Leaping? Or replanting?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
So once the NCAA changed the rule, I told dd over the summer to drive out as hard as she is able now and see what happens. She does have a slight leap now and it looks nothing like the pics above, and there is no way she is using her drag foot to push off again. Her lower half mechanics look completely different than above. She was a notorious ankle dragger so the leap has helped with it no longer being an anchor now. There is no way the above is just a leap.
Did she gain any velocity?

Aug 21, 2008
I believe he's a former men's fastpitch pitcher, so this is normal for him.
That requires a presumption that all male pitchers jump, leap, crow hop, etc. They do not. And I don't think Jason pitched that way. I didn't play against his teams too much, I guess it'd be safe to say we usually played at different levels.

I think the confusing part in some of this is the phase "2nd push" when discussing a crow hop. As if there is a 2nd jump after the first. Nobody is doing that!!! But on a dirt field, you can clearly see the pitcher's drag line happens from the place the back foot lands. I think a better phrase would simply be, pitching from somewhere that isn't the rubber. That would include the backfoot clearly landing with the ball still in hand. It would also cover the "gym step" that this video showed, which is essentially a "crow hop" without a the jumping part. Whether someone jumps, lands, pitches or does a gym step, neither are pitching from the rubber. Even the most egregious crow hopper pitchers I've seen do not land the back foot, then push again. They land, then pitch. Under the rules, it's illegal. And as I've said many times before, contrary to popular belief, this style of pitching is not "legal" in men's softball. It's just unenforced and nobody cares at the top level. As little as 20 years ago, if you were to take a crow hop pitcher and have him pitch in the lowest level of men's fastpitch, you'd probably hear some complaining from the guys about him jumping and cheating. But at the top level, where this happens a lot, it's not enforced and umpires love it because they don't have to worry about watching or listening to players whine about it. Shut up and play ball.

I have told Jason, the coach from the video that started this, that I think it's a mistake to dive in head first like he is, it might be prudent to see how the umpires are going to call this first. But he's pretty confident that this will be legal. Personally, I don't think so. I think this type jump in the video will get called. The sad part will be, even if Jason is right, there's going to be a lot of umpires who consider this illegal. And he is a pitching coach, not a team coach which means he's not going to be at all the tournaments of all his students to defend them to UIC's of tournaments. I worry that a lot of his pitchers will get called and not know how to adjust. In the end, if he's right... he will have a leg up on his pitching coach competition. IF he's wrong, he'll have a lot of egg on his face.

May 13, 2021
If you’re referring to my post - not sure what to tell you. I highly doubt my DD’s college PC would tell her that if she didn’t.
I am talking about the debate over the rules. Seems the people that write these do it with the intent to cause disagreement. The only reason they change them is to placate to the people playing the game that don't want to follow the current rules. Just make a simple rule that people can understand and make people follow it. Do you think if baseball pitchers started pushing off the rubber and replanting at the bottom of the mound before delivering the ball they would just throw up their hands and change the rule.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55