Landing Foot Rotation Into Toe Touch and Heel Plant

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2013
Is the foot angle set before toe touch, at toe touch, at heal plant, or is it based on pitch trajectory?

The foot angle isn't set until heel plant, as it is still rotating until the foot is planted. The landing angle of the foot really shouldn't vary 'cause it is a function of the hip rotation....which should be consistent regardless of type of pitch.

One take away from this video is that the focus should really be placed on the core/hip rotation vs on the foot angle. From pitcher to pitcher there is variation of foot landing angle and if you check the amount of hip rotation they have at time of release there is usually a direct correlation.

Is the foot angle set before toe touch, at toe touch, at heal plant, or is it based on pitch trajectory?

May 29, 2013
The foot angle isn't set until heel plant, as it is still rotating until the foot is planted. The landing angle of the foot really shouldn't vary 'cause it is a function of the hip rotation....which should be consistent regardless of type of pitch.

One take away from this video is that the focus should really be placed on the core/hip rotation vs on the foot angle. From pitcher to pitcher there is variation of foot landing angle and if you check the amount of hip rotation they have at time of release there is usually a direct correlation.

Ah, ok. So a too open or too closed stride/landing foot is a symptom of the hips either having stayed open or have been closed too much at heal plant. Does it seem like i understand that correctly?

Well, I think you understand the concept....but, I wouldn't use the term "too much"......everyone is a bit different. For example Monica Abbotts plant angle is probably only about 20 degrees which would indicate "more" hip rotation.....which I think is true for her. But I am not going to criticise someone who throws way over 70 mph.

Ah, ok. So a too open or too closed stride/landing foot is a symptom of the hips either having stayed open or have been closed too much at heal plant. Does it seem like i understand that correctly?

May 29, 2013
Well, I think you understand the concept....but, I wouldn't use the term "too much"......everyone is a bit different. For example Monica Abbotts plant angle is probably only about 20 degrees which would indicate "more" hip rotation.....which I think is true for her. But I am not going to criticise someone who throws way over 70 mph.

Gotcha. So to your topic, i do see similar movement of the rear leg on hitting vids. Does this mean that a large portion of the power or speed of a pitch is generated by the hips as with hitting?

Yes, Hips as in core hip torque. The chain moves from proximal (centerline/spine of the body) to distal (forearm, wrist,fingers) and then decelerates in that same order.....proximal first....distal last. It is like cracking a whip.

Gotcha. So to your topic, i do see similar movement of the rear leg on hitting vids. Does this mean that a large portion of the power or speed of a pitch is generated by the hips as with hitting?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13