Keep Alabama's Demi Turner in your thoughts.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
They are grown adults. Not up to us to question their decisions. When we step into the box we can decide for ourselves.

I take no issue with college players not wearing masks. I wish more of them would consider it, but I understand not doing it at that level. And yes with the rare exception of a 17 year old freshman they are all legal adults who can make their own decisions.

With respect to this particular play I'm pretty sure a mask would have prevented nearly all of the damage that was inflicted. Though I can't say that with 100% confidence.

And this seems like a really freak play that you could easily go 10 years and never see again.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
I think she was moving to make a possible double, was way off the bag and was In the wrong place at the wrong time. Prayers for her health and well being.

Inageee the mask would have prevented most damage except the concussion. But she would not have any broken bones most likely imo.

TMD

Feb 18, 2016
Ok. let's run with your theory.

#2 - Given the many players that go sans the mask, NCAA softball would have to be a cesspool of peer pressure. Some may argue that it is. But, I find it hard to believe that so many of the top players in the game are not wearing a mask due to peer pressure. The Romero sisters come to mind and I just do not find it plausible that they and others like them are pressured by peers into doing anything.

#3 - If you notice on almost any team some wear the mask, other do not. It is often a 50/50 or so split. Let's exclude slappers, since that is a different animal, just taking about those standing in and taking their hacks. Are we to believe that coaches are instructing some players to don a mask and other to go without? Again that is just not plausible.

I understand your reluctance to embrace #1 as the most plausible since you have skin in the game. But I have asked this of many a college player and right or wrong I have yet to get an answer that was not related to performance.

I guess my reluctance is that even if that's what they say, I don't believe that it's actually scientifically true (wish there was a study on this, but can't find one). Admittedly, I can only relate my own firsthand experience from playing hockey with and without a mask (and 29dad's comment above supports this). Like I said, I'll find out next year when my daughter gets to make that decision.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I guess my reluctance is that even if that's what they say, I don't believe that it's actually scientifically true (wish there was a study on this, but can't find one). Admittedly, I can only relate my own firsthand experience from playing hockey with and without a mask (and 29dad's comment above supports this). Like I said, I'll find out next year when my daughter gets to make that decision.

That could be that it does not make a difference.

But, let's run with that:

Let's assume that a mask does not hinder ones ability.
Who is most likely to be successful at the plate?

A) The player with the mask who believes it hinders their ability?

B) The player without the mask who believes it enhances their ability?

Note that you will get similar results with a rabbits foot or lucky socks. :)

TMD

Feb 18, 2016

Probably B...who ironically is probably also wearing an elbow guard, shin guard and/or foot guard...while religiously following her superstitious pre-AB routine of 3 helmet taps, 2 half practice swings, 3 quick spins of the bat while holding it in a vertical position, a quick foot swipe across the outer edge of the batters box, and repeating "I am special I am special I am special" under her breadth but visibly moving her lips. :)

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida

C) The player with the mask that believes it enhances their ability because they don't have to worry as much about getting a bad bounce ball to the face so they can attack even harder.

Seriously, this is exactly how many players I know absolutely think.

Mental state is a major factor in player performance. So yeah, even if you believe it has zero 'real' effect or offers no real protection or whatever, if it takes lucky socks or a mask to make you believe you play better, then so be it.

I am all for personal/parent choice here - people can choose either way in my mind. But it is unfair to think their is only one black and white scenario on how a mask effects how a player plays or feels.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England

A) The player with the mask who doesn't miss an at bat after getting hit in the mask?

B) The player without the mask who has surgery and misses the rest of the season after getting hit in the face?

I thought you were asking the wrong questions so I changed them.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I wear a face mask, while coaching 3rd.
I have seen 2 concussions this week. One, my player did not slide going home, and the catcher swatted her in the helmet. Two, a student of mine was hit by a thrown ball in 8th grade softball. There are many beginners on her team, and some of them are a liability.
What I see in the video, is a failure to communicate.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I thought you were asking the wrong questions so I changed them.

I was my intent to address the actual subject, not advance an agenda. :) The bottom line is that many players go without a mask and injuries are extremely rare. If the coaches were in anyway concerned they would required their players to wear them. The players are grown women capable of thinking for themselves.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32