JV or Varsity?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 22, 2012
With school ball coming up in a few months, my 10th grader DD will be trying out. Knowing the team and the coaches, I feel she will make the varsity team, but she won't be playing alot, since the girls at her main positions (2B and RF) are seniors, and truthfully, they are better players. She I encourage her to stay on a varsity team, where she won't play much, for the "experience" and a playoff run?....Or should I encourage her to tell the coach she would like to play on JV, where she would start every game and probably bat cleanup (plus her best friend is on the JV team) but there will be some bad competition and no playoffs. . She not sure what she wants to do. She also plays 16U TB so varsity pitching is nothing new. Anybody been in this situation?
When did parents & players decide what was best for school teams? If she stays on JV, she’ll never catch up to the players who have advanced to varsity.

CoachMikeD

Teach First, Win Later!
Dec 29, 2018
Conover NC
With school ball coming up in a few months, my 10th grader DD will be trying out. Knowing the team and the coaches, I feel she will make the varsity team, but she won't be playing alot, since the girls at her main positions (2B and RF) are seniors, and truthfully, they are better players. She I encourage her to stay on a varsity team, where she won't play much, for the "experience" and a playoff run?....Or should I encourage her to tell the coach she would like to play on JV, where she would start every game and probably bat cleanup (plus her best friend is on the JV team) but there will be some bad competition and no playoffs. . She not sure what she wants to do. She also plays 16U TB so varsity pitching is nothing new. Anybody been in this situation?
It depends if the coach gives her the choice. Otherwise it's the coach's decision. He/she will hopefully put your daughter where the coach thinks the team AND your daughter will benefit the most. The coach may want to prepare your daughter to take a certain position for next year. If that's the case, then she is probably better off on Varsity. I would also qualify it by asking how good the JV team is. I've seen JV teams that would beat other varsities because the program is that strong. I've seen teams whose varsity is a powerhouse yet their JV is mediocre. Each year, each school can be different. If your daughter ASKS to be on JV, that may give the coach the wrong impression and the coach may look for another potential to move up. Many younger players often lack the confidence, even when they have talent, to take the responsibility of being a varsity player. Hopefully, if the coach really sees her as varsity for next year, he/she will encourage your daughter in the right way to accept the challenge to move up.

Dec 31, 2015
Orange County, CA
Always play where the coaching and competition is better. If she was a pitcher, she would want more circle time to develop, and being the number 4 on V wouldn't help so JV would probably be best. But as a position player, you should remind her that as a sophomore she can begin earning that starting position for next year now, by showing her coaches her hard work ethic, and ability to learn and make adjustments.

My DD just started HS and is a Freshman Varsity catcher. And although the starter is a Junior and the other two catchers are older girls, she is learning a heck of a lot from them and already moved up to the #3. She will most likely play behind the starter who is incredible (Oklahoma commit) for the next couple years, but since she is the starter on our TB team, she gets plenty of time behind the dish, and this is actually a welcomed break.

Always challenge yourself to get better, good luck kiddo..!
;) ~~Coach C

Aug 18, 2019
As a freshman this year my daughter batted varsity and played SS or 3rd base on JV but did not bat. She had never played 3rd, but jumped in anywhere they asked her so they could see her ability. It was tough at first but half way through the season her position opened on varsity so she was able to bat and play 1st base the rest of the season.
Hopefully your daughter could do the same, be ready to go in on varsity as needed and get her playing time on JV.

May 20, 2015
i hate seniority and priority given to older kids just based on age

i get on things being more or less equal, go with the older girl most times......but playing kids simply because they are older, which happens a ton here, is lame

our HS coach started 4 freshman last year....and had his best season in years......but when he was at the all-conference meeting, he put my DD's numbers out there (.522, OBP just under .700, 28rbi in 16 games......light schedule here in the northeast)....the first question out of another coaches mouth was "what year is she?".....he looked at her and said what the hell does that matter, find me another 2B in the league with better numbers, and I'll vote for her as the best in the conference.....she made 2nd team, behind a senior who hit 150 points lower and made 5 times as many errors (5 to 1) in almost the exact number of chances (think it was within 1 chance)........DD actually ended up having better offensive numbers than CPOY, and she was pissed lol

Apr 16, 2016
One of the biggest problems with this whole situation is that you have already pigeon holed your DD as a 2B/RF. As a HS coach I want my best 9 ball players on the field at all times. All positions are always open and all players are interchangeable. Talent knows no age, and there are no bonus points for seniority.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619