Just when I'm ready to teach extention "Turn the Triangle" looks pretty good

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Cabrera_96o_94i_85o_80i_sync.gif

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
To me, educated hands is the mastering of "locations" - the most powerful and efficient way of getting the handle to a position to deliver the barrel to/thru the ball (check out the Braun drill). A hitter first learns how to do this consciously. Then it should become read/react based on reading/predicting.

Dec 11, 2010
It does make sense.

Both of those gifs are gems.

"Premature casting" vs. "casting". Absolutely.

Nothing to add, just soaking it up.

Nov 9, 2013
First, I agree with much of what Jack Mankin teaches about rotational hitting mechanics. He understands where power comes from and how to transfer that power into the ball. However, he is wrong about extension. He is correct in his video that the elbows should stay the same distance apart as the upper body rotates. However, as the upper body rotates powerfully in his "power triangle" position, at some point before impact with the ball, the velocity of the rotation will naturally cause the elbows to extend fully at or just after impact. With my hitters, I call this "lightning", because when that power triangle turns into a "Power V" with the arms fully extended, it's like a bolt of lightning. I can't imagine asking hitters to hold themselves back to remain in Jack's power triangle position through impact. Hitters with full extension at impact have higher bat speeds that hitters who do not extend their arms. I can prove that easily and objectively with a swing speed radar.

Like Jack, I can post dozens of videos, including some of the same softball hitters in his video with full extension at impact, resulting in home runs. I can also post dozens of videos of the best hitters in Major League Baseball who enjoy full extension at impact. Denying the importance of full extension at or immediately after impact is a disservice to softball hitters and will constrain young hitters from realizing their power potential.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I just saw this video on another thread. Cabrera's swing sure looks like full extension at impact to me. I often show my students videos of his swing to help make my point about how full extension is one of the keys to real power after the rotation of the body. Check it out... ESPN Sport Science: Miguel the Masher - ESPN Video

Yes it is a good one to look at. You can see the triangle and you can see him lose the triangle. I have embedded a short version here to watch: P.S. "Keep the front shoulder in there"...maybe not.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
Pelvis/hips open, front shoulder still squared to the plate. Keep the front shoulder in there.... YES!
That CUE can work for your some hitters....
Pelvis open Front Shoulder closed.jpg

Yes it is a good one to look at. You can see the triangle and you can see him lose the triangle. I have embedded a short version here to watch: P.S. "Keep the front shoulder in there"...maybe not.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I just saw this video on another thread. Cabrera's swing sure looks like full extension at impact to me. I often show my students videos of his swing to help make my point about how full extension is one of the keys to real power after the rotation of the body. Check it out... ESPN Sport Science: Miguel the Masher - ESPN Video

I see it as Cabrera's rear arm is in the process of being extended going into & through impact.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles