Just curious

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2010
My daughter displays great confidence when she's on the mound in a softball game, but she also wanted to play volleyball and in volleyball, she just isn't aggressive and doesn't seem to fit in with the other players. Are any of your "little pitchers" geared to being a one-sport athlete? I'm starting to think mine is.

Dec 10, 2010
A, A
My daughter does softball and basketball. She loves both, but I think she is better at softball. Basketball is just fun for her. But, she is just as aggressive at both

Oct 12, 2009
My daughter displays great confidence when she's on the mound in a softball game, but she also wanted to play volleyball and in volleyball, she just isn't aggressive and doesn't seem to fit in with the other players. Are any of your "little pitchers" geared to being a one-sport athlete? I'm starting to think mine is.

Is she a good server?

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Both of my daughters were pretty much softball-only. They tried other sports, but those sports didn't interest them. They loved softball, though.

With your daughter and volleyball it could just be the team. Maybe a different team would fit her better. If not, that's ok too. Nothing wrong with a kid specializing in one sport, or in playing multiple sports. It all depends on what interests her.

Oct 10, 2010
Chris, she's an excellent server - probably the best on the team, but she's just so-so with the rest of it! Do you think that comes from the strength that she has as a pitcher?

Oct 12, 2009
Chris, she's an excellent server - probably the best on the team, but she's just so-so with the rest of it! Do you think that comes from the strength that she has as a pitcher?

My older son was like that.

He was OK on the court but was lights out when serving; he was impossible to ice.

I think there's a lot of overlap between the two roles.

P.S. He doesn't have the edge to play baseball in HS, but he's going to play golf. I'm thinking the same "good when the pressure's on" mentality will transfer over.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2010

She might be. If she's early in the process, then playing multiple sports may be okay. If she's committed, or close, then playing sports where her fingers might get jammed, broken, etc. might not be the smartest move she makes. :cool:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
My oldest DD was one-sport athlete and my DD youngest lettered in 4 sports in high school. There was a difference in personalities between the two.

My oldest loved softball and loved to pitch. She played other sports in middle school and for a couple of years of high school, but she just wasn't into them. She had tremendous success at softball at an early age. It was tough for her to be simply 'one of many good players' at the other sports. She liked being the top dog on the softball team, and she didn't like someone else being the top dog on the other teams.

The youngest was different. She was a natural athlete and enjoyed success at lots of different sports. She didn't really like one sport more than the others. She ended up being a basketball player, but primarily because she could always find a basketball game.

Last edited:

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Mama B, my daughter has played many different sports. She is a big girl (5'10" 220lbs at 15) and she loves to terrify from the circle; she is unshakable and if she hits a batter (never on purpose) she doesn't bat an eye even if they try to stare her down on the way to first. The only other sport that she has kept up with is basketball and is not aggressive at all, it seems like she is afraid to hurt other players... Go figure...

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My daughter will play any sport. She played volleyball this past fall, I think it will help her pitching. There is space between each play of volleyball, and if you make a mistake you have to let it go and get ready for the next service. Just like pitching. You have to let the last pitch go and work on the next one. Where as in basketball you are running after your mistake and you tend to channel your anger into the play, you can't do that from the mound.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877