Jordyn Bahl

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I don’t post much, so I will leave this go at this point. But as I said at the outset, I think this debate is really misplaced because it celebrates a rule and not an athlete.

The “core issue” is not consistency or inadvertence. To steal Westwind’s example, I consistently drive more than 4 mph over the speed limit. Everywhere. Every time. But I never go more than 9 mph over. I am a consistent and serial rule violator, as are a lot of other drivers. In fact, I never drive legally for this reason. Should I lose my license? Should the other drivers? Or should the police devote their resources to other issues and maybe just cite me now and again but not that often?

The problem with your position, to me, is that you have no evidence whatsoever supporting the utility of a rule prohibiting leaping. It’s nothing like bans on performance enhancing substances (even if the substances are taken by mistake or even if they don’t work), because those bans exist to deter behavior that is proven with evidence to aid performance. There is no such evidence here. So you are arguing that a rule should be enforced just because it is a rule. That is a fine argument if you believe that every person who goes 4 mph over should stop driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
STATE TROOPER: I stopped you because you were driving 79 in a 70mph zone.

DRIVER: I was going the same speed as everyone else!

STATE TROOPER: Ever go fishing?

DRIVER: Yes, every chance I get.

STATE TROOPER: Ever catch all the fish?

Just because a rule is not enforced 100% of the time does not change the fact that it is illegal. Just because the rule does not make sense, used to be different, you feel it should be changed, or provides no "utility" does not change the fact that it is illegal. Stay within the rules and this is never an issue. Get caught and suck it up. You were in the wrong.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2012
USA
I'm just curious, was there a 20 page thread on the "replant" used by Gabbie Plain? Granted I don't spend time dissecting, studying, and reviewing videos of pitchers the way some people do but, her replant seems more egregious than Bahl's or anyone's. Is this cause Jordy is the new kid around the block? Cause more organizations are allowing the leap so it's in the forefront of our brains? Cause she's with the champs Oklahoma? Cause she dominated UCLA?

I'm not trying to throw Gabbie under the bus, I'm just curious if people spent equal time worrying about pitchers that there is NO DOUBT it's a crowhop. Bahl seems to have a 50-50 split from the "experts" as to if she leaps or crow hops. Granted both are technically illegal under the NCAA rules, but I think its safe to say a crow hop is considered a bigger crime in people's minds.
EXCELLENT POST.....was just waiting for someone to say that. Pretty sure outside of KB there isn't another post about any other pitcher to this length (of course I am adding to it here so pointing the finger at myself as well). Yes, so many replanters have never gotten this amount of attention. Plain, Carda, KB, the list goes on and on and all replanters yet leap a bit and here we are.

That said, I do think Bahl is a study and a discussion, just not in the illegal way it is now. Her mechanics look more like men's pitching than anyone I have seen over the years and I am not talking about a leap. Yes, have I seen a leap with her? YES. I have seen a large leap, a small leap, with most leaps barely visible unless you are laser focused on it. It is her other mechanics that stand out that makes people want to focus on her. She looks DIFFERENT. @Hillhouse she looks like you to be honest and many men pitchers. But it is the leap which we focus on and not the other things that create the attention in my opinion.

If she was replanting......I would have a very different opinion.

Again, not here to say follow rules, break rules, etc. I just think she is a fascinating study and looks like nobody else in the game right now. Just IMHO.

Lastly, been watching the St. Pete Clearwater tourney today. Have seen leaping, replanting, and tons of GYM STEPPING yet not seeing any posts about that.

And not knocking the OP at all. But the girls doing the above in the last sentence look like typical pitchers. Bahl looks different than any other and she will continue to attract attention where these other girls won't. She is different and not because of the her leaping.....IMHO

S3

Oct 26, 2019
EXCELLENT POST.....was just waiting for someone to say that. Pretty sure outside of KB there isn't another post about any other pitcher to this length (of course I am adding to it here so pointing the finger at myself as well). Yes, so many replanters have never gotten this amount of attention. Plain, Carda, KB, the list goes on and on and all replanters yet leap a bit and here we are.

That said, I do think Bahl is a study and a discussion, just not in the illegal way it is now. Her mechanics look more like men's pitching than anyone I have seen over the years and I am not talking about a leap. Yes, have I seen a leap with her? YES. I have seen a large leap, a small leap, with most leaps barely visible unless you are laser focused on it. It is her other mechanics that stand out that makes people want to focus on her. She looks DIFFERENT. @Hillhouse she looks like you to be honest and many men pitchers. But it is the leap which we focus on and not the other things that create the attention in my opinion.

If she was replanting......I would have a very different opinion.

Again, not here to say follow rules, break rules, etc. I just think she is a fascinating study and looks like nobody else in the game right now. Just IMHO.

Lastly, been watching the St. Pete Clearwater tourney today. Have seen leaping, replanting, and tons of GYM STEPPING yet not seeing any posts about that.

And not knocking the OP at all. But the girls doing the above in the last sentence look like typical pitchers. Bahl looks different than any other and she will continue to attract attention where these other girls won't. She is different and not because of the her leaping.....IMHO

S3
This put into words exactly how I feel about it. Bahl’s lower half looks like the men when she pitches - her legs almost scissor as she drives off the mound.

Jul 16, 2019
Her mechanics look more like men's pitching than anyone I have seen over the years and I am not talking about a leap.

S3
Agree that her rhythm is similar to men pitchers, which strongly suggests that she replanted, as almost all men pitchers do. We just do not have a good angle to confirm. One clip on PGF from the prior year does show she replanted.

It is unfair that some pitchers could pitch illegally because if other girls know they could do the same thing, they would learn to do it. Like this video, they teach girl crow hop like men

Nov 25, 2012
USA
Agree that her rhythm is similar to men pitchers, which strongly suggests that she replanted, as almost all men pitchers do. We just do not have a good angle to confirm. One clip on PGF from the prior year does show she replanted.

It is unfair that some pitchers could pitch illegally because if other girls know they could do the same thing, they would learn to do it. Like this video, they teach girl crow hop like men

First let me say I love Japan pitching videos!!!!!! I have tons of them bookmarked over the years.....and I mean tons. They have their own way of pitching and it is fascinating. So much to learn from them.

That said, because her rhythm is similar to men doesn't mean she repants. She looks alot like the video you posted but her foot looks nothing like it. It just doesn't. But if you have video please post it because I have yet to see it.

I think what @Towny9 said about the leg scissor is what most are seeing and a good post and observation.

But good post and thoughts but the replant like the video above doesn't exist or I at least I haven't seen it yet.

S3

Jul 16, 2019
First let me say I love Japan pitching videos!!!!!! I have tons of them bookmarked over the years.....and I mean tons. They have their own way of pitching and it is fascinating. So much to learn from them.

That said, because her rhythm is similar to men doesn't mean she repants. She looks alot like the video you posted but her foot looks nothing like it. It just doesn't. But if you have video please post it because I have yet to see it.

I think what @Towny9 said about the leg scissor is what most are seeing and a good post and observation.

But good post and thoughts but the replant like the video above doesn't exist or I at least I haven't seen it yet.

S3
Proof of replant
Screenshot_20220213-080134_VLC~2.jpg

Nov 25, 2012
USA
Proof of replant
First, I thought we were talking about the OU Sooners Jordan Bahl so I may have missed something here..... Not interested in Travel Ball, Rec Ball, or what they did in T-Ball.....
First, I thought we were talking about the OU Sooners Jordan Bahl so I may have missed something here..... Not interested in Travel Ball, Rec Ball, or what they did in T-Ball.....

With that said, you have my attention and I am interested in discussing for sure. What do you see in this "still" photo?

And secondly, how is this still "PROOF" of a replant?

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020

I would say shes in a gray area with replanting. The sole of her foot never touches the ground (maybe the very tips of her toes do sometimes) and her drive leg never re-straightens.

Like strike3 said she just looks "different". And she's on the best team.

My opinion is call an IP if the sole of the foot touches the ground after it leaves the rubber. Lettem leap a few inches. OR adopt WBSC rules(like the asian pitcher is doing). Cat and carda and plain et al are perfectly legal by those rules.

Apr 12, 2015
Its a leap, but not a replant. A replant will always have the characteristic "hitch" in the arm circle, where the circle pauses and waits for the replant. Bahl has no such hitch. In men's pitching, it is obvious.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00