Jordyn Bahl

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Help me understand the connection Rad. I'm not getting it. :)
For some people the rule is more important then acknowledging there can be inconsistency on the field. Which can and does affect some people composure and not others.

From umpire to umpire could really wreck some people! Could be tough situation for them.

Last edited:

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I spent a good amount of time at the Hofstra field, back then the access to the visitor's bullpen was exceptional. You could look down from the stands at the pitchers, with a direct line of sight from behind the catchers. With nothing but net in front of you. That's probably changed now.
Yeah, they've locked down the campus now. You can't even go on the campus if you haven't been jabbed. Security has been tight for a few years now ever since a student was shot and killed at her off-campus house.

Aug 21, 2008
I'm just curious, was there a 20 page thread on the "replant" used by Gabbie Plain? Granted I don't spend time dissecting, studying, and reviewing videos of pitchers the way some people do but, her replant seems more egregious than Bahl's or anyone's. Is this cause Jordy is the new kid around the block? Cause more organizations are allowing the leap so it's in the forefront of our brains? Cause she's with the champs Oklahoma? Cause she dominated UCLA?

I'm not trying to throw Gabbie under the bus, I'm just curious if people spent equal time worrying about pitchers that there is NO DOUBT it's a crowhop. Bahl seems to have a 50-50 split from the "experts" as to if she leaps or crow hops. Granted both are technically illegal under the NCAA rules, but I think its safe to say a crow hop is considered a bigger crime in people's minds.

Jul 31, 2015
An US ice skater in the 2000 Olympics was immediately disqualified after her coach admitted he inadvertently gave her cold medicine which contained a banned substance.

An American track star was banned from the 2021 Summer Olympics after she tested positive for THC, which is legal in some jurisdictions and not performance-enhancing, but prohibited by the IOC.

Russia is not competing at the Olympics under their national banner because of state-sponsored doping at the 2014 Olympics. Two days ago one of their ice skaters - the #1 skater in the world - tested positive for a banned substance; she is being allowed to compete while her case is under investigation.

There is a difference between one-off infractions and systemic cheating. But, often, when cheating is associated with powerful entities or stars who attract attention and money to the sport, the treatment they receive is deferential and quite different from those less powerful.

For some people, the end justifies the means.

Several of us here on DFP are saying no, it doesn't.

Difficult to see how these two world views can be reconciled.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
... They could all tape a 3 inch rubber rod on their drive toe and be within the rules. I hope they all start doing that so we can watch the softball.
That was tried several years ago by Cal. NCAA said nope!

May 17, 2012
An US ice skater in the 2000 Olympics was immediately disqualified after her coach admitted he inadvertently gave her cold medicine which contained a banned substance.

An American track star was banned from the 2021 Summer Olympics after she tested positive for THC, which is legal in some jurisdictions and not performance-enhancing, but prohibited by the IOC.

Russia is not competing at the Olympics under their national banner because of state-sponsored doping at the 2014 Olympics. Two days ago one of their ice skaters - the #1 skater in the world - tested positive for a banned substance; she is being allowed to compete while her case is under investigation.

There is a difference between one-off infractions and systemic cheating. But, often, when cheating is associated with powerful entities or stars who attract attention and money to the sport, the treatment they receive is deferential and quite different from those less powerful.

For some people, the end justifies the means.

Several of us here on DFP are saying no, it doesn't.

Difficult to see how these two world views can be reconciled.

Those things are not equivalent.

Sep 15, 2015
Consistent cheating vs inadvertent violation of the rules is the core issue.

I don’t post much, so I will leave this go at this point. But as I said at the outset, I think this debate is really misplaced because it celebrates a rule and not an athlete.

The “core issue” is not consistency or inadvertence. To steal Westwind’s example, I consistently drive more than 4 mph over the speed limit. Everywhere. Every time. But I never go more than 9 mph over. I am a consistent and serial rule violator, as are a lot of other drivers. In fact, I never drive legally for this reason. Should I lose my license? Should the other drivers? Or should the police devote their resources to other issues and maybe just cite me now and again but not that often?

The problem with your position, to me, is that you have no evidence whatsoever supporting the utility of a rule prohibiting leaping. It’s nothing like bans on performance enhancing substances (even if the substances are taken by mistake or even if they don’t work), because those bans exist to deter behavior that is proven with evidence to aid performance. There is no such evidence here. So you are arguing that a rule should be enforced just because it is a rule. That is a fine argument if you believe that every person who goes 4 mph over should stop driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles