Jordyn Bahl

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 31, 2015
"Agree, but the rules can't change on a dime."

WHY??? If you're a business owner and you have a problem, you don't say we can't make changes or make decisions but every 2 years. You would not be in business very long. The building is on fire. Well we will decide to call or not call the fire department next off season. Really?? See a problem? Fix a problem.
But I agree if you are too inept to fix the problem, THEN man up and enforce the rule as is.

Who owns softball?

And how is it on fire?

Most pitchers seem to follow the rules pretty well.

What harm in waiting til the offseason, getting input from all sides, and then making a thoughtful decision?

Feb 15, 2017
Yes, this is what I referred to earlier in this thread when responding to what RiseBall had to say about her lower body mechanics. In Bahl's case she seems to be generating significant ground force and is getting fantastic drive IMHO. If that were directed slightly more forward and less "up" she likely would be getting called for the IP les and probably even gain more speed (assuming she is still getting the timing of her arm circle and brush correct, like she is now).

I'll keep watching but I'm not seeing the replant in her current work?

Someone else had mentioned that a leap could become somewhat of a habit given the trench & dirt right in front of the rubber and I completely agree. That is something that I've discussed with my own DD about not getting caught in the tracks of other pitchers who often have a much different foot path than she does. If you're a heavy dragger being in that ditch will definitely alter your own glide path, accuracy and timing.
I think this is more of an issue who threw harder as a youngster and matured ealier. If a pitcher is throwing harder than most, a pitching coach is more likely not to mess with her. A pitcher that is still physically developing and throwing at an above average speed will have a coach that spends or should spend more time working on fundamentals. Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Feb 15, 2017
I streamed Illinois versus LSU and the umpiring crew called an Illinios pitcher at least eight or nine times for leaping. Enforcing more this year?

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I streamed Illinois versus LSU and the umpiring crew called an Illinios pitcher at least eight or nine times for leaping. Enforcing more this year?

Umps putting pressure on other umps.
This too.
"I’m hoping it’s just an early season “point of emphasis” they let go soon. VT’s Fr Emma Lemley K’d 16 vs Wisconsin in her debut but they called her for 22 illegals, ended up with 8 BBs & kept Wisc in the game despite them getting 1 hit it was 5-4 Hokies. Garbage umpiring"

Not sure why it is "garbage umpiring." The rule is clear.

The “point of emphasis” should be, we have a problem, there is an elephant in the room.

Feb 25, 2020
Umps putting pressure on other umps.
This too.
"I’m hoping it’s just an early season “point of emphasis” they let go soon. VT’s Fr Emma Lemley K’d 16 vs Wisconsin in her debut but they called her for 22 illegals, ended up with 8 BBs & kept Wisc in the game despite them getting 1 hit it was 5-4 Hokies. Garbage umpiring"

Not sure why it is "garbage umpiring." The rule is clear.

The “point of emphasis” should be, we have a problem, there is an elephant in the room.

To me this is an entirely different entity than the barnhills and cardas (and ostermans) who all replant with the sole of their drive foot on the ground before the stride foot lands.

I just dont think this tiny leap provides any signicant advantage. They could all tape a 3 inch rubber rod on their drive toe and be within the rules. I hope they all start doing that so we can watch the softball.

Jul 31, 2015
Strange that people would think moving your foot through the air instead of dragging it on the ground, would not confer an advantage.

And if leaping doesn’t provide an advantage then why is it banned?

Nov 9, 2021
Strange that people would think moving your foot through the air instead of dragging it on the ground, would not confer an advantage.

And if leaping doesn’t provide an advantage then why is it banned?

I think the main reason leaping is banned is because it is really hard to tell when someone is replanting most of the time at game speed. I think most agree that replanting gives an unfair advantage. I think they did away with leaping in general just to make it an easier call on the umpires. Not sure what solution is best but they need to come up with something that is equal across the board and keep it that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
Let the pitchers do what they want as long as they start on the rubber and pitch from inside the circle. That would be the easiest to police.That is basically what goes on with the men’s game from what I understand. Nobody is there to watch the umpires..no need to turn softball into MS field hockey.

Today’s hitters are good enough to handle that (coupled with bat tech) and have it not cripple the game. I would also then require pitchers to wear face masks..

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019

To me this is an entirely different entity than the barnhills and cardas (and ostermans) who all replant with the sole of their drive foot on the ground before the stride foot lands.

I just dont think this tiny leap provides any signicant advantage. They could all tape a 3 inch rubber rod on their drive toe and be within the rules. I hope they all start doing that so we can watch the softball.

In my opinion, Lemley is leaping, Bahl is replanting. Lemley leaps higher, while Bahl jumps to the left. Pics of how they land. Very difficult to see the difference real time.

A11E9A88-34D0-46F7-B0B6-53694C460137.jpegA002F01A-8DA2-41A2-92EF-55E8CC970D82.jpeg

Jun 27, 2021
Skippy

Kelly Barnhill part II

Either change the rule or call it - every time.

Ridiculous.

She generates so much force pushing off the mound and the toe gliding. She has a small off the mound space before her drag starts. Kelly brought the knee up and flat footed on her drag which caused hers to be questioned. Bahl is was a stud in travel and will be a great one at Oklahoma. Great hitters can hit, fast, slow, legal or "illegal"... those that can't make excuses.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01