"It's up to my judgment and discretion"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
ASA

B1 starts off batting righty. With 1 strike, coach sees corners shifting, so he directs batter to switch to the left side, which she does after being granted time out by the PU. With 2 strikes, coach tells her to go back to the other side. She requests time out again and it's granted, but when she starts to move back to the other side, the umpire tells her that she cannot switch sides again.

HC (coaching 3B) asks for time and a meeting with the PU. PU says the 'rule' (he used that word) is that a batter can only change sides once during an at-bat. HC asks whether the PU can show him that in the rule book. There's a little more to the conversation, including a question as to whether the area UIC would give the same answer and then finally, the PU says "It's also up to my judgment and discretion", to which the coach replies that he's not talking about judgment, but rather a specific rule.

Is there any rule set or former ASA rule that supports the umpire's claim?

Jun 22, 2008
No such rule. Batter can switch sides of the batters box as many times as they wish. The only rule governing it if they do not ask for time and step from one box to the other in front of the catcher after the pitcher has taken position on the pitching plate and the catcher is in position to receive the pitch. Then the batter would be out.

EDIT: And just to clarify, if the batter does request and is granted time it doesnt matter if the pitcher is in position or not when they step from one box to the other.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2013
Those non rules are impossible to argue. You have a chance when there is actually a rule that you can discuss. :)

Mar 15, 2014
Is there any rule set or former ASA rule that supports the umpire's claim?

No-there is a myth that a batter cannot change batting sides with a 2 strike count, but that is just a myth.

ConorMacleod

Practice Like You Play
Jul 30, 2012
If the pitcher was already in position, the Umpire could have just denied the time out, thus preventing the switch again. No?

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
If the pitcher was already in position, the Umpire could have just denied the time out, thus preventing the switch again. No?

But the umpire DID grant the batter time, so nothing should have happened other then the batter moving to the other bb

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
If you were playing an ASA tournament, The response to this statement by the PU:

...the 'rule' is that a batter can only change sides once during an at-bat.

Should be this...I would like to protest your rule interpretation, please bring the UIC to the field.

I realize that a protest is not always practical or available at all events, but this is one way make sure that this particular PU learns the proper ruling in this scenario.

Jun 11, 2013
Ajay, you might be technically right about calling UIC over, but I question protesting in this situation even if you are right. Either way you get a hitter up with 2 strikes and you make the PU look stupid in front of a lot of people. You can be sure at some place later in the tournament you'll an IP called or someone leaving early when it really matters.

On the OP, I'm not sure what the level of play is, but IMHO just let the kids get up to the plate and hit.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
HC asks whether the PU can show him that in the rule book.

With some of the gentlemen I've worked with, the HC would have been shown the direction to the parking lot.

And - since the OP doesn't say otherwise - the batter has already looked at 2 strike, one from each side of the plate. HC looks to be really micromanaging at this point IMHO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32