Can the offense appeal a checked swing called a strike?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2011
NFHS Game

One last rule question, then I will let this 4-2 playoff loss go.

Can the plate umpire be asked by the offense to get help with the BU on a check swing the PU called a strike? Is he allowed to call it a ball if the BU says she didn't go? The BU allowed the offense to appeal and reversed his call from Strike to Ball. Instead of striking out, the Batter walked two pitches later and scored that inning.

Searching online it appears the PU was wrong to change the strike to a ball, but I can't find it anywhere. Does this come under the concept a strike is a judgement call and can't be appealed?

Sounds like our coach was appealing that the PU in the A position can't see to call swing/no swing on a lefty. We had a PU at another game refuse to let the defense appeal because in his judgement the BU couldn't make that determination from the C position.

We made 4 defensive errors and 3 baserunning errors, but this would have made it a 3-2 loss and changed the momentum of the game.

I was standing slightly to the left of the camera, and it looked like she broke her wrists from that angle.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2015
NFHS Game

One last rule question, then I will let this 4-2 playoff loss go.

Can the plate umpire be asked by the offense to get help with the BU on a check swing the PU called a strike? Is he allowed to call it a ball if the BU says she didn't go? The BU allowed the offense to appeal and reversed his call from Strike to Ball. Instead of striking out, the Batter walked two pitches later and scored that inning.

Searching online it appears the PU was wrong to change the strike to a ball, but I can't find it anywhere. Does this come under the concept a strike is a judgement call and can't be appealed?

Sounds like our coach was appealing that the PU in the A position can't see to call swing/no swing on a lefty. We had a PU at another game refuse to let the defense appeal because in his judgement the BU couldn't make that determination from the C position.

We made 4 defensive errors and 3 baserunning errors, but this would have made it a 3-2 loss and changed the momentum of the game.

I was standing slightly to the left of the camera, and it looked like she broke her wrists from that angle.

Looks like it was a very interesting game lol

So the perfect answer if everything is done correctly is, yes once the plate umpire calls it a strike because the batter swung at it then that is what it is. I guess the theory is if you believe so much she swung then there is no reason to ask. The check swing asking only goes one way, the defense asking the plate umpire to check with the base umpire if there was a swing.

From seeing the video what probably actually happened was the plate umpire got caught off guard and flinch to the high and inside pitch and just guessed what happened. Maybe the offense coaches saw that and figured, hey looks he didnt really see that so lets asked. Maybe the plate guy realized he wasnt really sure and figured let me just ask my partner because deep down i really dont know what happened. So much for getting the call right lol.

I guess if i was in that situation on the bases and for whatever reason the plate umpire asked me if the batter swung and I saw him flinch big like that is I would call time and go talk with him. Basically tell him you cant change it but if he wasnt sure and guessed and IF I THOUGHT IT WAS A VERY OBVIOUS NO SWING then tell him he needs to own up to his mistake and explained to the defense why he was changing it because he flinched and missed the swing action. But I would leave the decision up to him with what he would want to do.

The whole oh the base guy cant see depending where they are is stupid i think. People can see the swing just fine from the dugouts, from the stands, from the outfield fence. The only thing that actually matters is "whether the bat actually struck at the ball". You can make that determination anywhere and if you are not sure then stay with what the plate umpire ruled.

Jan 22, 2011
Thanks. Obscure calls like this are why I try to opt out of doing the end of season rec tournament. I was taught by an old timer to stay in there and take it like a man. I did almost miss a swing at a high pitch my last rec game.

One thing I was taught that, especially at the younger ages, if you are a little unsure of a call, watch the body language of player and their body language may give you a clue. That is embarrassing when I as the PU miss a swing at a high pitch that everyone else sees. My DD lost a 10u pool play game when a single umpire missed swing at a high pitch with two strikes and the player hit a grand slam on the next pitch.

Like I've noted elsewhere, I'm going to try to do a few HS games next year, then do them in 2024, so I'm trying to clarification on some obscure calls so I get them right. Was asked to do a couple this spring but turned it down because of being rusty after only doing four games total in 2020 and 2021.

We had two starters choose to not play because of a senior trip. Not extremely upset because of the players missing a lot of activities sophomore and junior year, but annoyed. Especially since I was an AC last year and had to do some arm twisting to get enough players to do CCS, but as juniors they really wanted to play the CCS game. It was a very winnable game with even one between our starting catcher and starting SS being there.

Going to be a good sport and watch the other team's next game. I'm friends with two parents on the other team.

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
One thing I was taught that, especially at the younger ages, if you are a little unsure of a call, watching the body language of player and their body language may give you a clue.
That is why selling the play can work... with body language.

And younger ages toy with parents on who did this situations 😁😂

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
From what I know, and keep in mind that I am an ex-expert, the offense can request that the plate umpire request help on the check swing/strike call. However, the plate umpire does not have to ask. Also, I know that the best umpires in my area will not react to a player's request. They wait until the plate umpire points for help.

Jan 11, 2015
Thanks. Obscure calls like this are why I try to opt out of doing the end of season rec tournament. I was taught by an old timer to stay in there and take it like a man. I did almost miss a swing at a high pitch my last rec game.

One thing I was taught that, especially at the younger ages, if you are a little unsure of a call, watch the body language of player and their body language may give you a clue. That is embarrassing when I as the PU miss a swing at a high pitch that everyone else sees. My DD lost a 10u pool play game when a single umpire missed swing at a high pitch with two strikes and the player hit a grand slam on the next pitch.

Like I've noted elsewhere, I'm going to try to do a few HS games next year, then do them in 2024, so I'm trying to clarification on some obscure calls so I get them right. Was asked to do a couple this spring but turned it down because of being rusty after only doing four games total in 2020 and 2021.

We had two starters choose to not play because of a senior trip. Not extremely upset because of the players missing a lot of activities sophomore and junior year, but annoyed. Especially since I was an AC last year and had to do some arm twisting to get enough players to do CCS, but as juniors they really wanted to play the CCS game. It was a very winnable game with even one between our starting catcher and starting SS being there.

Going to be a good sport and watch the other team's next game. I'm friends with two parents on the other team.
Keep posting and asking questions. I would say start as soon as possible. Alot of people always say they regret not starting sooner when they really enjoy doing it. Plus another thing, the sooner you start the sooner you will learn and get better. Most of this stuff you will only learn by actually being on the field and getting reps in. On the field learning is the best and yeah you going to mess up but you will learn from the experience.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles