Is softball for every person?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
is softball for all people / players?

Does the sport present some obstacles that are too great for some people to get over,
like fear of failure, embarrassment
or fear of getting injured?

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
After months of training defensive skills for a 1st yr 14U team. A couple of parents from the team saw me watching a tournament game and approach me to ask about their daughter. I was not the coach of the team just brought in to help train them.
Their daughter always seemed most hesitant either with the ball approaching her or her approaching the ball.

The parents proceeded to say they see the development of the team and how the players are responding to the coaches practices and the defensive training. They see their daughter has not developed as much as the others. They asked what to do. I commented that she may be afraid to fail in front of her peers and Friends. So she may remain hesitant. Another thing may happen is that she may be afraid of the ball with this suggestion you may want to get her a Fielding mask and or a Heart Guard shirt to wear to help protect her to build some sort of confidence over the fear. I would suggest taking her to some Fielding workouts where she is away from her teammates and Friends so that she may not be as embarrassed in front of her friends but still will have to get over the fear of both the ball and the fear of failing in front of other people. And either case if she intends to continue playing softball you may want to take some of these suggestions and see how it goes otherwise she may want to take up knitting.

The parents took this conversation back to their team's coach and proceeded to tell him we talked to Coach turbo about our daughter and she said that she's afraid of the ball and should take up knitting. The coach called me and said did you say that I said they left out a big chunk of the story and the suggestion is that if she's not able to get over these hurdles she may want to find something else to do otherwise her performance will continue to be limited. If you do choose to take up knitting enjoy it
Unless I knew the parents, I wouldn't have said that. 90%+ of parents are not going to respond to that comment very well, despite its truthfulness.

Feb 12, 2014
Whoever said honesty is always the best policy wasn't being honest.

Don't know your background with the parents in question, but it seems a bit harsh to me even if it may be true. There's a multitude of better ways to convey that message, but in the end, they asked the question and got a response that was honest. How they reacted to that message is ultimately on them.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Certainly after months of working with the team the parents have the opportunity to observe my personality. In that they felt enough to approach me to ask about their individual daughter. Which I think is good.
While some people may think it's harsh to point out there are other things people can do I simply used knitting as a fun alternative.
Didn't have to add that to the story but since it was part of the story it's also a reflection of how parents can receive feedback so I left it in the story.

I edited the title/post to reflect

Really the conversation is
... is softball for everybody?

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
When I was reading your post, I thought to myself, she didn't really say knitting??? Everything else in conversation was spot on. Maybe you could have said "otherwise maybe she might want to consider finding different activity/ recreation. Perhaps volleyball or cross country might be her thing. Knitting was a little over the top. Bowling or surfing would have a better choice of words.
To get over fear, I use a tennis racquet and blast one hop tennis ball (mask on and maybe a sweatshirt). It might sting a little but won't do any permanent damage

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD's best friend at the time talked her into playing SB. Friend quit before 1st game, SB was not for her. She played tennis instead.

Kinnting comment would not go well with me either.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Whoever said honesty is always the best policy wasn't being honest.

Don't know your background with the parents in question, but it seems a bit harsh to me even if it may be true. There's a multitude of better ways to convey that message, but in the end, they asked the question and got a response that was honest. How they reacted to that message is ultimately on them.
The message was delivered with a lot of good feedback and suggestions and a funny punchline at the end. do agree about sometimes honesty doesn't always bring the best results.

Just like sharing that little anecdote to the story...
had to make sure to clarified what the topic is really about (not about one comment) in a bigger conversation but it does reflect on how people receive feedback...

Last edited:
May 20, 2015
yes, it is, to a certain extent and level

anyone can play rec.....there's so many travel ball teams these days, there seems to be an org for everyone, at least through 14u

can everyone play varsity? PGF level travel? college? no......

May 20, 2015
i will add that the notion of "if you don't play travel, don't bother" or "you play to earn a scholarship" and lots of other similar BS that seems to pervade youth sport these days is exactly the problem with youth sports

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13