Is softball for every person?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
As I say to people who say they don’t like baseball “it’s a thinking man’s game, it’s not for everyone”. No I wouldn’t say that to a parent. But no softball isn’t for everyone. Neither is volleyball, basketball, hockey, soccer,… knitting.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
...Some parents and children can't deal with public failure.
I can remember playing youth baseball, 3rd base in tight games, hoping the ball wouldn't be hit to me for fear of screwing up. It wasn't easy, but I did teach myself to overcome the fear by playing out in my mind what I would do if the ball were hit to me. Eventually I was talking myself into wanting the ball in those situations. I was still scared, but I overwhelmed the feelings by thinking "Gimmee the ball! Gimmee the ball!" over and over in my head.

Since then I've had plenty of other public failures to realize life goes on anyway.🤷‍♂️

May 17, 2012
Softball has a team, but the game is more of a solo sport, like golf and track.

I still get strange looks when I say softball is essentially an individual sport. Once you realize this as a coach you realize how little impact you have on the outcome of any game.

I find it interesting the coaches that aren't self aware.

Oct 14, 2019
Every sport is a collection of individual efforts. Some efforts may be more noticeable than others, e.g., offensive lineman blocking versus quarterback throwing. However, there is no more pressure on a softball player batting than a basketball player shooting free throws, a football player kicking a field goal or a soccer player taking a penalty kick. That’s why Belichick famously tells his individual players to “Do Your Job.”. If all the individuals do their job, the team will benefit.

The catcher throwing down to 2nd relies on 2B and SS. The SS fielding a grounder relies on 1B to field a low throw. The OF relies on the catcher to tag a runner running home. The runner on 1st relies on the batter in a hit and run.

The way a coach affects the outcome of a game is preparing each of the players to “Do Your Job”.

Oct 4, 2018
I try to be charitable. Any parent who is working with and supporting their kid is OK in my book. I do admit to a few outbursts on dropped 3rd strikes, however.

True.

I don't see a lot of parents working with their kids. I'm making assumptions of course, but you can sense who works with their kids on off days and who doesn't.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs