Is softball for every person?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 25, 2019
@RADcatcher I laughed when I read the knitting comment. Years ago I made a similar comment to a kid that asked me for feedback when he was cut from the varsity baseball team for the 3rd year in a row. I felt like the kid was beating his head against a brick wall with baseball at the highly competitive level and would be happier if he found something he could be successful at. I said something along the lines of “maybe baseball isn’t your thing, maybe you would be a good accountant”.

I’m not even sure why accounting was the first thing that came into my head. As a math guy myself I certainly don’t have anything against accounting. This was probably about 15 years ago and now every time I see a player who is not very good I jokingly think “probably a good accountant“
LOL, DD will finish up her softball career this HS senior season, not playing in college......Although she is going to study accounting.

Sep 19, 2018
is softball for all people / players?

Does the sport present some obstacles that are too great for some people to get over,
like fear of failure, embarrassment
or fear of getting injured?
Obviously, there is no activity that works for everyone. Heck, sports in general are not for everyone.
Fear of Failure and or Embarrassment are similar but not necessarily the same. Two sides of the same coin perhaps? But those fears will likely ....stifle (is there a better word?) a person in just about everything they do in life.

However, I do believe that those fears are magnified in softball compared to other sports. No one else is with you in the batters box. All eyes are on YOU! Same thing when a ground ball is hit to you.

It is different in Soccer or Basketball, particularly, at young ages. A child can participate, run around and feel like they are part of a team while someone else controls the ball. Everyone is not watching them. Being aggressive is often enough be good (at least in there own mind or the minds of their peers) and succeed. Skill is not.... as important, right at the start.

There is a lot to unpack in this topic.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
@RADcatcher I laughed when I read the knitting comment. Years ago I made a similar comment to a kid that asked me for feedback when he was cut from the varsity baseball team for the 3rd year in a row. I felt like the kid was beating his head against a brick wall with baseball at the highly competitive level and would be happier if he found something he could be successful at. I said something along the lines of “maybe baseball isn’t your thing, maybe you would be a good accountant”.

I’m not even sure why accounting was the first thing that came into my head. As a math guy myself I certainly don’t have anything against accounting. This was probably about 15 years ago and now every time I see a player who is not very good I jokingly think “probably a good accountant“
Appreciate someone could see the humor in the comment. Yep the brain came up with an alternative suggestion and it happened to have been knitting. Accountant would have laughed at that as well!

... absolutely could insult somebody if I had said maybe you should take up soccer oh wait that might offend the soccer people?
🙈🙉🙊

Then again possibly any suggestion that wasn't 'your daughter is fabulous' may have not been received well.
Sometimes people just want to hear what they want to hear.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
This topic reminds me of several parenting moments/mistakes/faux pas that I have made with my own daughters, a couple of which we are now able to look back on and laugh about. I'm pretty sure I couldn't explain the scenarios well enough on here to capture the moment or the spirit of what was said or done without offending more than a few folks on here. Suffice it to say that "knitting" would probably have been nicer. BTW, attempts at motivation with my kids were not restricted to athletics. Academics, chores and other aspects of life sometimes lit the same fire.

Back to the original topic, softball is NOT for everyone nor should it be. Everyone should get the chance to try different stuff but (aging myself here) "What Color Is Your Parachute?" How boring would life be if we all liked the same things? Different strokes for different folks.

Oct 26, 2019
LOL, DD will finish up her softball career this HS senior season, not playing in college......Although she is going to study accounting.
I have a masters in math and thought about going into accounting myself. Instead I ended up teaching so go figure.

May 20, 2015
At my DD's HS, every senior is on the varsity team, regardless of their abilities. Playing time, however, is definitely affected by their abilities.

yeah, i guess it's how you define "play" - seniors cannot play JV (although in some circumstances, coaches will talk and it happens), and we tend not to make 'cuts' - but play time is not guaranteed -

Aug 12, 2014
There isn't any sport or activity that is for everyone. My daughter tried a bunch of different sports until she found softball was the one for her.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
is softball for all people / players?

Does the sport present some obstacles that are too great for some people to get over,
like fear of failure, embarrassment
or fear of getting injured?
There is no *hiding* in softball--and that drives some parents insane. Softball has a team, but the game is more of a solo sport, like golf and track.

A girl goes to bat every three innings or so. She is the center of attention. Everyone in the whole ball park is staring at the batter. She either hits the ball or she doesn't. Kid goes and plays second base, and someone hits a ball to her. She either catches it or she doesn't. It is painfully obvious if the kid is "good" or not.

Some parents and children can't deal with public failure.

Compare that with soccer/basketball....I've seen many, many kids who "hide" during the game, and then the parent say, "Oh, you were great--you just didn't get a chance."

Is softball for everyone? No. Should every kid play softball, even if it is only rec? ABSOLUTELY.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand