Is it cheating, or not ? What do you think ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 9, 2013
Hello everyone,

I have a little moral dilemma, need your help. I'm an assistant coach on my daughters 10u softball team. I generally can figure out opposing coaches pitch signs (besides the obvious 1 for fastball 2 for changeup), steal signs, etc. Do you consider it cheating if I give a code to my girls If I know what pitch is coming ? I'm back and forth with this issue. Is it just strategy ? I'd love your opinion thanks !

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I don't consider it cheating, but I wouldn't do it. ...

It's 10U. I'd rather my players learn how to hit when they don't know what's coming. I wouldn't want to win a 10U game because an adult stole signs.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
If you guys are good enough for signals and the pitchers can throw that pitch, - and then, your batters can hit that pitch - OK. I think you are playing at a different level than some of us see. Are you getting ready for nationals? Because, I certainly would, then.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Cheating? Of course not. It can't be cheating because the 10U pitchers don't know how to throw a breaking pitch. So, you are doing more harm to your own batters.

*BUT*: I will pay good money for a video of this.

There would be some coach furiously giving signs to the catcher, the catcher relays the signs to the pitcher, and then you are presumably furiously figuring out the next pitch, then urgently relaying that info to the batter, who know doubt gets confused and need you to explain it to her, and then...the pitch is just another fastball.

Other thoughts:

(1) It is called 10U softball because it should be played by 10YOA girls, not by adults.
(2) Figuring out what a 10YOA girl is going to throw is something less than rocket science. All you have to do is look at her grip before she pitches. It is about as easy as it gets.
(3) Assuming that the kids are in fact throwing breaking pitches (which is doubtful), are you planning on dedicating practice time to teach them how to hit a rise, drop, curve or screw?

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2011
I think any information that the coaching staff gives their players good information. I do agree with Sluggers in the fact that at 10u they aren't throwing any breaking pitches, just fastballs and non-fastballs (sorta change-ups). I draw the line when a parent in the stands are yelling out pitch calls/locations.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
(3) Assuming that the kids are in fact throwing breaking pitches (which is doubtful), are you planning on dedicating practice time to teach them how to hit a rise, drop, curve or screw?

Wow - so you weren't at the 10UA State Tournament today in Florida.

Of course most of these girls are at the end of 10U and are going to 12U in August, but they were certainly some excellent breaking balls being thrown.

That said, even though I know the signs of most of the teams here, we are not relaying what is coming to the batters and I haven't seen any of the other coaches doing it either.

Jun 29, 2013
No, not cheating too me. But I'm reminded of my high school coach telling me (when I could see the signs while coaching first) not to say anything because he didn't want to risk telling a hitter the wrong information in case they changed the signs or were more crafty than we thought.

Feb 7, 2013
I have seen it at this age to let the batter know where the catcher sets up early (inside or outside) and if its a change up coming. But I agree, let the batter figure it out at this age and don't confuse them with too much information right before the pitch.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krugersoftball