International Tie-breaker; how do you coach it?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2016
Wow Kathy Arendsen was quite the player!

Upon her retirement in 1992, Arendsen finished her career with a 338–26 record which included 79 no-hitters, 42 perfect games, 265 shutouts and a 0.15 ERA.[19] She was later ranked by Sports Illustrated as one of the 50 greatest sports figures from Michigan.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
I THINK THIS IS A TOUGH ONE IF WE BECOME FOCUSED ON BASEBALL, IT MEANS THERE MAY BE A LACK OF FIRST-HAND EXPERIENCE. So here are some thoughts to ponder:

If the HOME TEAM walks the first batter in the top of the inning, they are in fact putting a second potential run on base! That runner could be bunted, or hit into scoring position not to mention a passed ball, error, etc. The VISITING TEAM is not constrained by any run limit. The HOME TEAM is constrained to how many runs it needs to score, where as the VISITING TEAM could bat around twice.

If the VISTING TEAM does not score, In contrast, are only defensing one run. The runner on 2B represents the winning run, and no other runners matter. They can walk the first batter and defense against that one run. If they walk the bases loaded, still, only that lead-runner only matters and can score to end the game. The VISITOR’S defensive strategies are narrowly defined and should lead to fewer coaching decisions and mistakes. They are simply to prevent the winning run from scoring. The HOME TEAM has to worry about the runner on 2B, plus any other runners which reach base.

ADVANTAGE: Visiting team

Also, even if the VISITORS only score 1 run, they have the psychological edge with the lead which puts pressure as a result on the Home Team. What if the VISITING TEAM scores 8 runs? Even 2 runs creates tremendous pressure, and the HOME TEAM that is behind 2 runs will not likely be able to bunt and give up an out. The runner at 2nd base is meaningless unless the HOME TEAM can get a second runner on base. That one run means nothing to the final score, and that runner will in fact be advancing cautiously, not taking any chances at 3rd base or at home plate. This also puts constraints on base-running options for the HOME TEAM.

ADVANTAGE: Visiting team

WHAT IF, the VISITING TEAM scores a run or runs, the strategy changes. How?

If you are up 1 run, are you going to intentionally walk the winning run?
If you are up 2 runs are you going to walk the typing run?
If you are up 3 runs or more, doesn’t your strategy become a little more flexible?
Remember that runner on 2B will do nothing to determine the winner, in and of, by itself.

This is all about odds, not written in stone. I estimate is that 40-45% of the time, the Home Team wins the International Tie-Breaker, and 55-60% of the time, the Visiting Team wins. But on occasion, luck and skill are out-foxed by bad coaching!

Now I am curious if anyone can guess what the Australian coach and the Russian coach did that blew their games in the semis? Both were the VISITING TEAMS in their games, now on Defense, and did not score in the top of the inning with the scores 2-2 and 1-1. And specifically, both VISITING TEAMS did walk the first batter to create the force-out at 3rd base!

Let's add a runners on 2nd & 3rd, bottom of the 8th for Japan vs. Team USA. One out after sac by Japan. What does Erickson do, what does Japan do?

VISITORS:
  • Visiting teams and coaches have the edge, the strategic advantage! You should always create force situations on the winning run unless your pitcher can not throw strikes! The only other exception, and that would be rare, is who is coming up to bat next.
  • If you score 2 or more runs in your half inning, then the tie-breaker runner on 2B becomes less relevant, and 3 runs or more lead, play only for the “outs”.
  • Take advantage of the "givens", both “free” outs and situations that appear! Every base-runner situation has already determined what you do on DEFENSE.
  • When the bases are loaded and there are less than 2 outs, you have to pull in the infield and outfield. You don't have to make a choice like the HOME team coach does.
  • What I advise my girls to do in this situation is not to try to do too much! I think it was pressure in those games that determined the outcome, and all nine girls are not going to be on the same strategic page if the coaches do not take charge of the situation.
  • Secondly, I would emphasize that putting the ball in play solidly is more important than the big hit! Too often they try to hit the pitch in a certain way, such as over the outfield's head. How do you hit a low-outside pitch over the left fielder's head? So mentally I would teach them to drive the ball but not to have any "visions" interfere with their mission in the batter’s box.
  • I also prepare them mentally for this and similar situations so they have confidence and understanding of the nuances of these situations. I do it in rainy day chalk board talks, and go over these scenarios in practice. With a runner on 3rd base, perhaps a tying or winning run, and a ground ball to your 1st baseman, how will she know what to do? Will she turn her back and run to 1st base to get the out, or freeze the runner by running toward home plate to tag the runner. If she hasn’t done it in practice several times, it is a pretty good bet that run is going to at least try to score.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
Back Pick 👍:)

The way I coach the back pick is just as executed, but the significance my be over-looked. If the catcher stays down and utilizes a throw from the knees, it alerts the base-runner less to the play than standing up.
A runner at 3B requires some practice without standing up, as the catcher must step toward the 1B and then drive off that leg toward 3rd. The "foot-work" or knee work is the same but in a very different direction. The same is true of throws to 1B.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
The way I coach the back pick is just as executed, but the significance my be over-looked. If the catcher stays down and utilizes a throw from the knees, it alerts the base-runner less to the play than standing up.
A runner at 3B requires some practice without standing up, as the catcher must step toward the 1B and then drive off that leg toward 3rd. The "foot-work" or knee work is the same but in a very different direction. The same is true of throws to 1B.
Teach catchers from knees pivot behind right handed batter.
( yes may have to move slightly left to clear batter, same mechanic as dirt pitch to the side into throw)

Fastest easiest throw for right handed catcher is to 3rd.
Record pop times of 1.3 to 3rd

Going to first has more pivot to get angle on throw. Pop times 1.4 - 1.5

With a runner on first and left handed batter. Again pivot behind batter from knees.
Whats nice of lefty run/slappers is they move out of our way up in the box clears a throwing lane for the ZAP 👍

*can throw moving in front,
not always an option pending batter/pitch location.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
Teach catchers from knees pivot behind right handed batter.
( yes may have to move slightly left to clear batter, same mechanic as dirt pitch to the side into throw)

Fastest easiest throw for right handed catcher is to 3rd.
Record pop times of 1.3 to 3rd

Going to first has more pivot to get angle on throw. Pop times 1.4 - 1.5

With a runner on first and left handed batter. Again pivot behind batter from knees.
Whats nice of lefty run/slappers is they move out of our way up in the box clears a throwing lane for the ZAP 👍

*can throw moving in front,
not always an option pending batter/pitch location.

Oooh, I like that slapper perspective!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad