IR question,...pretty please? :-)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I found this one...

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XGqGgL7dYLs?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XGqGgL7dYLs?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Jan 27, 2010
EXACTLY!.........And I've already asked you to show us an example of a pitcher EXTERNALLY ROTATING the arm during release........Ain't happening........Any more then Supination happens while releasing the ball..........Which it also DOES NOT DO........

Supination may REMAIN more constant which I eluded to in my I/R thred.........But that is a POSITION ALREADY ACHIEVED behind the body.........The arm is NOT SUPINATING OR EXTERNALLY ROTATING during the release..........

Pitchers DO NOT Externally Rotate Or Supinate during the release phase. Why don't you get that?

Lets move on OK........You obviously don't get it..........No big deal.........

BM, I am ready to move on but you keep saying things that I said in my post that are not my words. I made a simple statement that ER and supination is used when throwing the screwball when someone asked about the SB. You said that you didn't have time to view the video "Stacey Nelson Pitching"on youtube even though I provided the exact time in the video down to the minutes and seconds that she is shown throwing the SB. How covenient. The photo in the video at the 3:04 shows the release phase of the pitch. At 2:06 of the video shows the position of the forearm and wrist after release. Members of DFP can choose to believe your words or can go to youtube video mentioned and trust their eyes of what they see. Why don't you get it that your way is not the only way to throw a SB effectively?

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2008
I made a simple statement that ER and supination is used when throwing the screwball when someone asked about the SB.

Exactly...........And you're dead wrong...........At NO TIME in the delivery phase of the pitch does any part of the arm perform an EXTERNAL rotation move EXCEPT to re-position itself AFTER the ball is LONG GONE and THROWN with I/R.........That's the part you don't seem to get..........

The problem is TJ..........You're "advise" on "how" a screwball is thrown in INCORRECT.........It's bad information........And is no different then telling people that pitching should be a "bowling move".......

You said that you didn't have time to view the video "Stacey Nelson Pitching" on youtube even though I provided the exact time in the video down to the minutes and seconds that she is shown throwing the SB. How covenient.

What I said is I don't have time to search for a Stacy Nelson pitching video on youtube that you were speaking about, and asked you to post the link that shows Nelson Externally Rotating her arm during the delivery and release phase..........Now I see you put in quotation mark the words "Stacy Nelson Pitching"........Indicating that this is actually the name of the video.........

So now I've seen the clip with the STILL PHOTOS that you are using as proof that she is EXTERNALLY ROTATING her arm to deliver a screwball..............REALLY??? STILL PHOTOS are your proof that she is using E/R to throw her screwball???

The photo in the video at the 3:04 shows the release phase of the pitch. At 2:06 of the video shows the position of the forearm and wrist after release.

You can't use STILL PHOTOS to determine the mechanics used in screwball TJ...........

Members of DFP can choose to believe your words or can go to youtube video mentioned and trust their eyes of what they see.

My words?........How about an actual clip of her screwball IN MOTION........You know, the one you claim is thrown with EXTERNAL ROTATION by looking at still photos.......

vxdhl2.gif

I want you to watch WHERE/WHEN her "External Rotation and Supination" occurs TJ........And where the ball is when it happens.........And tell me again that she's THROWING the ball using E/R and Supination as you claim...........

34i1sn6.gif

EXTERNAL ROTATION DELIVERY??.........Not a chance TJ..........Not a chance...........

Why don't you get it that your way is not the only way to throw a SB effectively?

Wow........It isn't MY way........It's the right way...........The problem is......You don't know what your talking about........Proven by the fact that you don't even know what your looking at.........

Now are you ready to move on???

Last edited:
May 4, 2009
Baltimore
She's on the last page (as of today) of the Model Pitchers thread thanks to FFS..........

Paige Arnold from Coppin State Unversity in Baltimore. 2012 and 2010 Pitcher of the Year in the MEAC conference. Paige had one of the best rise balls around. There are a couple of clips of her on Youtube.

Jan 27, 2010
Exactly...........And you're dead wrong...........At NO TIME in the delivery phase of the pitch does any part of the arm perform an EXTERNAL rotation move EXCEPT to re-position itself AFTER the ball is LONG GONE and THROWN with I/R.........That's the part you don't seem to get..........

The problem is TJ..........You're "advise" on "how" a screwball is thrown in INCORRECT.........It's bad information........And is no different then telling people that pitching should be a "bowling move".......

What I said is I don't have time to search for a Stacy Nelson pitching video on youtube that you were speaking about, and asked you to post the link that shows Nelson Externally Rotating her arm during the delivery and release phase..........Now I see you put in quotation mark the words "Stacy Nelson Pitching"........Indicating that this is actually the name of the video.........

So now I've seen the clip with the STILL PHOTOS that you are using as proof that she is EXTERNALLY ROTATING her arm to deliver a screwball..............REALLY??? STILL PHOTOS are your proof that she is using E/R to throw her screwball???

You can't use STILL PHOTOS to determine the mechanics used in screwball TJ...........

My words?........How about an actual clip of her screwball IN MOTION........You know, the one you claim is thrown with EXTERNAL ROTATION by looking at still photos.......

vxdhl2.gif

I want you to watch WHERE/WHEN her "External Rotation and Supination" occurs TJ........And where the ball is when it happens.........And tell me again that she's THROWING the ball using E/R and Supination as you claim...........

34i1sn6.gif

EXTERNAL ROTATION DELIVERY??.........Not a chance TJ..........Not a chance...........

Wow........It isn't MY way........It's the right way...........The problem is......You don't know what your talking about........Proven by the fact that you don't even know what your looking at.........

Now are you ready to move on???

No, I see the arm coming into the release the angle of her stride and then away from the center of the body. At what point does the IR happen you mention occur? The forearm and hand would have to rotate to the center of the body for IR or is the definition or IR and pronation wrong. The follow through by her shoulder does have her arm coming across her body but the ball was released at her right thigh with the forearm and palm facing out.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
The only thing I see that I like in the above pitcher is she finishes with glove up. Similar to J. Taylor

<!-- copy and paste. Modify height and width if desired. -->
<object id="scPlayer" width="720" height="594" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://content.screencast.com/users/fastpitcher/folders/Discuss/media/cadc1f1b-f331-4c01-8b4f-68ff2c9fb7f7/flvplayer.swf" >
<param name="movie" value="http://content.screencast.com/users/fastpitcher/folders/Discuss/media/cadc1f1b-f331-4c01-8b4f-68ff2c9fb7f7/flvplayer.swf" />
<param name="quality" value="high" />
<param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" />
<param name="flashVars" value="thumb=http://content.screencast.com/users/fastpitcher/folders/Discuss/media/cadc1f1b-f331-4c01-8b4f-68ff2c9fb7f7/FirstFrame.jpg&containerwidth=720&containerheight=594&content=http://content.screencast.com/users/fastpitcher/folders/Discuss/media/cadc1f1b-f331-4c01-8b4f-68ff2c9fb7f7/jt.flv&blurover=false" />
<param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" />
<param name="scale" value="showall" />
<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" />
<param name="base" value="http://content.screencast.com/users/fastpitcher/folders/Discuss/media/cadc1f1b-f331-4c01-8b4f-68ff2c9fb7f7/" />
Unable to display content. Adobe Flash is required.
</object>

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Aren't here two styles of SB (and rise) release taught? Don't some teach a "turn-the-doorknob clockwise" style where the palm faces down at 9 o'clock and the hand twists clockwise to palm up during the follow through. I think this is the style here: EASTON SOFTBALL: PITCHING TIPS - GRIPS - YouTube or
Advanced Softball Pitching : Softball Pitching: Screwball Grip - YouTube
(I would love to see some HD slomo of this style to see if what is being taught is actually happening.)

Isn't the other is a IR style where the the fingers try to peel around the inside of the ball?
Here's slo mo examples of the IR style: screw ball (slow2).MOV - YouTube or
Fastpitch - Screw Ball Basic Review of Grip & Mechanics - YouTube

Jul 14, 2008
No, I see the arm coming into the release the angle of her stride and then away from the center of the body.

Ok I understand what you are seeing now and how you're misinterpreting what you see.......You see her arm moving more from behind her hip toward the inside corner at the last moment before release to direct the pitch inside........So you think the direction of her arm circle dictates she must be externally rotates her upper arm, forearm and wrist.........FYI, the two are not related......IE arm circle direction and I/R..........You can have an arm circle that moves across the body with I/R........Or runs straight down the power line with I/R........Or toward the inside corner with I/R......

Nelson's severe lean toward the right helps direct her circle toward the inside corner at release........But she THROWS with I/R.......NOT E/R..........

At what point does the IR happen you mention occur? The forearm and hand would have to rotate to the center of the body for IR or is the definition or IR and pronation wrong.

Huh???.........Internal Rotation involves rotating from facing backward OR outward to forward and/or inward........OR even just from forward TO INWARD.......IT's ALL I/R.........And AGAIN........As I said in my first posts on I/R.........Pronation can be more or less depending on style and pitch selection/mechanics........But it's NEVER E/R in good pitching mechanics........

This my friend, is PURELY AND SIMPLY INTERNAL ROTATION with an arm circle directed toward the inside corner.........

2a4wghc.gif

The follow through by her shoulder does have her arm coming across her body but the ball was released at her right thigh with the forearm and palm facing out.

Her forearm and palm simply "facing out" does NOT make it E/R.........The MOVEMENT of what her forearm and palm DOES through release dictates the mechanics.....IE OUTWARD TO INWARD...........I don't know why your SO LOST about this subject.......

I've done my best to help you understand arm circle direction as it relates to I/R.........I can't help you any further on this subject.........You can only see what you want to see...........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LINBAN01