Invitational Tournament Protocol

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 30, 2013
DD is playing 10U TB for the first time this fall. I am still trying to get used to watching from the sidelines rather than coaching. We had a tournament this past weekend and in game 1 faced a team of highly skilled giants. Everyone was asking the same question as we were getting pummeled. Are these girls really 10 years old? Apparently, no. When seeding for day 2 was posted on Saturday night, that team was no longer present. I asked our coaches about it the next day and was told that they were an 11U team. Not really sure if they were asked to leave, or if their coach took the high road and pulled out. Regardless, the tournament rules clearly state the age requirements but do not make it clear what happens if you violate that rule.

What is the protocol? I would think that the games they played should be considered forfeits and the opposing teams should be awarded a 7-0 victory. What actually happened is that the games counted and teams were seeded accordingly. First tie-breaker was runs against.

May 23, 2012
Eastlake, OH
A forfeit would typically be a 0-7 loss. I don't know the implications for championship play for the team in question if there is any at all. If this were a non sanctioned type event and the team in question was 10U eligible until January 1st, I don't know if that would typically negate the results of the official games.

Jun 24, 2013
There is no good solution to your Issue, some Team(s) are going to be upset no matter how they tried to unwind it. They probably did what they thought was best for all the Teams.

I am not sure there is a protocol

A couple years ago another Team brought in a “ringer” to our year end tournament, once they were caught they tried to unwind it the best they could. Again everyone wasn’t happy but they did what they thought was best for all the Teams.

Jul 30, 2013
I imagine that there are very few tournaments where everyone is happy. Our team didn't earn a higher seed, but didn't really deserve the beat-down either.

Feb 3, 2011
It's not a big deal. Teams occasionally leave mid-tourney for any number of reasons - travel time concerns, coaches' relatives getting married, impending bad weather, final exams, HC ticked off at the umpiring, etc - but that's no cause at all for undoing the Saturday results. In order to win a normal tourney, you have to win all the games on Sunday, regardless of who is where (or not) in the brackets.

Based on your story, there was no rule violation. Technically speaking, 11u teams are still eligible to play 10u tournaments until the end of the calendar year. I personally don't see the value and in fact would consider it generally detrimental to player development, but I'm talking about the higher level players. The average 11u player isn't likely to be a dominant force in a 10u event. IMO, highly skilled 11u's should not be playing 10u tourneys in the fall.

Did they move up to 12u for Sunday play? Or did they leave altogether? How did your team fare yesterday?

Jul 30, 2013
I agree that it is no big deal and that you have to win on Sunday regardless of who you play. However, their rules clearly state that "age eligibility will be 2014 age requirements." Seems like a rule violation to me.

For the record, we lost a 2 run lead in the last inning of game 1 on Sunday. Not trying to make a case that we deserved a trophy. :)

Jun 11, 2013
I think they should have thrown games out. Not sure it's fair to other teams to give you a 7-0 forfeit. In reality accept what the did and move on. You will find yourself on the good and bad side of seeding as you continue to play. Unless it knocked you from a gold bracket to a silver I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
They may have truly been qualified for your 10U tourney. Last year our 02 10U team outsized many of the 03 teams substantially. I notice it even more this year at 12U, only we're on the other end of that stick.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd