interference or obstruction?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Runners on first and second. Batted ball is hit directly to the short stop, who is standing a few steps behind the baseline. SS promptly charges the ball and is fielding the ball basically right in the base line and is steamrolled by the advancing runner.... what's the call?

Dec 2, 2012
Interference. The short stop is entitled to field the ball.

Section: 7.J Interferes
THE RUNNER IS OUT.
When a runner interferes:
1. With a fielder attempting to field a batted fair ball or a foul fly ball, or
2. With a fielder attempting to throw the ball, or
3. With a thrown ball.
EFFECT: If this interference, in the umpire’s judgment is an attempt to prevent a double play and occurs before the runner is put out, the immediate trailing runner shall also be called out.
4. Intentionally with any defensive player having the opportunity to make an out with the deflected batted ball.
EFFECT: The ball is dead and the Runner is Out. All other runners must return to the last base touched at the time of the interference.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2011
Sterling IL
Runners on first and second. Batted ball is hit directly to the short stop, who is standing a few steps behind the baseline. SS promptly charges the ball and is fielding the ball basically right in the base line and is steamrolled by the advancing runner.... what's the call?

Easy.... Interference, dead ball runner out, and batter goes to first base. If the steamrolling is done with what looks like intent to harm an ejection is possible.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
The runner tried to knock my ss down... and inadvertently injured herself in the process. As she lays on the ground wallering around in pain, the blue called time to allow other team to check on her, and ignores the fact that my third baseman had secured the ball and is holding her glove on her as shes way off the bag, she OK now, wiping away tears. She is awarded the base and I am warned to not have my ss in the base path because "that area is designated for the runners" this is my youngest dd's rec team (10u)... I come unglued and proceed to let the blue know what I think of his call. He insists he's right and that I'm on thin ice and I'm about to be ejected. This was the same team that beat us in our first game of the season, where 5 of the players on this rec team have matching helmets and bat bags for their travel ball team. And as they beat up on first year rec kids they jump around like they've just won the world series... thats a major pet peeve of mine!

Crazy Softball Guy

Casual Observer
May 31, 2013
The runner tried to knock my ss down... and inadvertently injured herself in the process. As she lays on the ground wallering around in pain, the blue called time to allow other team to check on her, and ignores the fact that my third baseman had secured the ball and is holding her glove on her as shes way off the bag, she OK now, wiping away tears. She is awarded the base and I am warned to not have my ss in the base path because "that area is designated for the runners" this is my youngest dd's rec team (10u)... I come unglued and proceed to let the blue know what I think of his call. He insists he's right and that I'm on thin ice and I'm about to be ejected. This was the same team that beat us in our first game of the season, where 5 of the players on this rec team have matching helmets and bat bags for their travel ball team. And as they beat up on first year rec kids they jump around like they've just won the world series... thats a major pet peeve of mine!

Unfortunately many times rec ball umpires don't always know the rules (this isn't to say that there aren't any not-as-well-educated-on-the-rules umpires in TB either). However, you would think the interference/obstruction rules would be something they would know. You could always address it with a board member of the rec league and hope that this umpire learns something from this.

I would be a little irked watching a bunch of TB girls beating up on first year rec players too. If anything, I'd be concerned about how these girls are being coached. Could it be that they're a bad TB team and need to feel good about themselves by tearing it up in rec? Use this other team's players as an example of poor sportsmanship, teach your girls the right way to play the game, and you'll be ok.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I believe all the rules (no matter whether ASA, Little League, NSA, etc) clearly state that one time it is acceptable for a runner to go outside of the basepath is to avoid a fielder playing a batted ball.
they also state that it is always the runners obligation to avoid collision.

After a play where a ball got by the SS, she turned to chase it and then there was a collision, the umpire told me that any time he sees a collision on a base path anywhere near a batted ball he calls the runner out because he doesn't know if that fielder would've made the play or not.

Last edited:

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I believe all the rules (no matter whether ASA, Little League, NSA, etc) clearly state that one time it is acceptable for a runner to go outside of the basepath is to avoid a fielder playing a batted ball.
they also state that it is always the runners obligation to avoid collision.

After a play where a ball got by the SS, she turned to chase it and then there was a collision, the umpire told me that any time he sees a collision on a base path anywhere near a batted ball he calls the runner out because he doesn't know if that fielder would've made the play or not.

Not a very smart answer because that would make it protestable since the condition of INT is that the umpire must judge the fielder must have a play on the ball. Making that judgment is why the umpire gets the big bucks.

In your scenario, it sounds like the runner did what was permissible, proceed behind the fielder to avoid INT and the fielder missed the ball ran into the runner. Unless the runner's actions were intentional, I don't see an act of INT on behalf of the runner UNLESS the ball was right there, not heading away from the fielder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mizenikki1