interesting conversation with a couple of pitchers' dads

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I talked to a couple of the dads on DDs team during a friendly yesterday and found out that neither of them really have investigated much about pitching, nor have learned much about the motion. They are really involved softball dads and practice a lot with their daughters. I hear them giving their daughters pitching advice when warming them up, their DDs are great little players and they are good guys, but It was interesting to see how my obsession stacks up against the average 10U TB pitcher's dad. From what I can tell I am a way overboard with the analysis and the average 10U travel ball dad is nowhere near my level of craziness. In describing the motion we are striving for, I mentioned Yukiko Ueno and I think they thought I was ordering sushi. So the question is- for those dads of younger daughters, are we in a bubble on this board? in your day to day softball lives are there people on your teams that you can talk about some of this stuff with or are we just some crazily obsessed offshoot of the sport?

yea, i'm stupid crazy too. Why I need a pocket radar, a glove radar, an astroturf pitches mound inside my house, complet with net on other end of room (flanked by variuos holes in the wall from errant pitches) is way too much for a 10dd who may never even play in high school.

I think i have read EVERY thread on this site multiple times(except hal's, i skip those) just to see if i missed something the first time around.

"We" (lol, really just her) practice 5-6 days a week. I think she may forget how to pitch if "we" miss 2 consecutive days.

So, yea I may be that crazy pitchers daddy.

But- thats what it takes at 10U, or at least that what the voices in my head keep telling me.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
yea, i'm stupid crazy too. Why I need a pocket radar, a glove radar, an astroturf pitches mound inside my house, complet with net on other end of room (flanked by variuos holes in the wall from errant pitches) is way too much for a 10dd who may never even play in high school.

I think i have read EVERY thread on this site multiple times(except hal's, i skip those) just to see if i missed something the first time around.

"We" (lol, really just her) practice 5-6 days a week. I think she may forget how to pitch if "we" miss 2 consecutive days.

So, yea I may be that crazy pitchers daddy.

But- thats what it takes at 10U, or at least that what the voices in my head keep telling me.

softballs- do you find that you are the only one who is like this or do you find that other dads/moms on the team are this obsessed with it? When I talked to these guys I was hoping to be able to break down our daughter's motion and commiserate about how hard it is to teach proper posture at finish etc. but I found I had to hold my tongue for fear of coming off like some sort of know it all. I had to throttle back the terminology so we were on the same conversational plane. once again , not a knock on them, just concerned I am taking it too far. Maybe it's that the team is pretty low level and just above rec all stars, dunno, just trying to see if other dads have had the same experience.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
How do my shoes feel? You probably thought you would help the other DD's and dads with your new found knowledge? I thought the same with hitting and pitching. The other dads laugh at me. Point fingers and say I'm crazy. What no hello elbow, K position at finish. Oh my... What no squish the bug, spin baby spin. What do you know? I spend alot of time talking to myself and sitting alone. I don't mind as long as my DD hits the crap out of the ball. They ask what is DD doing I try to explain their eyes glaze over. Back to right field all by my lonesome. At least I have DFP where you guys get me. Sound about right JJ?

Aug 2, 2008
I was helping out with the highschoolers in the cage the other night and was talking with another dad who has been around baseball and softball 3 times as long as me. His daughter is turning into a freak hitter, we were discussing another kids swing and he says she needs to start turning on the balls of both feet as she swings???:confused:

I have learned to keep my mouth shut and just pitch bp.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
RDBASS-

Pretty much...my DD throws a good 5 mph faster but her motion looks so lazy compared to these other kids. It really mystified them. I told them that she could get another 3-5 if she would bend her elbow during her motion and that all of her power comes from her long limbs and the fact that she has a good brush interference....then I lost them.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2011
Great thread. I totally get you. My experience is very similar.

I've learned so much from this site that I'm now looked at like a leper. I even was removed from a rec. squad for trying to change the pitchers from HE to IR. I was told I was wrong, ok? So I umpired full-time and took their money, lol. This year however I was asked by a another team in the same rec. league if I would help out with their pitchers, sure. What I find HE but they are listening and willing to work IR, yah me. The dads are saying that's not what the other PC taught. Well that's what they're doing now and I tried explaining why, glass eyes.

Oh this is funny. One dad is gung ho, he came to me and wants to know how he can make his modified pitches move. I'm having fun now.

I owe all this to the great PC's here. Especially Boardmember for his great articles. Thanks you guys!

Jul 26, 2010
I can say that there is no direct correlation to a kids success at softball and the obsessive-compulsive disorders of their fathers. I can also tell you that the parents at the 10-12u levels are much crazier then the older girls, I guess they mellow out over time.

There is hope for you.

-W

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
I can say that there is no direct correlation to a kids success at softball and the obsessive-compulsive disorders of their fathers. I can also tell you that the parents at the 10-12u levels are much crazier then the older girls, I guess they mellow out over time.

There is hope for you.

-W

Yeah I don't think having a dad that is softball obsessed helps except for the fact that maybe we prioritize payment for things like pitching lessons or TB fees above some other discretionary spending choices. The girls are the ones who actually play the game. but I disagree with you on the notion that there is hope for me.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I am not obsessed with it and I am constantly amazed at those that are. The same thing with hitting. What the heck? Maybe to people that never played any sport softball is complicated, but it is so similar to every other sport that I can't believe people think it is complicated.

Hillhouse explains pitching rather simply. Denny Thorneburg does the same thing.

I have had a couple of dads bring their daughter to me, that thought that my lesson would be comprised of them preaching and me catching. I usually don't mind doing whatever I am getting paid for, but they would have their DD in tears. I really think that they should go play slow pitch. There is a totally different world out their for adults that want to play softball. You can play every night, if you wish. Heck, I'll even show up and tell you to line up your knocker knuckles, several times at one at bat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13