interesting conversation with a couple of pitchers' dads

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
It wasn't too unusual for a baseball player to move into our HS district because of the baseball program. They certainly weren't moving there for the education.

A man I met a couple of times, shut down his realty business and opened a strictly softball indoor center, for his young daughter. Not only did he not know anything about softball, he knew even less about running a business. He was holding camps for young girls where they spent a lot of time coloring. He had to close down after about 18 months.

Nov 18, 2013
I couldn’t agree more that young pitchers with strong parental support are far more successful. It changes though when they reach 14U and especially 16U. They still need our support, but we need to withdraw and leave it up to the coaches to continue their development. We’ve all seen the pitchers constantly looking over to the stands for Mom or Dad for approval or even worse Dad is trying to discreetly call her pitches. Don‘t be that guy!

I often turn to the phrase that “a little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing”. Websites, books, seminars, videos keep us informed and we can provide valuable insight, but girls need a good pitching coach and not just a parent. We’ve all had our teenage daughters get all excited about what such and such taught her and it was the exact same thing we’d said that went in one ear and out the other. Have you ever fought with your daughter about practicing or not throwing hard enough? For every Doug Finch, there’s a thousand parents scratching their heads wondering why their daughters gave up softball.

One of DD’s coaches often joked that her job would be so much easier if parents would stick to getting kool-aid and allow coaches to do their jobs. A little tongue in cheek perhaps, but there’s something to that.

Jul 17, 2012
I couldn’t agree more that young pitchers with strong parental support are far more successful. It changes though when they reach 14U and especially 16U. They still need our support, but we need to withdraw and leave it up to the coaches to continue their development. We’ve all seen the pitchers constantly looking over to the stands for Mom or Dad for approval or even worse Dad is trying to discreetly call her pitches. Don‘t be that guy!

I often turn to the phrase that “a little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing”. Websites, books, seminars, videos keep us informed and we can provide valuable insight, but girls need a good pitching coach and not just a parent. We’ve all had our teenage daughters get all excited about what such and such taught her and it was the exact same thing we’d said that went in one ear and out the other. Have you ever fought with your daughter about practicing or not throwing hard enough? For every Doug Finch, there’s a thousand parents scratching their heads wondering why their daughters gave up softball.

One of DD’s coaches often joked that her job would be so much easier if parents would stick to getting kool-aid and allow coaches to do their jobs. A little tongue in cheek perhaps, but there’s something to that.
Just out of curiousity...whats the course of action if the HS pitching coach gets a hold of a daddy taught pitcher, and that coach thinks HE is the way and starts messing with that daddy taught I/R pitcher?

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Roll up on him in the parking lot and confront him/her! I actually did this (minus the confrontation part) in a chance meeting one day. I introduced myself as one of his pitcher's PC and asked him about it. I asked that he consider all the work we'd done. He happened to pretty receptive. In chatting with my girl, I asked her to be respectful of her coach, smile and nod when she could, then politely ask if it would be possible to discuss any conflicting changes with me. I didn't hear anything after.

Sadly, I think team drama, boys, a driver's license and almost no off season commitment to practice ended her pitching. Great drop and was ready to take to the next level, but just didn't want it enough..

Jul 26, 2010
Just out of curiousity...whats the course of action if the HS pitching coach gets a hold of a daddy taught pitcher, and that coach thinks HE is the way and starts messing with that daddy taught I/R pitcher?

HE elbow is some weird stigma that mostly exists on this forum. It's forced follow through that happens after a pitch is done, and has nothing to do with the pitch. That is really what is being taught, and while not perfect, it really isn't " that bad ". It's the hip slamming that you need to avoid. I'll also point out that most higher level (16/18) and HS "pitching coaches" are not teaching and fixing mechanics, as a rule. They're trying to get the most out of what they have to work with. They want to make sure the pitcher is throwing the pitch they are supposed to be throwing to the spot they are supposed to be throwing it to with a measured and expected velocity as high a percentage of the time as possible.

That said, if you look at the most successful pitchers. . . and we all do, we spend countless hours analyzing their mechanics and trying to figure out the similarities between them all . . . but if you really look at them, you will see a great many inefficiencies and flaws in their mechanics. What you will also see, if you really take the time to look beyond the short clips of just their mechanics, is the attitude, commitment, and work ethic that these young ladies have. That is what it takes to be successful, not perfect mechanics. The ability to learn, adapt, and work harder then everyone else is more important then daddy or mommy understanding the medical terminology for what their daughters arm does during a pitch. That is taught far better by having a parent who has shown by example how to achieve their own dreams through that same ethic, rather then by a parent who has never accomplished this and is trying to get another chance by doing it vicariously through their children.

-W

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2013
HS pithcing coaches don't (or shouldn't) be trying to do anything major since they see girls for such a short amount of time.

I'd never heard of the I/R method until I found this sight and can't comment on it. I have seen plenty of Daddy taught pitchers and in my opinion it just doesn't work. Most girls need someone better skilled, more qualified and less emotionally atached to be their pitching coach.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2008
HE elbow is some weird stigma that mostly exists on this forum. It's forced follow through that happens after a pitch is done, and has nothing to do with the pitch. That is really what is being taught, and while not perfect, it really isn't " that bad ".

-W

Wish it were just that simple Star...........

What you are discounting with your assertion is that "Hello Elbow" is simply a "follow through" after Internal Rotation/Pronation has taken place......

And while that CAN be what happens........The "term Hello Elbow" is more likely associated with TEACHING a PUSHING MOVE vs. a PULLING MOVE WITH INternal Rotation/Pronation, that is completely void of the fundamental bio-mechanics of high level pitching/whip.........Which really is "THAT BAD"..........

Ignoring and/or Discounting the facts under the "guise" of be "too picky" or "too smart" about the correctness of what is being taught, seems to be a cop-out painted under the "guise" of "ignorance is bliss"........

I'll leave this thread with these quotes from Boardmember:

Knowledge is simply information to those not seeking it.......But Information IS Knowledge for those who are.....boardmember

And..............

What you had for dinner last night is "information" to a stranger, but "knowledge" to a friend.....boardmember

When you understand the profound meaning behind these, things will be much clearer........We should try to keep these in mind when discussing anything with anyone..........

Peace and Happy Holidays..........

Nov 4, 2013
I think our obsession stems from the level our DD's obsession. When she first started pitching at 9 years old I knew nothing (I still don't know as much as I wish I did) and I was happy not knowing anything. As she got more and more serious about it I did too. Now she is 13 and it has taken over both of our lives (in a good way I think). So, I don't really see a problem with being obsessed if your DD started the whole thing. Where I see dads getting into to trouble is when they care waaayyyy more than their DD does.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs