Inside-outside swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Here's how I'd describe this, feedback welcome.

Trout is not hitting the inside seams, but hitting behind the ball. But his hand path is inside out.

Also note that he is not 'long through' the ball here, does not get extension. Makes me think long through is not so necessary on inside pitches like this, when you're hitting behind or even around the ball (with an inside-out, short-to-the-ball swing).

Makes me think long through is not so necessary on inside pitches
But, possible see right gif:
Cabrera_FB_highside_sync.gif

Yep...possible:
Miggy_2014ASG_HR.gif

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Think inside...adjust outside.

Do you mean sorta guessing inside half and reacting to outside half?

That might be good advice for DD, who has a good inside-out swing mechanically, but sometimes to a fault. That is, she takes inside pitches the other way, often with weak results, rather than cranking it to LF. I think she does that because it requires less thinking. Going w/ the pitch requires more focus and discipline, and it's harder to do, but promises better results in the long run.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Do you mean sorta guessing inside half and reacting to outside half?
Think hands inside pitched ball. 'Think' hands/barrel path inside the ball. Adjust to the outside ball...when the ball is outside.
Easier to let hands/arms out to outside pitched ball. Hard to 'think'/swing barrel path outside ball and then try and pull the arms/hands back in.

Dec 15, 2012
This is correct you want to look inside and adjust to outside pitches.
- inside pitches require a slightly faster swing hit slightly out front.
- outside pitches get a little deeper so that you can hit it the other way

ian

Jun 11, 2015
This is correct you want to look inside and adjust to outside pitches.
- inside pitches require a slightly faster swing hit slightly out front.
- outside pitches get a little deeper so that you can hit it the other way

Ive heard Tony Gwynn and Barry Bonds say they look outside and adjust in. I think you should look in and adjust out. If you have eyes like Tony and Barry it probably doesnt matter.

May 20, 2015
Ive heard Tony Gwynn and Barry Bonds say they look outside and adjust in. I think you should look in and adjust out. If you have eyes like Tony and Barry it probably doesnt matter.

The reason for this is an outside pitch requires a batter to swing sooner than the inside pitch.
I'm not going to get into the mechanical reason behind this, other than to say:

for outside pitch the hinge angle MUST be released sooner than the inside pitch.
The outside pitch requires front side blocking sooner.
All of which creates a longer "mechanism". With this in mind, think of a figure skater doing the spin deal they do.
As the skater reaches above their head, the rotation gets faster. Faster rotation on an outside pitch gets the bat through the zone sooner.
If a hitter is able to connect with the ball, it most likely results in a topped or pulled ball.
I've said too much. Sorry.

To all you "pull hitters are not good hitters", ever hear of the late Ted Williams.
There are no absolute absolutes.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
you mean think middle/middle and adjust in/out, up/down.

Happy I could help you out.

Though he was a dead-pull hitter himself, Ted strongly advocated an up-the-middle/oppo mindset.
Ted didn't look middle/middle and adjust in/out,up/down. Ted looked to hit the ball up the middle.
WILLIAMS: Now, if I could give you any advice, it would be that the tougher the pitcher, the tougher the situation, the tougher the count, the worse the light, the worse the umpires, the tougher the delivery, the single most important thing to think about is hitting the ball hard through the middle. You'll never go wrong with that idea in your mind. As long as you hit, and especially as you get older, hang in there and be quick.
Happier that I could help you out.:p

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
The reason for this is an outside pitch requires a batter to swing sooner than the inside pitch.

for outside pitch the hinge angle MUST be released sooner than the inside pitch.
All of which creates a longer "mechanism". With this in mind, think of a figure skater doing the spin deal they do.
As the skater reaches above their head, the rotation gets faster. Faster rotation on an outside pitch gets the bat through the zone sooner.
If a hitter is able to connect with the ball, it most likely results in a topped or pulled ball.

To all you "pull hitters are not good hitters", ever hear of the late Ted Williams.
migrated-300x213.jpg

Ted was a 'dead pull' hittter who refused to change.
One thing your book made clear to me was the effectiveness of the “Williams shift” — or, as some called it, the Boudreau shift because it was invented by Lou Boudreau — which put most of the players on the right side of the field to counteract that dead-pull hitter’s stroke. Why didn’t he go against it by slapping balls to the opposite field?

Pride. Just silly stubborn pride. He just had to show that he could beat it.
Happy to help you again....Aren't I the little helper.

Last edited:

ian

Jun 11, 2015

Makes sense. What about zone location of outside pitch at contact? Deep in the zone or do we still hit the ball 'out in front'? Ive heard Gwynn and Will Clark talk about hitting the outside pitch out in front and not letting the ball get deep.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi