Inside-outside swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Might be 'confusing'...'hit the inside seams of the ball/hands inside the ball'. With hitting 'around' the body as opposed to hitting 'out from' your body.
Totally different.....
Dead pull hitters seemed to hit 'around' their bodies.

Nov 7, 2014
Dead Pull hitters as you call it swinging around there bodies are pulling the ball because they have poor pitch recognition or have not mastered the art of delaying swing launch for the outside pitches. so that there POC is correct.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
If you are speaking to me...
not mastered the art of delaying swing launch for the outside pitches.
Outside pitches should not be 'pulled'. Hit the ball where it is pitched.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Inside the Box - SI.com

Great article on staying inside the ball.

In the last 25 years, as further biomechanical studies have been done and video technology has improved, Williams's emphasis on rotational power and Lau's emphasis on linear power—they were both right—have blended to create the modern swing. To understand the overriding theme of current hitting theory, ask the three hitters today who are best at getting on base what the most important element of the swing is.

The Tigers' Miguel Cabrera (.452 on-base percentage, best in the majors): Stay inside the ball.

The Reds' Joey Votto (.434, second): I always try to stay inside the ball. I try to make sure when I make contact with the ball it's not topspin or carved—it's coming off true.

The Angels' Mike Trout (.430, third): The biggest thing is staying inside the ball, using my hands. That's the key for any guy coming up—patience to stay inside the ball and not trying to yank everything down the line.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Inside-out swing means launching the barrel within the sagittal plane... Most bypass this movement due to the momentum they create in the frontal plane (catcher to pitcher)

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
He did on this ball:
Trout_side_noext.gif

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
He did on this ball:
Trout_side_noext.gif

Here's how I'd describe this, feedback welcome.

Trout is not hitting the inside seams, but hitting behind the ball. But his hand path is inside out.

Also note that he is not 'long through' the ball here, does not get extension. Makes me think long through is not so necessary on inside pitches like this, when you're hitting behind or even around the ball (with an inside-out, short-to-the-ball swing).

Dec 15, 2012
- Keeps hands in close, and by doing so hits the ball square.
- This swing allows the ball to get a little deeper and keeps the bat on/behind the ball longer which should result in increased power.
- A dead pull hitter hits this ball out front and hooks it into foul territory.
- An inside out swing (hitting the inside or squaring up on the ball) will put more balls into fair territory and result in an increased batting average
- A good pull hitter will use 50 % of the field of play.
- Great hitters use 100% of the field of play by hitting the ball where it's pitched. Mike Trout does this extremely well.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Here's how I'd describe this, feedback welcome.

Trout is not hitting the inside seams, but hitting behind the ball. But his hand path is inside out.

Also note that he is not 'long through' the ball here, does not get extension. Makes me think long through is not so necessary on inside pitches like this, when you're hitting behind or even around the ball (with an inside-out, short-to-the-ball swing).

Hit the inside seam....is a que/cue to keep the hands inside the ball. Think inside...adjust outside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi