inside out hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2008
Slappers are useful to get you through the batting order to get the sluggers up again quicker. :D

May 20, 2008
The inside out cue

Hey,
Mark,
What the inside out cue means to me is keep your hands inside the ball. I believe the hand path must be elbow knob barrell. It doesnt matter where the ball is pitched. The batter still has to have his hands inside the path of the ball wheather the ball is inside or outside.

May 12, 2008
If you are saying the elbow, knob and barrel all need to come through the same plane, I agree.

R

RayR

Hey,
Mark,
What the inside out cue means to me is keep your hands inside the ball. I believe the hand path must be elbow knob barrell. It doesnt matter where the ball is pitched. The batter still has to have his hands inside the path of the ball wheather the ball is inside or outside.

I would not agree if you mean the elbow drives forwards independent of the torso. I see this taught around (have had first hand experience with it) and creates a maybe slighty quicker but still arm driven swing.

May 12, 2008
True. That's not what I pictured as his meaning but words are always subject to interpretation.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 20, 2008
swing sequence

MTS,

What i mean is once we are in our batting stance (which is balenced)
by bending at the waist and then softing the knees. As the pitch is delevered we go to our load by moving our hands back towards the catcher and at the same time striding on our lead foot and landing on the inside edge of the lead foot inside edge of the big toe of the lead foot. once the heal of the lead foot drops our swing starts by making a good first move with our lead elbow 2-4 inches towards the pitcher this first move ensures that the hands start on the correct hand path inside the ball. so what you now have is the hitter in a balenced position with the hands inside the ball by the elbow leading then the knob then the barell to contact. while this was happing the knob begins to get suck in the torso durning rotation of the swing. when we get to contact we have palm up palm down the back elbow slotting but clearning the body and lead leg is now stiff while the back foot is now on the back toe showing the pitcher the shoe laces of the back shoe. I hope this is clear and i hope i explained it right.

R

RayR

MTS,

What i mean is once we are in our batting stance (which is balenced)
by bending at the waist and then softing the knees. As the pitch is delevered we go to our load by moving our hands back towards the catcher and at the same time striding on our lead foot and landing on the inside edge of the lead foot inside edge of the big toe of the lead foot. once the heal of the lead foot drops our swing starts by making a good first move with our lead elbow 2-4 inches towards the pitcher this first move ensures that the hands start on the correct hand path inside the ball. so what you now have is the hitter in a balenced position with the hands inside the ball by the elbow leading then the knob then the barell to contact. while this was happing the knob begins to get suck in the torso durning rotation of the swing. when we get to contact we have palm up palm down the back elbow slotting but clearning the body and lead leg is now stiff while the back foot is now on the back toe showing the pitcher the shoe laces of the back shoe. I hope this is clear and i hope i explained it right.

The part in bold is what I question. Are you saying that you teach a move that the front arm (elbow) moves laterally across the chest? Kind of like a fence drill move?

This is what I was exposed to last year and quite frankly is not what I see good hitters doing and my team did not have much success with this.

This hitting system also advocated squshing the bug and the way it was explained to me was that the front arm would bring the everything around.

They also included a drill where the top hand was reversed on the bat so that it taught hitters to push through contact.

Do you see this move in this hitter?

Photo 10 of 16, Fastpitch

Now, if you talking about the front arm remaining rigid at the elbow and this move driving the front shoulder complex (scapula) around that is different.

May 20, 2008
Heres what i mean

MTS,
The photo you post of Caitlin Benyi is the end result as to what i am trying to accomplish when i teach. That swing to me looks close to perfect.

I might be wrong but what i see is a linear first move, she loads then moves foreward. On her load i see her loading the back scapula which i try to teach when she moves foreward i see a good first move with the lead elbow moving foreward about 2 inches and then the elbow starts to rotate around. She also get up on her back toe.

I also do not like the fence drill becaue i believe it makes a hitter lose connection. As far as the top hand reversed on the bat i like this drill when we work on extension with the bottom hand. I believe the top hand in the swing process goes along for the ride, and does not push the bat through. I have worked hard to learn as much about the swing as i can. My foundation about the swing comes from Steve Englishbey and also a high level hitting coach out of Ohio as well as ifubuiltit. If i have missed anything please let me know i am also willing to listen and learn more.

May 12, 2008
I see scapular movement but I don't see elbow flexion till late in the swing as an adjustment to an inside location.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simonet