Increase pitching speed help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 30, 2010
Just thought I would give an update on the ffort to increase speed. Daughter took off a week after high school season before starting routine. We took a weighted ball/light ball/regular ball routine from pc(Ernie Parker) and added long toss the day after weighted ball workout followed by a day off. HS season ended two weeks ago and daughter had an opportunity to pitch today to HS catcher and coach. Both commented on her increased speed and asked what she was doing. Thanks for all your help and suggestions, it seems like it's working.

May 10, 2010
increase pitching speed help

My DD is 13 and throws 55 , has fast ball , change and is working on 3 more. This did not happen over night, she started when she was six . We have thrown at least 2 times a week for 7 years. That speed is achieved with good form , arm speed, snap. and leg drive. She only uses weighted balls for L snaps to strenghten wrist. She does walk ups, 1st from the mound in sets of 5or 6 then moving back 5 ft until almost to the outfield grass or when the ball starts bouncing in. Then start moving back towards the mound. Othe than that it is nothing more than reps. By the way she plays in about 80 games a season, pithcing in about 60 and has not had any shoulder or elbow injuries. My advice is focus on the mechanics and reps speed will come.

May 8, 2009
Florida
My 15 yo DD likes to do two things in her workout for speed. After she warms uop and throw a few full speed, she will distance throw, three steps back for three pitches, and again three steps back - until she gets to second base. She moves forward and twice the pace (six steps for three pitches). She never throws these for strkes, instead getting some air into them. After that she does a heavy ball (8 oz) and then a light ball (6 oz). We never go more than 8 oz on the heavy side. Right now her FB tops at 55 - 56.

Dec 30, 2009
" Long Toss " for speed- I have a bone to pick here! If we believe in the " drop " as our foundation pitch instead of a so-called fastball, we should take a serious look at the effects of
" long toss ", especially if we believe in establishing a release point by brushing the hip! To try to release a " drop " effectively from 60 to 90 feet becomes very counter-productive, to say the least, because of how much it distorts a normal release posture ( arching the back etc. )- at the same time influencing a tendency to get away from the hip and forcing the release, significantly changing the launch angle which causes the ball to sail without a proper or effective finishing action.I see the evidence of this consistently on T.V. with college pitchers getting bombed throwing in the mid-to-high 60's. Speed development is obviously important; but this area of emphasis ( long toss ) except for the " rise ball " is counter-productive. The " rise " is another story!

Jan 27, 2010
The object of the long toss is not intended for any one pitch. The intent is to strengthen the throwing muscles, not to establish a release point. I don't think anyone has suggested that you throw a drop doing long toss drills. Most of the pitcher you refer to as getting bombed are those that have speed but have little or no movement.

May 15, 2010
Central Illinois
Markwort makes weighted balls in 11" and 12" in 1 ounce increments from 4 ounces to 12 ounces. My U10 daughter uses 7oz, 8oz, and then a 4oz for overspeed drills. In my opinion, the weighted balls are a good tool, but don't overuse them or use anything too heavy. We do a drill with 30-40 pitches with a regular ball, 20 with a 7oz ball, 20 with an 8oz ball, 20 with a 7oz ball, then 30 with a regular ball. Consult your pitching coach first, though.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
It is my belief that adding one ounce of weight to a softball for pitching drills is too much. The shoulder is a complex joint and I would rather error on the safe side.

Addressing the weighted ball issue first, let's look at the possibilities. First, the over- and under-weighting of balls should be at nearly normal weights. It should only be attempted by someone who has the ability to mix and match correctly: that means someone who is able to diagnose little and big mechanical flaws correctly and help the pitcher make appropriate adjustments.
This doesn't mean that, because I learned a little about how to teach a particular system that we all are good diagnosticians. It does mean that, if you are not a good and knowledgeable coach, you can provide the impetus for a young pitcher to hurt or seriously injure her arm.

I think relatively few of us coaches really know how to supervise this type of activity.

The bottom line for me is that we can do a lot of harm while we are trying to do a lot of good. We need to take care not to overstep our limitations in the knowledge and application areas.

Before I came to this conclusion, I had my DD throwing the 8 ounce ball with a full windmill. She promptly broke my finger. I am not sure who Martwort thinks can properly catch these weighted balls, but it will never be me, again. :)

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2010
Weighted balls are fine but obviously can cause injury if not used right. My 15 year old daughter has been using the for 4 years, and the back one for at least 2 1/2 years. Long toss, rapid fire drills, and walk throughs are very effective (long toss is key). AZ Amy is right about the 14" balls, but they're more about strengthening the hands and fingers for snap and control. Also, work her legs and core. That's extremely important for increasing speed.

Jan 30, 2010
Just checking in for a quick report. Daughter has not had the time we thought she would for weighted balls but has long tossed and had the opportunity for about 15 starts this summer in the circle. There is no substitute for innings pitched. She has picked up some much needed speed but most importantly had the opportunity to improve curve, drop and changups. Had the opportunity to pitch against jr. colleges players and signees twice and struck out 5 each game in 5 inning games. Hope to use the fall for some weighted ball drills but more importantly long toss every week. Thanks for all the advice

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
From what I am observing through study of various high school/travel pitchers this year and looking at them in high speed slow motion perhaps the greatest potential for increased speed lies in slight alterations in mechanics relating to the position of and release sequence of the the upper body (shoulder, upper arm, elbow, forearm, wrist and fingers). Notably pitchers whose throwing shoulder did not continue to lead the way after heel plant but quieted to allow the rest of the arm to whip through seemed to throw hardest. I am going to work mechanics with my DD (who is only league 9) before I consider strength training or weighted balls. I think more speed potential is found in trying to uncover the mechanics of those who seem to easily throw hard.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish