Improving throwing velocity

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
Can anyone suggest exercises to help increase my dd's throwing velocity to 2nd base?

you'll get input from very good catching coaches and I would suggest along with stronger arm strength.. KNOW and improve two other aspects...
***** we all talk Pop time (Glove-to-Glove) Part of th Pop time is HOW FAST she transitions and releases the ball once it touches her Catcher's glove......
1) Time her Glove-to-Glove time, as it will be a forcing function for her to move more quickly to release. (I find many catchers with strong arms take way too long to set up to throw.

2) KNOW her Glove to Release time!

This allows you to work WITHOUT THROWING a ball BEFORE and in between throws to help coordinate her footwork..

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
Throwing is a complex effort, that doesnt depend on sheer strength that much really. In fact a more muscular heavier arm can actually slow down speed (when taken to extreme limits) . So can a fatter heavier arm. It depends a lot on stretch reflex of the muscles involved, the rate at which the muscles are trained to fire, and technique to get the most out of what you have. It involves the torque of the torso as much as the arm and shoulder muscles.

Arm length is a plus too, thats why major league pitchers are usually pretty tall. 6'2-6'4 is pretty common.

But, the easiest thing usually to improve on softball girls is the wrist snap. This can add 5-8 mph to a throw. This is why pitchers work on this extensively. All girls really should, but most dont because the infield distances are pretty short. Speed training type workouts which use elastic bands will benefit a lot, not sure how widespread that is where you are, but it trains natural movements for speed and explosiveness, and is great for athletes in all sports. If you have acess to a speed training coach/facility I highly recommend it. It will improve an athlete dramatically.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
Dredge61,
I also am curious as to the age of your DD? There are a lot of factors that come into play. From age and body developement to stance, transition from stance to throw, ball handling, (Received ball to throwing hand) and the actual mechanics of throwing itself. (Including arm and body motion)

Chaz @ Advanced Catching Concepts

May 8, 2008
I haven't been able to time but it is not going to get out to many HS runners. I f I had to estimate I would guess time wise from release to second would be about 4 sec.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish