Importance of name of organization

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2013
What team was she with when she was first seen by program? That is most likely the team that helped her get the job done.

Actually it was her Dad that put in the work, established the relationships and got her to the camps to get the job done. Our club team had great training and provided a stage, but did little as far as recruiting.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Actually it was her Dad that put in the work, established the relationships and got her to the camps to get the job done. Our club team had great training and provided a stage, but did little as far as recruiting.

This is the most common recipe for success. Who you play with and where you play is highly overrated.

Oct 2, 2015
Hey just a big THANK YOU to all you guys for giving us the low down on recruitment through various types of teams...

I love the fist first philosophy when describing the ins and outs of it all! No BS... Thanks...

Oct 5, 2015
This is the most common recipe for success. Who you play with and where you play is highly overrated.

I agree but I think you open your options by aligning with more well known organizations. You will be on the best fields, playing against the best competition and you may get noticed while a coach is there to watch someone else. Not to mention playing against the better teams and the improvement that results from playing against better quality. The disparate wildcat team can compete but it's much more satisfying to play against So Cal A's Mercado or McNee, not to mention the number of colleges that are in attendance.

I would much rather be playing at Big League Dreams in Perris or Centennial Park in Longmont or Stazio in Boulder than playing on some field in BFE at 8am. I want my kids to play the top teams at the best times to maximize their opportunities and like it or not that typically is a result of going the right team in the right organization.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I agree but I think you open your options by aligning with more well known organizations. You will be on the best fields, playing against the best competition and you may get noticed while a coach is there to watch someone else. Not to mention playing against the better teams and the improvement that results from playing against better quality. The disparate wildcat team can compete but it's much more satisfying to play against So Cal A's Mercado or McNee, not to mention the number of colleges that are in attendance.

I would much rather be playing at Big League Dreams in Perris or Centennial Park in Longmont or Stazio in Boulder than playing on some field in BFE at 8am. I want my kids to play the top teams at the best times to maximize their opportunities and like it or not that typically is a result of going the right team in the right organization.

I agree that if your goal is to get "discovered" a big name team is a must. But if you are approaching the recruiting process in a calculated, deliberate manner the advantage is minimal. It is the difference between hoping something happens and going out an making things happen. I think it is best to take charge of ones destiny and not roll the dice and hope for the best.

Mar 26, 2013
I agree that if your goal is to get "discovered" a big name team is a must. But if you are approaching the recruiting process in a calculated, deliberate manner the advantage is minimal. It is the difference between hoping something happens and going out an making things happen. I think it is best to take charge of ones destiny and not roll the dice and hope for the best.
I agree with taking action rather than sitting back and hoping, however a recognized name helps there too when coaches are inundated by players and have to choose/prioritize which ones they're going to check out.

The franchising by big name orgs (e.g. FC, BB) has devalued their names somewhat, especially if they've accepted some mediocre-to-weak teams to carry their name. Some people choose them expecting the high-profile head will help, however that's not possible in orgs with a large number of teams in every age group.

I believe coaches with a good track record of players getting recruited while playing for them is more important (caution: don't be fooled by coaches whose roster is full of players that committed before joining their team). The reputations and relationships those coaches have established with college coaches are extremely important. They'll do more without a big name than a parent coach going through it the first time will with a 'big' name.

Jul 14, 2010
I'm not sure if anyone has asked about D I II or III prospects. I think it may be different. While meeting with a D III coach he mentioned to our DD that he had looked up our organization to see where players had gone to play in the past. Your DD needs to take ownership of her recruiting process, make the contacts week after week, etc. Our team had a dedicated mom who approached coaches and advocated on our players behalf. An organization could help with a great website, up to date profiles, and publishing commitments but I would look at that as a indicator of where their priorities are. A younger team if you have high goals is more important all things being equal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I am sure that this has been touched on but having a coach with connections is HUGE! A few weeks ago DD was at practice and there is a dad who has been helping with this team this summer that I didn't know who he was. I talked to him during breaks and I was wondering how and why he was there. After practice one day, we tell the HC that DD won't be around because of a XYZ camp. This dad asked if XXX school will be there and DD replied with a yes. He said, let me make a phone call and give me a list of the schools that will be there and I will call those coaches. Huh? Who is this guy? I find out that his DD is a head coach that has coached on the East Coast and West Coast in high profile programs. Also having coaches that are former college players are important in the recruiting process as well. They have connections because they not only played for, but were recruited by the same coaches that DD is reaching out to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes