Importance of name of organization

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
It's just because I don't love the big organizations around here. ... I don't like to think that if she does want to that we may need to go to an organization we don't really like just to get into the good tournaments and things.

Why don't you like them? I'm not affiliated with any of them, was just curious.

Most all organizations like these are polarizing. They wield a lot of power, which means they will make enemies. And they are very competitive, so coaches in one will bad-mouth the other. You don't have to go far to find people who will trash them. Or you might play one of their teams and not like their coach's attitude.

But it's hard IMO to make generalizations because so much depends on which team, which coach, etc.

For example, my DD picked up w/ a GA Impact team for a showcase in ATL last fall. They let her play as a favor to the college coach who was recruiting my DD and wanted to watch her that weekend, as DD's own team wasn't attending. Team already had 15 players at this showcase, so you can imagine how un-welcoming these players and parents might've been toward DD. But instead, largely because of a classy coach, they could not have been more friendly and understanding. DD even got 2 emails from players on the team after we got back home, wishing her luck. I could not have been more impressed. If we lived in ATL, DD would be begging to be on that team.

Yet, I'm sure there are lots of folks out there who'll tell you they'll never play for the Impact and how they were wronged, etc. Pretty confident that the Vipers, Impact and Bullets lead the state in both ''best thing that ever happened to me'' and ''I hate them, they done me wrong, etc.''

Final thought - I'm not a big fan of these mega-serious 10U and 12U teams. Not sure they are really serving kids at that age. More about adults serving their own competitiveness and ego. So I can see where those 10U teams can be off-putting. Of course, it doesn't get any less serious at 16U, but at least then, those teams are providing a service (recruiting/competition), and kids are old enough to know if that's what they want or not.

Jun 12, 2015
It's not really that I don't like the organizations specifically, that sounds way too personal. There's just such a cutthroat feel to things at that level. I imagine if they want to play in college that's just something we have to deal with. We actually decided to go back to B for this year, we're feeling so burned out from it. I'm coming at this from a 10U perspective, feeling a bit protective of my sweet little girl who only just stopped believing in Santa, ya know? I'm sure in 3 or 4 years my perspective will be entirely different. And honestly, she's very tough. I think it's harder on me.

We played the 05 Impact a couple of times this spring (once my DD pitched the full game, they only got us 4-2, & only 1 earned run. I was very proud of her - they have one BIG hitter she struck out 3 times over a game and a half. She said she noticed watching them play that she couldn't lay off the high and outside pitches, and used that against her. Talk about proud mom moment, anyway...). I thought they were a class act for sure. Had a lot of fun playing them, good sportsmanship, really friendly parents. SO yeah, I should have elaborated a bit, I didn't mean it sound like I had something against individual orgs & it totally did sound that way.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
Sign your daughter up for a camp. I guarantee every registration form asks for the team she plays for, if not her whole resume.

I'm not saying it's impossible to get looked at without playing for a big organization. All I'm saying is that it's a huge help, opens doors, and makes the process a whole lot easier.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Sign your daughter up for a camp. I guarantee every registration form asks for the team she plays for, if not her whole resume.

Like getting the best fields at showcases, some camps are that way. I remember last year that several players on DD's team went to a major D-I camp. Our players were grouped together. Other org's had sent multiple players. You could see that certain groups were viewed as stronger than others. They were not put together at random. The stronger groups hit last and were getting more attention from head coach. It was similar to a showcase. Coach was making educated guesses based on the organization and the TB coaches that she knew. I think it was presumed that our players were mid-major/D-II players, and that was a pretty good presumption.

Obviously, if you perform really well, you'll still get noticed. Maybe you hit 6 balls over the fence off front toss. Or maybe you run a 2.6 home to first. Maybe your overhand is 71 mph. But if you're just a very good player who lacks the 'wow' factor, I can't help but think you're at an advantage wearing a certain jersey at these camps.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

I'm not saying it's impossible to get looked at without playing for a big organization. All I'm saying is that it's a huge help, opens doors, and makes the process a whole lot easier.

So am I to understand that they will not look at her while at their own camp unless she plays for the Platinum Gold Select Elite? I would expect that if she has skills above and beyond the others at the camp they would still be interested in her regardless of who she plays for on the weekends. What am I missing? The camp forms also have fields for phone numbers and email addresses. Do area codes and domain names also make a difference? :)

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2016
That may be a stretch. Orginazations over hype players, but I don’t think there’s a conspiracy or any extortion going on

IMO The biggest reason kids drop off is maturity. They’re coddled throughout their youth and can’t have make their own life decisions with academics, sports and social life.

Oh yes, there's some extortion, know of several kids who TBH, suck, but were sold to a D1SEC coach for basically a promise of nothing, as walk ons or maybe books from a team that the org has been mentioned here.
That SEC coach will cut their butts in a heartbeat.
Its not as prevalent in the middle or eastern states by any stretch, but when certain So Cal teams push 11yr olds, already discussed it some of the coaches.

Think of it this way, you have people whose sole living comes from fulfilling college aspiration dreams. They basically sell dreams. And phrase no such thing as bad advertising fits.
Based on success rates and getting verballed earlier than any rival and can fulfill those 'dreams' means the more 8-11yr olds will sign up for teams, lessons etc...@$85 +/- an hr.
And I'm not saying they use bad coaching and empty promises, the ones I know are brutal coaches, not necessarily attitude but 'honey' "good job Baby" are not in their vocabulary.

Know of one org it costs $6K just to wear the jersey, but wearing it means you will get a scholarship, period. And despite what the vast majority of parents claim, a full ride is very rare, especially when scholarship is based on a yr-yr basis.

And yes, BELIEVE me if and when a kid comes being coddled and put on a princess pedestal and get to college...and is expected to A. perform, B. be very physically challenged, C. up at 0500 for workouts...actually make good grades and not be a social media disaster, the herd gets thinned quickly

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
... Know of one org it costs $6K just to wear the jersey, but wearing it means you will get a scholarship, period.

Regardless of the organization if you can chew gum and play ball you will get a scholarship. Only question is where. The process is very simple. People over think it and make it make it difficult. Many of the big names are very good a getting girls into elite programs where they end up chasing foul balls or making the brownies. The truly great organizations get them into the programs that is a true fit where they actually get clay on their jersey. When looking at a team it does not matter which showcases they attend or where the players get signed. The real thing that matters is the success of the player once they get to the next level.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2016
Regardless of the organization if you can chew gum and play ball you will get a scholarship. Only question is where. The process is very simple. People over think it and make it make it difficult. Many of the big names are very good a getting girls into elite programs where they end up chasing foul balls or making the brownies. The great organizations get them into the programs that is a true fit where they actually get clay on their jersey.

Very true, but lets face it, most dreams and aspirations are for (sadly) D1, Power 5 or bust.
Personally I think kids should figure whats best for THEM, as in a major, or if they truly like a school not based on what Mummy and Daddy want.

Things such as distance from home DO matter, city where school is located. In a LOT of cases a JUCO is a great choice, allows some growing up and seeing reality.
Tons of variables and kids recruiting at 11 have no clue what they're getting into. Know a ton of kids who were heartbroken when they don't get in the school they wanted, based solely on 'want'
And the only thing they did to get recruited, besides play (usually at a very low level) is HOPE they get noticed.
Hope is not a tactic.

One I love the most is when folks seek the secret, of which there isnt one, and my first question is, what'd she make on the ACT/ SAT and they get cross eyed and reply shes only a HS soph. and I tell them, that's the FIRST thing a college coach wants to know.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I don't see a huge number of unknown teams...most are big time orgs. (insert expensive) are they not?

Some big time organizations build their teams AFTER the girls are committed. The Bham Thunderbolts are a great example. I bet 2/3 of the players on their 18U team came to the team AFTER they committed to play college ball. Some colleges use a TB organization like a "minor league system". A parent who did not realize this would look at the roster of the 18U Thunderbolt team and say "WOW, if my DD plays for this team she is going to play in the SEC!"

College coaches also want their committed players to face the best competition they can while they are still in high school, so this usually means teams that are committed to traveling and playing in big showcases and nationals.

Nov 18, 2013
Some big time organizations build their teams AFTER the girls are committed. The Bham Thunderbolts are a great example. I bet 2/3 of the players on their 18U team came to the team AFTER they committed to play college ball. Some colleges use a TB organization like a "minor league system". A parent who did not realize this would look at the roster of the 18U Thunderbolt team and say "WOW, if my DD plays for this team she is going to play in the SEC!"

College coaches also want their committed players to face the best competition they can while they are still in high school, so this usually means teams that are committed to traveling and playing in big showcases and nationals.

One of DD’s friends is on that team. Great kid. She committed while she was up here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12