Illegal pitchs-Florida/UCLA

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
I only got to see the first 4 innings of the ballgame, but I think the umps were more lenient with UCLA on the strike zone and two of the legal pitchs shown on Strombacher were very questionable. I thought it was a very poorly officated game and the umpires controlled the game too much and put Florida in almost a no-win situation. I also thought the 10 second call on UCLA batter in the 1st inning was also a questionable call. If you're going to go by the book in the WCWS then you should go by the book the whole season.

Apr 24, 2010
Foothills of NC
I agree that the umps put Florida in a bad situation. On one hand Fla should have solved this problem earlier, but on the other hand the NCAA needs to make up it's mind either to call them or not. They've let IP's slide all year why start on the opening day of the WCWS.

It's no fun playing ball like this. Let them play. Straighten this stuff out in the off season.

As I write this Tenn just had an IP called.

Tim

Apr 2, 2010
Does anyone think that they are trying to be strict with the interpretation of the rules to make a point when the viewership is its largest?

Mar 18, 2010
Pennsylvania
Honestly, you people are unbelievable. Have any of you even considered that these are the best of the best umpires. They have a year-round rating system, and the best make it to the WCWS. THESE are the guys that HAVE been calling the IP's all year as well as applying all of the rules appropriately.

"They've let IP's slide all year why start on the opening day of the WCWS. " Um, no, they haven't.

"two of the legal pitchs shown on Strombacher were very questionable." Saw 'em. Wrong again.

"Let them play." Follow the rules. Don't pitch illegally.

"Does anyone think that they are trying to be strict with the interpretation of the rules to make a point when the viewership is its largest? " Nope, see above.

"Fla should have solved this problem earlier" BINGO!

Mar 13, 2010
Honestly, you people are unbelievable. Have any of you even considered that these are the best of the best umpires. They have a year-round rating system, and the best make it to the WCWS. THESE are the guys that HAVE been calling the IP's all year as well as applying all of the rules appropriately.

"They've let IP's slide all year why start on the opening day of the WCWS. " Um, no, they haven't.

"two of the legal pitchs shown on Strombacher were very questionable." Saw 'em. Wrong again.

"Let them play." Follow the rules. Don't pitch illegally.

"Does anyone think that they are trying to be strict with the interpretation of the rules to make a point when the viewership is its largest? " Nope, see above.

"Fla should have solved this problem earlier" BINGO!

ASAPAump.....well put! Could not have said it better myself.

Want to see how the "best of the best" do it...watch U3 in the AZ/TN game, he's got the AZ HC in his face about the IP's, kept hIs composure like a true professional, AND he's got the backbone, guts, and integrity to call 2 more IP's that sent TN runners in from third base to score.
ESPN had great replay shots of the IP's, those my friends were leaps. no doubt about it.

Apr 24, 2010
Foothills of NC
They were with out a doubt IP's, not questioning that. Just questioning the timing. I agree the umps are doing a good job. Although if your going to call IP's they need to call all of them and they are not.

ASAPAump I disagree, they have let alot slide. I wish I new were to find the stats.

Nevertheless I believe the umps are doing what their superiors ordered. My argument is with the NCAA not strictly following their own rules throughout the year. In reality I think it's a stupid rule and believe it should be changed. I don't see it helping the pitcher at all.

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
Um...I find myself agreeing with umpires. Do have to give up my irrational coach and crazy daddy merit badges?

Please help. I'm very confused and feeling vulnerable.

Mar 18, 2010
Pennsylvania
Although if your going to call IP's they need to call all of them and they are not.

Don't listen to the announcers. After Fowler gets called for an IP, she makes an obvious (and successful!) effort of keeping that foot down. The announcers and Candrea are trying to say she has the exact same motion all of the time. Not true. I can see it from the centerfield camera when she is leaping.

Besides, even IF you are correct that the umps are missing some, it is probably because it is not their top priority at the time. As much as people like to think the umps are out gunning for the pitchers, they have other duties. If there is a runner in a stealing position, the ump is going to focus on the runner leaving early, and probably only catch the pitch out of the corner of his/her eye. Now, once the runners have no where to go, or if there are no runners on, you are more likely to see the IP called.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid