Illegal pitching-no call??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
The only time I've ever seen umpires call illegal pitches has to do with coming onto the rubber with hands separated. I've seen that called a bunch of times. This amuses me because it's a minor thing that doesn't give much of an advantage, while that replant definitely does give an advantage. But they don't call that, pretty much ever.

TMD

Feb 18, 2016
Anyone have a good video of a real crow hop?
Here's one that fueled the 97-page Barnhill thread.

Monica Abbot also takes a good 6-8 inch step off the rubber and pushes from there...is that also considered a crow hop?

Jun 4, 2014
That is 100% a crow hop/replant. It is not at all difficult to see an illegal pitch. All you have to do is watch the push-foot knee. If that knee at any moment points behind the invisible line connecting first and third base, it is always a crow hop/replant. It really is that easy. This was supposed to be a point of emphasis 3 years ago, but obviously it didn't take hold. If an umpire says it's difficult to see if a pitch is illegal, they are either not watching the right thing or lying.

Jun 22, 2008
A whole bunch of comments many of them having nothing to do with actual rules. Nothing in the rules say a word about knees being bent or behind imaginary lines or toes pointing some direction or another.

If you have to super slow motion something to try and see it then it probably isn't a violation. I even stopped the video and cannot tell if the foot is physically off the ground or not. If the foot is legally dragging then there is absolutely nothing illegal about this pitcher. I have posted it numerous times over the years every time this kind of topic comes up. If the pitcher is dragging the foot there is nothing in the rules that say that foot cannot bear weight again, the knee be bent etc. It is referred to as a push drag push or crow drag delivery. Both USA softball and NFHS issued clarifications on this back in 2012

Mar 28, 2014
The only time I've ever seen umpires call illegal pitches has to do with coming onto the rubber with hands separated. I've seen that called a bunch of times. This amuses me because it's a minor thing that doesn't give much of an advantage, while that replant definitely does give an advantage. But they don't call that, pretty much ever.
Amen Amen Amen. Blows my mind that they will call illegal pitch if there is no contact with the pitcher's plate by the back foot with one pitcher and the next half inning the other pitcher leaps every pitch and nothing is said. Terrible.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles