illegal pitches?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2011
I realize this is a joke, but my experience says 5-10% reduction when leapers are forced to not leap.
Interesting, with leapers I see a 5pct/10pct increase in speed when they fix the mechanical flaws causing the leap. If they are getting an increase in speed from "leaping" it's likely "crow hopping". The speed reduction I see when they have to try to stop leaping in the middle of a game after it is called is from having to slow down their mechanics to not "leap".

In 8u I told the umpire to call leaping on my pitchers so I could fix it, told them I didn't care whether they called it or not on the other team.

I told my players to concentrate on hitting the ball, not worry about what the pitcher may or may not be doing illegal.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2018
Georgia
Teams that focus on a leaping pitcher get beat! Focus on hitting the ball and let the umpire call it or not. Leaping can actually cause a slight decrease in speed. I am watching USC vs Texas AM right now and the USC pitcher is Leaping on most pitches. But you don't notice it unless you slo motion it. Texas AM wining 3 to 0 at the moment. Yes rules are rules, but do you slow motion every base runner to see if they are leaving 1000th of a second too early? Get over it and play the game. If the base runner leave 1 second early then it's obvious and same for pitchers leaping 3 or more inches off the ground. But marginal infractions shouldn't be focused on every pitch.

Apr 12, 2015
I realize this is a joke, but my experience says 5-10% reduction when leapers are forced to not leap.
My experience is that this isn't the result of not leaping, but the result of the pitcher having to do something they aren't fully comfortable with.

If anything, all things being equal, leaping should be a negative in terms of speed gain, not a positive.

Jan 25, 2022
Understand. A friend who is a HS umpire attends some of my DD's games and says pitchers are doing this illegally during her games. Probably similar to leaving early.... it's being done, but its hard to see real time.
Maybe I'm not thinking the same as what you're describing, but stepping back during the load is perfectly legal. As I understand it, that rule was changed a couple years ago. I'd say 3/4 of the players I see around here at the Ms and HS level are doing it.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Should be noted
Rules on mechanics are not the same across call softball venues.
ie: High School could be different than at pgf or usssa

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I've said this before in the ridiculously large thread about Jordy The Leaper for OU, so I'll say it again here. Leaping gives the pitcher extra distance that puts them closer to the plate at release. I can't say if it hurts or helps their mechanics, but I can see why releasing the ball 6-8" closer to the plate could help some girls with velocity. Bahl gets as close to the plate as Fouts despite the fact she's 6" shorter and doesn't have the leg length Fouts does.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
*IF there is any increase or decrease in Pitch speed whether it's on purpose or not on purpose, in the air or dragging...

If a pitcher throwing 2, 3 or 5 miles an hour faster or slower is defeating your batters it's not because of what the pitcher is doing
it's because the timing of your batters is off.

Think about it...
those differences are variables that pitchers control on a regular basis!!!
Mixing speeds
Full speed
Reduced speed
Off speed
Change ups
Should always be happening in the mix of pitches.

Great changeups having the greatest variance from the fastest pitching speeds to the slowest 10 to 15 mph slower

That could be 65 mph
To 50 mph
Greater difference than 5 or 10%

Jun 8, 2016
*IF there is any increase or decrease in Pitch speed whether it's on purpose or not on purpose, in the air or dragging...

If a pitcher throwing 2, 3 or 5 miles an hour faster or slower is defeating your batters it's not because of what the pitcher is doing
it's because the timing of your batters is off.

Think about it...
those differences are variables that pitchers control on a regular basis!!!
Mixing speeds
Full speed
Reduced speed
Off speed
Change ups
Should always be happening in the mix of pitches.

Great changeups having the greatest variance from the fastest pitching speeds to the slowest 10 to 15 mph slower

That could be 65 mph
To 50 mph
Greater difference than 5 or 10%
I understand what you are saying but you are thinking purely about good hitters. For good hitters, after they have seen 60,65,70,etc for a bit they will be able to hit it. For not so good hitters, their mechanics/lack of athleticism just won't allow them to hit above a certain speed in which case a pitcher being able to reduce reaction time due to leaping is going to be an advantage...;)

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I've said this before in the ridiculously large thread about Jordy The Leaper for OU, so I'll say it again here. Leaping gives the pitcher extra distance that puts them closer to the plate at release. I can't say if it hurts or helps their mechanics, but I can see why releasing the ball 6-8" closer to the plate could help some girls with velocity. Bahl gets as close to the plate as Fouts despite the fact she's 6" shorter and doesn't have the leg length Fouts does.
Not velocity.
Rather it is a batter timing the pitch release point.

Recognizing Pitch release points are not always the same~
from different pitching mechanics to different size of bodies some pitchers released the ball below their knee and their Shin some are releasing it above the knee lots of variables it all comes down to timing of the batter.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi