illegal pitch???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Crow Hop

What The male pitcher is doing is called a 'Crow Hop' and is illegal in ASA and every other rulebook. However, it is not enforced at the Major and international levels.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
What The male pitcher is doing is called a 'Crow Hop' and is illegal in ASA and every other rulebook. However, it is not enforced at the Major and international levels.

You know what else isn't enforced and that is keeping the pitcher within the white lines from the pitcher's mound. Why paint them if you don't enforce them?

Aug 21, 2008

All due respect here Hal, you're way off. The men's ISF World championship held this year was plagued with DIP's (dreaded illegal pitch). Every game had them.

USA is the only country in the world where crowhopping is not called, every other country plays by ISF pitching rules which are identical for men and women. It's not called ASA tournaments because they don't care about men's fastpitch anymore, it's not a money maker. And if they do call it, then even fewer pitchers would keep going and they'd lose even more money. The older pitchers need to do something to keep up and there are virtually no new ones coming up through to take their place. Even with the jumping and crowopping, the game has been evened out by the equipment. I can't remember the last time an ASA or ISC top pitcher had an era under 1.00. That used to be the norm.

I still say it's ridiculous to keep antiquated pitching rules but let the offense run out of the box (slappers), use $500 bats, and use polycore balls (old balls used to be cork center). Pitchers work their a$$es off all year to see pop flies get hit for HR's by the state of the art equipment. 1st and 3rd basemen (and pitchers) need facemasks yet most people want to comment on what is an "illegal pitch". It's unbelievable to me. We need to keep the pitcher restricted and cry BLOODY MURDER about any infringement because of a pitcher trying to compensate for old rules and new equipment.

"It's boring to see pitchers strike everyone out" is the popular cry. Ok, then play a lower level where the pitching isn't so good or go work harder at your hitting! Quit spending so much time worrying about your "swing mechanics" and learn how to hit a moving pitch.

Ok, off my soapbox now and feeling better! LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321