illegal pitch???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 25, 2009
We have a pitcher on our team who is a closed style pitcher. Her pitch looks to be illegal but we are not sure. She pushes off of the pitching rubber with her right foot, steps out and pushes off of the ground with her left foot then releases the ball at the same time she is stepping and bringing her right knee up. Seems like she is getting an extra push off using her left foot. We are concerned about having illegal pitching calls on this in tournaments.

Jul 21, 2008
How is she pushing with her left foot? I don't understand that seem almost impossible. Now if she is planting the left foot and pushing back resisting her weight from going forward that is something totally different and I would not change that. Is she pushing toward the catcher with the left foot?

Tell us more about how she is pushing with her left foot. Video would be nice.

Mar 25, 2009
She steps off pitching rubber w/ left foot, lands left foot. Then, brings right foot and throwing arm forward. Then, she pushes again with left foot and the pitch is snapped. Looks like she is adding an extra hop that i have never seen in other closed style pitchers. Are you allowed to push off pitching rubber with right foot then land left foot on the ground and push off with the left foot. Sorry I have way to video, I know it would be easier.

Is her right foot dragging the ground, or does it lose contact with the ground prior to release?

Like in this pic of Abbott? Her right foot (rather than left, since she's left handed :) ) isn't even down yet, but look how far she is from the pitcher's plate.

(Her grip looks interesting in this pic, too, IMHO....)

abbott04.jpg

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
katrox, it sounds to me like what you're really asking, is "is she releasing the ball too late?" (i.e: well after the left foot has landed)

That sounds like it would indicate she's almost pitching off the left foot, and just using the right as kind of a preliminary step?

Mar 25, 2009
TimothyJ - That is exactly what it looks like, that she is taking a step before her pitch starts. Sorry I know I had everyone confused. SHe has no drag in her pitch at all. Is this illegal? Just seems she has an unfair advantage of being a step closer to the plate.

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
I have no idea if it's illegal or not, I was really just trying to get a better image of what she's doing. LOL

It does sound rather akward though. How's her speed? Seems to me she'd lose quite a bit of velocity by letting that left leg land, and then throwing (at least the way I'm imagining it)

I've had people point out illegal pitches for an extra step, but it was because of a small step with the left, then the right.

Hopefully some of the more experienced folks can chime in on the legality.

BM (or anyone else), what do you think of the grip Abbott is using in the pic I posted? What pitch is she throwing, with her middle finger on top of her index finger? Screw ball maybe? Some kind of off-speed?

(Obviously I don't know much about pitching, I just sit on my bucket and catch for my DD :) )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55