Illegal pitch and TV commentators

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

martianr

Softball DAD
Jan 26, 2014
Whiting, Iowa
Well welcome to the new WWE. The softball version. Where the winners is slready predetermined. First the NBA and some NFL games now FASTPITCH SOFTBALL. Time to watch CURLING.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
You must have missed the NCAA Women's World Series when they called them. It was horrible to watch and was not good for the sport.

I remember it well and MTR's recounting is precisely as I recall it. I don't remember if it was mentioned at the time or not, but the thing that really bothered me is that it wasn't called all season, but they called it on anything close in the WCWS. The result was terrible to watch. as if they had just made up a secret rule and you never knew when it would come into play next.
I remember Arizona's pitcher being particularly hamstrung by this turn of events in the post season.
Umpire question- I remember another pitcher being called for repeatedly stepping out of the pitching lane (which I don't recall being striped before this WCWS). Now Carlson's proponents (Auburn) and family members are saying as long as the foot is at least partially in contact with the line it's still legal. is it like the batters box where as long as your foot isn't completely outside the line, you're ok?

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
You must have missed the NCAA Women's World Series when they called them. It was horrible to watch and was not good for the sport.

It was only horrible to watch because of the timing.
It wouldn't have been an issue if they had called IPs during the regular season.

What is truly not good for the sport is to constantly have willful subversion of the rules by the umpires, AD's, coaches, or whomever is truly responsible.

Mar 31, 2014
Watching Auburn play the other night I thought their pitcher was coming way out of the pitching lane and they never called IP. If they aren't going to call IP then why draw the extra lines?

Mar 31, 2014
On another note with regard to the announcers for softball. It seems to me that every former player spends most of the time just trying to exhibit their softball knowledge and they never just let the game just happen and give a good description of the play. I don't need the over analyzing of every aspect of the game.

Mar 31, 2014
I remember it well and MTR's recounting is precisely as I recall it. I don't remember if it was mentioned at the time or not, but the thing that really bothered me is that it wasn't called all season, but they called it on anything close in the WCWS. The result was terrible to watch. as if they had just made up a secret rule and you never knew when it would come into play next.
I remember Arizona's pitcher being particularly hamstrung by this turn of events in the post season.
Umpire question- I remember another pitcher being called for repeatedly stepping out of the pitching lane (which I don't recall being striped before this WCWS). Now Carlson's proponents (Auburn) and family members are saying as long as the foot is at least partially in contact with the line it's still legal. is it like the batters box where as long as your foot isn't completely outside the line, you're ok?
There is no way her foot is even touching the line most of the time.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
There is no way her foot is even touching the line most of the time.
that's what I thought, but for it to be so blatant but never called, made me think I didn't understand the rule or that the camera angle was making it look worse than it was. that line is gone after she's pitched an inning anyway, so after the first inning the ump can say they didn't see it.

martianr

Softball DAD
Jan 26, 2014
Whiting, Iowa
Still no reply from anyone. I cannot even watch Florida anymore. I get so frustrated with...take your pick. I would like this thread and the Barnhill thread going.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles