If the leap is allowed.....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 25, 2018
So why did they have pitch counts for the pitcher but leave The Catcher in the whole game?
What about the catchers arm?

What about squat counts?
How many squats should a catcher be able to accumulate per game without rest days?

How much running should people in track be allowed to do without rest days?

How many tackles should football players be allowed to tackle each other without rest days?
If a tight end gets tackled 10 times they need to stop playing in the game? Or they're allowed 10 times to be tackled in the entire game or only 15 times during the week what?
All valid questions.

In some states football has been modified at least when contact practicing can begin. Some states do limit how many running events an athlete can participate in during a meet. Some states do limit how much weight wrestlers can drop and I believe all 50 states have adopted pitch count rules for high school baseball.
Progress is often incremental.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Gotta institute a pitch count protocol before any types of metrics can be used to assess its value or lack thereof....
Reminds me of "We need to pass the bill to see what's in the bill". Like face mask mandates proposed years ago it is a solution in search of a problem. Just a few years ago face mask mandates were a fad that today we know was not necessary. You do not turn a game upside down based on good intentions and speculation.

The problem with pitch counts is that a single pitch with really poor mechanics is one pitch too many. Very few fastpitch coaches have even a basic understanding of the mechanics required to properly develop a pitcher. Pitch counts will force players into the circle that are poorly prepared for the task. You can get away with this in baseball because all baseball players can throw overhand. It does not work that way in fastpitch. In baseball you would never dream of putting a boy on the mound who did not have at least basic overhand throwing skills. But in fastpitch it is quite common to put a girl in the circle that does not have basic underhand throwing skills. That is why any legitimate pitching coach spends hours working with a student to master underhand throwing BEFORE moving on to pitching. So the main outcome of pitch counts would be to place unprepared girls into the circle leading to more injuries. But like face mask mandates, pitch counts would provide the desired warm, fuzzy feeling.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Hmmmm
So if throwing underhand was going to be limited by pitch counts. Maybe that means teams shouldn't let pitchers play other positions that throw overhand. That would accumulate many extra throws.

Quite possibly they don't count all the overhand throws in baseball only the ones on the mound.

How do they know overhand pitching injuries only come from pitching? Just saying thinking it through a bit...

The throwing arm injuries that I know about come from Bad throwing mechanics. Overhand or underhand.

Reflecting back I caught game after game after game lots and lots of overhand throws and never had a throwing arm injury.
I do use good throwing mechanics that may be part of it😎
Used to watch my nephew play baseball. He was a pitcher and when he ran out of pitches he would trade places with his catcher. :)

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Reminds me of "We need to pass the bill to see what's in the bill". Like face mask mandates proposed years ago it is a solution in search of a problem. Just a few years ago face mask mandates were a fad that today we know was not necessary. You do not turn a game upside down based on good intentions and speculation.

The problem with pitch counts is that a single pitch with really poor mechanics is one pitch too many. Very few fastpitch coaches have even a basic understanding of the mechanics required to properly develop a pitcher. Pitch counts will force players into the circle that are poorly prepared for the task. You can get away with this in baseball because all baseball players can throw overhand. It does not work that way in fastpitch. In baseball you would never dream of putting a boy on the mound who did not have at least basic overhand throwing skills. But in fastpitch it is quite common to put a girl in the circle that does not have basic underhand throwing skills. That is why any legitimate pitching coach spends hours working with a student to master underhand throwing BEFORE moving on to pitching. So the main outcome of pitch counts would be to place unprepared girls into the circle leading to more injuries. But like face mask mandates, pitch counts would provide the desired warm, fuzzy feeling.
I hit the like button on that post want to add was a really good read @riseball.

I commented before on this topic of injuries.
Ones that I know of came from Bad mechanics and yep sometimes it's just one bad throw.

There is an organization that had implemented early on this really really long throwing routine to practices. I've watched it and said oh no ouch....bad mechanics.
And sure enough lots of players come from doing that with arm and shoulder injuries. it's not because they played softball repetitively repetitively repetitively for years it's because they did that practice 6 times in a month and that ruined it for them. Hurt their body to the point where they had to do physical therapy and repair/ recuperate.
After stopping the silliness, and leaving that org forcing bad mechanics throwing, they did not encounter throwing issues again,
*** by utilizing good mechanics.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018

So, your conclusions about not having a pitch count are valid without having a pitch count. Ok.

Feb 25, 2018

Your assumption is that x percentage of girls that are pitching well right now have been taught to throw well underhand. What if that isn't true?

Baseball is doing fine with a pitch count; a pitch count for softball could (I wrote could) help reduce injuries and could help get more girls into pitching.

Nothing I could write to convince most folks that are vehemently opposed to it, nothing you could write to convince me it's a bad idea.
Onwards.

Good coaches develop the pitchers they come in contact with as if there is a pitch count. "How are you feeling?" is a lazy metric.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
If you limited Alexander’s pitch count, no JMU in WCWS.

If everyone had pitch counts and had to rely on their #2's, I disagree.

JMU's #2 is pretty damn good and I would put her up against pretty much every #2 any of their opponents could roll out. They absolutely expect her to step up and take them back to the WCWS this year as a sophomore.

May 17, 2012
Your assumption is that x percentage of girls that are pitching well right now have been taught to throw well underhand. What if that isn't true?

Baseball is doing fine with a pitch count; a pitch count for softball could (I wrote could) help reduce injuries and could help get more girls into pitching.

Nothing I could write to convince most folks that are vehemently opposed to it, nothing you could write to convince me it's a bad idea.
Onwards.

Good coaches develop the pitchers they come in contact with as if there is a pitch count. "How are you feeling?" is a lazy metric.

Pitching in softball is binary. You either can throw strikes or you can't. In baseball it's a little more gray because I am pretty sure my RF can throw strikes overhand if needed in a pinch.

You want to see pitch counts in softball go visit your local rec league. Mine for example limits the number of innings each pitcher can throw in a game. There are always a couple of flamethrowers that can strike everyone out and this is considered unfair. Problem is there isn't enough girls that can throw underhand so the walk fest ensues. Pitchers don't get better and the batters aren't getting better either by walking.

Oct 14, 2019
If everyone had pitch counts and had to rely on their #2's, I disagree.

JMU's #2 is pretty damn good and I would put her up against pretty much every #2 any of their opponents could roll out. They absolutely expect her to step up and take them back to the WCWS this year as a sophomore.
except bama has a 1-5. guess it depends on your pitch counts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13