I/R VS Hello Elbow

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 25, 2014
My 9 yr old DD has been taking lessons for about 6 months. She is a small girl (4ft tall without a lot of mass) he has pitched in about pitched in 7 games, throwing more strikes than balls but giving up a lot of hits (I understand thats not bad) heres the problem....I am completely happy with her PC but I keep reading everyone (or it seems) say that I/R is the way to go and that "hello elbow" is garbage (my translation) can anyone help me be at peace with her HE PC or should I stop immediately and find an I/R PC ?

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Ryan...

You can take the words of others on here as the gospel truth... and use us as a community that supports your interest in converting from HE instruction to IR. BUT... the greatest service you could provide your daughter is to study it and learn it yourself. I know you labeled HE as garbage... but you obviously still have doubts regarding the two styles... hence the post. Not criticizing you... just an observation.

Read and apply BM's IR threads. Watch the video clips included... and put your own mind at ease. Once you digest this stuff, it's pretty obvious the path you will choose. As a PC, I already know your next challenge... and that is finding a PC that teaches IR. This can be a daunting task... depending on where you live... so your ability to learn how may become a necessity.

Every great pitcher has a great bucket parent. BM took the time to lay out the IR instruction... which is the best place to start with your dd... while you look for a PC that can take her to the next stage in her pitching development.

Wish you the best... and don't hesitate to ask for help along the way... the DFP faithful are all rockstars in my book!

Apr 25, 2014
I didn't think that HE was garbage when she started (And don't necessary think it is, but with reading the posts Im starting to believe it) I didn't even know there were 2 different methods until I started seeing other girls throwing differently, then I started looking around. I don't think I will have a hard time finding a new PC since I've seen other girls using that method. I'm guessing the "off season" (if there really is one LOL) is the best time to switch

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
You are off to a good start by looking for help at DFP. And you couldn't ask for a better resource than Java for advice. At 9 years old, you have plenty of time to work things out. My daughter started her journey at 10 by working with an HE coach. After a while it became extremely frustrating for her because she struggled to "point her elbow". She would throw a pitch that I considered very good, and the PC would be barking "point that elbow!" Eventually I found DFP and realized that the reason she was struggling so much is that she was utilizing I/R by accident. It is just how she threw the ball. Not perfect mechanics, obviously, but still I/R. We eventually found an I/R coach and she loves it. Good luck to you and your daughter!

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
along the lines of making up your mind, I encourage you to look at slo motion video of the best pitchers in the world and decide if it looks like they are doing what your PC is instructing or what is layed out in the I/R stickys.

May 17, 2012
I didn't think that HE was garbage when she started (And don't necessary think it is, but with reading the posts Im starting to believe it) I didn't even know there were 2 different methods until I started seeing other girls throwing differently, then I started looking around. I don't think I will have a hard time finding a new PC since I've seen other girls using that method. I'm guessing the "off season" (if there really is one LOL) is the best time to switch

No need to wait for the off season. Make the change now. She will pitch better/faster/safer. She will adapt quicker than you think.

Once you sort it all out and watch what high level pitchers do the lightbulb will come on.

May 17, 2012
A lot of instructors teach the right stuff. They just don't use the term IR. No. Do not step in just because no one uses the term IR. Non pitchers should not be teaching pitching, just like in any other sport skill where people understand their limitations in teaching things they have never done.

Like Jennie Finch?

I see plenty of ex pitchers getting it wrong too.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Raise your hand if you're not a PC... and taught your DD I/R ... and agree that the information in the I/R sticky's are above and beyond the instruction MANY PC's peddle... and if you used BM's threads as an INCREDIBLY HELPFUL teaching aid that yielded INCREDIBLE results.

I can think of at least 100 bucket parents that have done so... off the top of my head... and NONE of them have ever thrown a pitch their entire life.... and if they have... never at a level that would label them as a 'pitcher'. The information on these boards are more than sufficient to get a kid started in the right direction... WHILE you qualify and seek out top-tier instruction.

One more thing... I added 16 clinic students this year from DFP - and ALL of them used BM's I/R teachings as a baseline at home... and the quality of these beginners was so far above and beyond the normal... it's absurd.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
Let's start with the very basics:

1. Never, under any circumstances, listen to a word OILF writes.

2. You are now ready to begin.

Jul 14, 2008
INternal Rotation.........I/R........Coupled with ADDuction........Are simply the bio-mechanical terms used to describe the proper way to throw a softball underhand.........

It's OK to use the term "I/R" to describe the proper fastpitch motion........It's also quite correct to think that the majority of pitching coaches who teach the proper method of throwing the ball don't refer to that motion as "I/R"...........Even though that's exactly what it is.........

The same can be said that PC's who teach improper mechanics may never have heard the term "hello elbow"........

One is right......One is wrong..........Choose the "right" path by figuring out whether any prospective PC teaches I/R of HE........

You don't have to say "show me your I/R" method.........You simply have to say "show me what you teach", and/or "show me an example of you performing the methods you subscribe to"........And apply what you know about I/R vs. HE to make an informed choice...........

And most importantly..........Follow WaSpeeds advice.........OILF (screwball) has never pitched. Has never taught the craft. Is not a PC.........And is really only here to play "devils advocate" about something that is totally foreign to her........

I think she might be a HS coach.......Or a Rec Ball coach.........Sometimes you can't tell.........And she may be a good one for all I know........But she's definitely an advocate for female athletes.......And from what I gathter......Hates men in general........That's my take anyway........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan