When to change from Hello Elbow to IR

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Once you decide to switch, commit 100% and don't look back. Resist the temptation to revert back to HE to "throw strikes". The fastest and best way to convert to IR is to avoid pitching in game or high pressure situations until you have the IR basics down.

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
Since she is a 1st year 10U Rec player, she shouldn't worry much about results just yet. It will take her a bit of time to get the hang of IR but it's worth the effort.

Introduce it a step at a time and try and keep your learning curve a step ahead of hers.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Keep in mind that conversion to IR starts with learning to properly throw underhand. Once mastered she is ready to learn to pitch. If this means she does not pitch for a while, do not worry. At 10U I doubt the college coaches following her will care. Learning to throw underhand and then pitch with IR is quick and simple. However, if you overthink it and lose focus it can take much longer.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Keep in mind that conversion to IR starts with learning to properly throw underhand. Once mastered she is ready to learn to pitch. If this means she does not pitch for a while, do not worry. At 10U I doubt the college coaches following her will care. Learning to throw underhand and then pitch with IR is quick and simple. However, if you overthink it and lose focus it can take much longer.

Good advice. And it really won't take very long if you follow the steps layed out in the IR sticky links on this site. IF YOU UNDERSTAND IT then just do it.

Jun 12, 2015
We've got a pitcher on our 10U team who's been in and out of HE instruction. She's primarily been a space filler. She can throw strikes but she's slow and has pretty poor mechanics. She recently switched to my DD's instructor, who teaches IR. Had our first game situation (scrimmages) last weekend. Our top 2 were hurt and couldn't pitch so she had to pitch a lot more than she's used to. She did great, and she only just made the switch. You may find that the improvement is pretty darn fast, and it doesn't mess her up at all.

Feb 17, 2014
Do you need another person to tell you ASAP?

Don't be afraid to make the switch. She has a lot of pitching life to go. Make the switch now and in about 6 months you'll be glad you did.

Feb 15, 2017
I am in the same situation....would love to make the switch but no I/R PCs even close to me to my knowledge. DFP forums are awesome but too nervous to try the DIY option. I guess keep thinking one will popup close. DD is 1st year 10u but been pitching for 3 years and IMO is one of the top 10u pitchers around us. Maybe I will be brave at the end of July and go for it...

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
Hey, coach bubbles, what are the odds that folks like Pauly and Hillhouse and all the rest started out as DIYers? Like anything else, IR is a learning process and the best way to learn and teach is to do it yourself. There is plenty of help here but watching a few lessons live will also be valuable. You CAN do it. :)

Feb 15, 2017
Cvsoftball - that sounds like you are calling me out and giving me a push at the same time . I guess as I get older I become less of a risk taker- but I am sure you are exactly right! I think its to the point that its not "if" but when. In her spare time DD gets on YT and watches PGF 10U national finals games. She is obsessed with being the best and when she asked (after several rewinds and slow mo's) "Dad, how come all these pitchers throw different than I do?" I thought "I know but don't have the heart to tell you" so instead my answer was something like "well...you know...different pitching coaches do it different ways". DOH! There was my opening

Dec 16, 2010
...DD is 1st year 10u but been pitching for 3 years and IMO is one of the top 10u pitchers around us....

Have you videoed her (from the 3rd base side for a RH)? If she's one of the top (fastest?) pitchers around, chances are she's already doing IR.

I think it's pretty established that lots of pitchers use IR without knowing it because their trial/error experience shows it works even if they're taught otherwise.

If she's already doing IR, I don't see a lot of downside in teaching her the fundamentals that maximize IR control/effectiveness.

If you're not confident you can tell (if she's using IR despite what she's taught), on your own, there are dozens of folks here who can help you if you post a video.

I was where you are a few years ago and don't regret starting my youngest dd early on IR.

Good luck to both you and OP.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi