I love this at bat!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Fortunate that I had this one on tape from a few years back. Though the at bat eventually results in an out what a great battle. I love the way she uses both sides of the field based on pitch location. Power to opposite on low pitches for sure. She really committed to inside out on those pitches. One of my favorite college swings.

R

RayR

I remember this at bat....I agree Morgan did an outstanding job!!

Think about the approach to fight off those pitches....how long she had to stay on those pitches with her eyes!! She looked like she was trying to line a single to score a run...and she still advanced the runner....great find!!

R

RayR

Did some video work....

Was Morgan picking up location based on the pitcher's motion? Seems so to me....

Morganapproach.jpg

Morganinside.gif
morganoutside.gif

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Thanks, that is neat. She had to be base on her hitting stride.

For the 2 vidieos you posted I would guess she was watching the P's head.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2011
Nothing I respect more in a batter that can "go with the pitch". It's magic.

Likewise nothing is more frustrating than an outside fastball that a batter tries to cast the head of the bat around on for a weak ground ball.

R

RayR

How much attention is paid to developing the skill of dialing in to the release point and having a peripheral awareness of motion?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I wonder if it was more a matter of this P’s screwball coming inside and her CB going outside. Seeing an inside CB in this at bat would have been interesting.

The batter knew what she was doing for this pitcher.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
How much attention is paid to developing the skill of dialing in to the release point and having a peripheral awareness of motion?

I am already working on drills that enforce better "vision" of the ball. We are already discussing Red light ... Green light. A drill where we teach the girls to watch as the pitcher gets ready to pitch (Red Light)....then focus keenly on the release point once the pitcher hits a certain moment in her pitch motion in order to not be distracted (Green Light).... Hope this helps them..Seems to be so far.
Great Vid

Oct 14, 2008
Look at her finish. Totally relaxed, hands come long thru zone, high one hand finish. Great battle. That at bat alone would have been worth the price of admission to watch.

Tim

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA