How would you know if someone was teaching I/R or HE?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2021
If a girl was beginning pitching lessons, didn’t know anything about the mechanics. How would you know starting out if they were teaching I/R vs HE when they were in the very beginning stages. If when you ask they say I have never heard of those terms.

Aug 21, 2008
If a girl was beginning pitching lessons, didn’t know anything about the mechanics. How would you know starting out if they were teaching I/R vs HE when they were in the very beginning stages. If when you ask they say I have never heard of those terms.
That's an excellent question. There's a few things that can help identify H/E. Although, I maybe worried about a coach who isn't constantly wanting to learn and doesn't know these terminologies. Starting with wrist flips is an indicator, but I know there's others who believe in those outside of H/E pitchers. Take a look at where they want the ball pointed at the 3:00 position. If the hand is on top of the ball pushing down, you have a H/E coach. If the want the pitching hand up touching the pitching shoulder at the finish, you have a H/E coach. There's lots of other signs too but those are a couple of the majors.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Unfortunately most instructors out there are HE. Here is a video from one. If this is what your daughter is being taught look for someone else. It was posted in 2020. You have to go to YouTube to watch it.

May 13, 2021
You don’t have this problem with boys. For people with young girls that have never been involved with softball this stuff is enough to make you tell her to forget about her pitching and just concentrate on hitting the ball really hard and really far.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Another common HE teaching is to "slam the door" (bring the body around so you're facing the plate when you're finished).

Then there is face the ball back toward second base at top of the circle.

These are on top of the ones already mentioned.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
Regardless of finding a good IR pitching coach, I would strongly suggest just playing catch while throwing underhand. You would never take a boy to pitching lessons if they could not play catch but we do this to girls.
You don’t have this problem with boys. For people with young girls that have never been involved with softball this stuff is enough to make you tell her to forget about her pitching and just concentrate on hitting the ball really hard and really far.

May 10, 2021
I would just ask the PC. Many start with the base, leg drive, balance, first quarter stuff and postpone whip, velocity etc.. until the players bottom half is solid. That's my experience FWIW.

Master mechanic engines throw fire...

May 13, 2021
I agree with the playing catch thing, I also would not start pitching lessons until she could stand out in the yard and play catch over hand and under hand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321