how would you handle this?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
This would be a red flag to me, and it sounds like the coach is using the tardiness to justify his position. We ask our parents to notify us (a text is good enough) when they are going to be late. Things happen. If someone is consistently late, we speak with the parents about it. None of our girls drive yet...

Oct 25, 2009
Spoke to the coach after the game and he told me dd didn't pitch because we were late to warm ups even though we arrived there a good 45 minutes before start of game time. I could be mistaken but sounds like horse crap to me.

If you communicate with the coach about what time you will be there you can solve that problem. If he approves you're good. If not you know whether to waste a trip.

Of course the guest players had nothing to do with your being late.

Work harder, earn perks (such as being unavoidably late). Even better, find a team that needs a guest player.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
With the exception of ASA qualifiers and possibly some of the various State Tournaments and World Series, rosters are pretty much wide open. The vast majority of tournaments held each weekend have nothing at stake except bragging rights. Putting on tournaments is a business, a big business in some locations. When it comes down to telling one or more teams they cannot play and losing the $400+ entry fee, you better believe that team will play.

As to having a player participate in a tournament as part of they tryout process, that is the way it is done in the real world. I want to see the dynamic first hand between the new player and my team. That does not happen during a practice. Unless the player is a known quantity I usually go several practices and a couple tournaments before extending an offer.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Kid was late. Kid gets benched. Blame the coach so the kid learns punctuality. Great tactic.

-W

The alternative lesson to teach his DD would have been to call in sick to work so he can have her on time to please the coach. Remember that he was working to provide for his family, the #1 priority of a father, not on a doughnut run to Krispy Kreme.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Who besides ASA and PGF holds anything resembling a legitimate qualifier? Something where simply showing up and writing a check does not get you "qualified".

Jul 19, 2012
Move on.

I've been at this for years and either:

a) coach does not feel your daughter can compete
or
b) coach is a jerk and always wants the pitcher he doesn't have currently.

Either way, it's time to move on because it is difficult to have a relationship with that coach from here on.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors