How would you handle this with you DD's Personal Instructor?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
OMG Amy, I should move cross country for your rates!

I have to agree. Amy's rates can not be beat. Around us it is $40 or $50 per half hour depending on who you go to. DD's had a coach who was $0 per half hour and she did occasionally get a text she would deal with durring lessons but that was the execption rather than the rule and if her prior lesson went over by a few minutes and DD started late because of it, DD always got to say a few extra minutes at the end to make it up. Generally the only time a pror lesson would go over if prior lesson was working on a new pitch that she was "close" to getting and PC didn't want to leave off half way.

But to the OP I agree with Amy, text her durring lessons something like - Hey my DD is paying a fortune for lessons and her PC is on the smart phone texting. What should we do?

Oh and then find a new PC.

Feb 3, 2011
As a coach I pop in on everyone's lessons from my team in an effort to:
- Get to know the instructors
- Show support for the players development
- Hopefully learn something so as not to stay in a box of my own understanding
- And also have a better understanding of what my players are learning
(Especially in hitting where we have different schools of thought like Linear vs. Rotational)

I try to treat my DD the same. I go occasionally to lessons and not every week. However in that past few weeks after the holidays I decided to go each of the last 3-4 weeks and what I have seen really concerns me.

I love the teacher's way in which she teaches ...When she teaches....We pay $40 for 30 minutes of time. Yet the PC spends anywhere from 5-10 minutes texting and checking messages on her phone during the lessons. Sometimes she stops to do it and other times she is merely tossing balls not focusing on the player while reading. I have others on our team who go to her and share the same common complaint.

Example of another Dad's frustration: Last night he asked the PC if she was going to extend next week's lesson by 10 minutes? The PC had a blank look on her face. She asked if he wanted her to keep working w/ his DD a while longer to which he responded, "Yes". His comment was aimed at the late start of his DD's lesson due to the use of the phone. (His DD was supposed to start at 6:30 and did not start until 6:40 b/c of the texting and talking between lessons.) In the 3-4 weeks I have come it is a common practice that we also start 3-5 minutes late on average and stop right on time. Always due to texting, talking and other issues. I would not mind if when we started late so long as we still got 30 minutes and during those 30 minutes she gave my player her full attention.

So how would you address this?
Am I off base for thinking I am paying for 30 minutes of focused attention?
Should I even say anything at all and if I do how do you start the conversation
without coming across as an aggressive jerk?

Really Fit to be Ties on this one...:mad:
Not sure how to handle this as I do not want to be a jerk but feel it needs to be addressed.
How long has DD been seeing her? Does she like her instructor? Have you been pleased with the results? Are there other quality instructors available in your area?

I think you should attend the lessons more regularly if possible and not be afraid to ask questions. If your attendance doesn't bring an immediate improvement in her level of focus, and if your DD wants to stay with this PC, then you'll need to confront her directly with your concerns. Tell her what you've observed and let her know that it's unsatisfactory. Clearly state your expectations. She doesn't need to apologize, but she does need to correct her behavior if she would like your business relationship to continue. This could be the kick in the tush she needs.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Thanks everyone!
I will find a way to say something. We do not have too many good PC's within a close range making her convenient.
However this to me is still not acceptable so thanks for the validation. No matter what, I do like her as she is knowledgeable and when she is focused the lessons are good. I usually do not go as my DD tends to focus on pleasing me or wondering what I am thinking about her performance rather than focusing on the lesson. I started coming b/c I went to one lesson early and noticed this and it bothered me. We started new with her about 12 weeks ago. When I asked my wife about it she confirmed it was a consistent habit. She is not young. She is old enough to know better and I hope she takes my concern seriously.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Of course, I might text - if i knew how. j/k I am getting an iphone on Sunday. Watch out. I will need all of your numbers.

Your posts will start looking like mine! Lots of mispelled words, double posts, and tons of editting from bumping the the post botton on the iphone with a pinkie finger.

Crush, does your dd go to lessons year round? Most of the girls I know go to 4-6 lessons in the fall and another 4-6 weeks around January.

Last edited:

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Your posts will start looking like mine! Lots of mispelled words, double posts, and tons of editting from bumping the the post botton on the iphone with a pinkie finger.

Crush, does your dd go to lessons year round? Most of the girls I know go to 4-6 lessons in the fall and another 4-6 weeks around January.

Right now as painful as it is on the wallet yes year round.
She is 9 and we want her to work proper basic swing mechanics a lot in these two years.
We have seen it really pay off later and people then go down to every other week. That is our strategy for now....hmmm
open ears on this one....:p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd