How to use the wrists

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 4, 2008
My DD seems to push her hands through the zone and not release her wrists until extension. This leads to her having what I would call bat lag or pulling the bat along the ball rather than hitting through the ball. She hits quite a few weak balls to the right side of the field due to her hands being ahead of the barrel at contact. I was going to have her hit a padded pole to work on snaping her wrists but that seems to be an unpopular decision.

How can I help her learn to release her wrists at the proper time?

Thank you

Gary

May 31, 2009
Try the Ultimate Hitting Machine. You step on the foot pad to pop the ball up. When ball comes down to waist level, swing away. Machine can be adjusted to toss the ball to different heights, so a person will have time to load and swing properly.

-

R

RayR

My DD seems to push her hands through the zone and not release her wrists until extension. This leads to her having what I would call bat lag or pulling the bat along the ball rather than hitting through the ball. She hits quite a few weak balls to the right side of the field due to her hands being ahead of the barrel at contact. I was going to have her hit a padded pole to work on snaping her wrists but that seems to be an unpopular decision.

How can I help her learn to release her wrists at the proper time?

Thank you

Gary

Gary,

There is no quick fix. Sounds like your daughter doesn't rotate the torso to move the bat - and is an arm swinger. No gadget is going to change that approach.

Here is a simple drill I use for my players to get them used to moving the bat by turning the torso. They have to keep the bat against the rear shoulder as long as possible and turn into the pitch. Sounds simple, huh?

But, this will help get the barrel around on time (which is the goal)

mhafter.gif

Jul 4, 2008
Thank you all for the advice.

I must not be describing the problem correctly. Perhaps it is more of a timing issue. On the last Right view pro analysis we had done the problem does not occur at all. It only seems to manifest itself during game situations and hitting off of live pitchers during BP. It is not evident at all when she is doing her tee drills.

She is able to make the adjustment in practice and correct her swing but in games she tends to put the first swing into play with a blooper to the right side.

MTS thank you for the drill but I believe if anything she is opening her torso to early and leaving the barrel behind.

I am really trying to get her bat parallel to her arm at contact.

Thanks again for all your help.

R

RayR

Thank you all for the advice.

MTS thank you for the drill but I believe if anything she is opening her torso to early and leaving the barrel behind.
I am really trying to get her bat parallel to her arm at contact.

Thanks again for all your help.

What part of this drill would not help with the problem you are describing?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I just came from a very good clinic that used Right View Pro. They talked about bat angle, keeping pressure between your knees, using the hips to turn the body - and even getting off of the back leg a smidge.

They really stressed learning to skip a stone and then learning to throw a ball that way. And then, using the bat in the same way. We practiced learning to throw side arm.

Have you seen them use the "dog tennis ball chucker" and the other item that they sell, that is flat like a spatula?

I have written down the rest of the drills, but I haven't reviewed them and worked on them, yet.

May 12, 2008
Do the RightView analysis on some game swings you think you see the problem in.

Hate that rock skipping cue. Liable to encourage bat drag imo.

Find a chain link fence no one cares if you whack on. Use an old bat. Put the side of your lead foot up against the fence. Turn into it as if you were turning into a pitch. She won't push her hands forward.

Almost parallel is good. Leaves a little room for adjusting to the off speed.

MTS's drill, well done with an understanding of the goal in mind, can be useful for this problem although the hitter pictured needs to get her shoulder, elbow etc up in the swing plane better.

What you describe is really just a push connection problem causing a delay in whip/wrist uncocking if I understand your description.

See Englishbey's stuff for extensive ways to help with this sort of problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish