How to tell coach my dd isnt a robot?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 1, 2021
My DDs pitching coach has told us to keep her pitching until either velocity goes down, form changes, or any discomfort. He said he has some girls who can pitch twice as many pitches in a day than other pitchers. Just depends on figuring out each ones limitations. Not sure how accurate that is, but kind of what we’ve been going off.

I'm sure a college coach is going to find the limit of all the players eventually. It's just part of the process.

May 23, 2018
How do I tell my dds middle school coach that my dd is throwing too many pitches. My dd had to pitch a tournament about a week ago. She pitched 3 complete games. 2 back to back then a hr break then play again. No one kept a pitch count for her until after the tournament was over. Then they counted the using then score book. Turns out my dd threw way too many pitches. I knew she was throwing alot of pitches but had no clue it was this many. The coach said she pitched 311 pitches. Not including warm up before game or between innings. When I found out my dd pitched that much I got mad. That's way too many pitches. My dd just turned 13 last week. First year of middle school ball. She's in 7th grade. She's the only real pitcher the team has. The other ones can't get the ball to the plate. My dd tells me not to worry about it and she will be fine and for me to not talk to the coach about it. I don't want her throwing like this in the next tournament. From now on I'm bringing my own pitch counter. How do I tell the coach my dd isn't a robot that can throw over 300 pitches? I'm really mad about this.

That’s a lot, but windmill pitching isn’t the same as overhand - it’s much easier on the shoulder girdle. That’s why it’s rare for a girl to need Tommy John surgery or a rotator cuff surgery. Having said that, 300 pitches Pitches a day isn’t a lot - if you’re a D1 or D2 player. I’m A bit confused – does your coach know that she plays travel ball? I don’t put that on the middle school coach at all.
I think you’re blaming the wrong person. How effective can your daughter really be pitching three consecutive games? The travel coach should know better Than to leave your daughter in for three games. Also, the math doesn’t make much sense. 311 Pitches assumes that every game went the full seven innings, that comes to approximately 15 pitches an inning.

I wouldn’t be so quick to blame the middle school coach who has absolutely no idea how many innings your daughter had pitched over the weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 23, 2018
Injuries are interesting things because sometimes we think the injury comes to the part of the body that we are using the most and forget about the part of the body that's not trained the best that can take the brunt of the effect of overuse.

Moderation + Balanced Training = Good Recipe.

RAD, you’re right. Most of the back and hip injuries come from the least developed aspect. As far as windmill pitching goes, your biggest concern is arm fatigue and leg weakness from overuse.

May 23, 2018
My dd plays for 1 travel team which is out of season right now. On the travel team we have 3 pitchers. For pool play we have each girl pitch 1 game each. With that being said a girl may come in relief of another if needed. The most my dd has thrown in 1 weekend friday thru Sunday is about 280. That's for 3 days time. For travel ball my dd throws a max of 110 pitches per game. Usually she can pitch a game in about 85ish pitches. Sometimes less sometimes more.
As far as discomfort goes. She had some discomfort in the last inning of her 1st game. I tired to get her to use ice between games but she said no. Her pain was in the shoulder. She said she didn't feel pain but almost a numb tingling feeling. I checked on her periodically. Making sure she was staying hydrated and all. She told me each time she was fine. We talked her into taking a bag of ice with her on the hour and 15 min ride back to town. She said she iced it. She had a Sunday and Monday to rest pitching. Monday she had overhand throwing though. Tuesday she pitched 100 balls at practice after she was warmed up. Wednesday she pitched in a game. She pitched the whole 5 innings. We win in the bottom half of 5th. I ask my dd how her arm felt after the next morning and she said it was fine. The next day she pitched another complete 5 inning game losing by 1. The next morning she said she was fine. She wanted to talk more about her hitting and other things.

Am I being over protective? I mean 300 is a ton of pitches in a day. We have 2 more tournaments scheduled. October 2nd and I believe October 9th. Going into the season I knew she was going to be the main pitcher. I didn't know she was the only pitcher. I was told we had another pitcher but she wasn't quite game ready.

It is a ton of pitching. My advice is put the radar gun on her to start, and then put the radar gun on her in subsequent games
To see if there’s any reduction in speed

Aug 25, 2019
Why are you telling the Middle School coach?....You should be telling the travel coach why is she pitching every game in a tournament.

Aug 6, 2013
That’s a lot, but windmill pitching isn’t the same as overhand - it’s much easier on the shoulder girdle. That’s why it’s rare for a girl to need Tommy John surgery or a rotator cuff surgery. Having said that, 300 pitches Pitches a day isn’t a lot - if you’re a D1 or D2 player. I’m A bit confused – does your coach know that she plays travel ball? I don’t put that on the middle school coach at all.
I think you’re blaming the wrong person. How effective can your daughter really be pitching three consecutive games? The travel coach should know better Than to leave your daughter in for three games. Also, the math doesn’t make much sense. 311 Pitches assumes that every game went the full seven innings, that comes to approximately 15 pitches an inning.

I wouldn’t be so quick to blame the middle school coach who has absolutely no idea how many innings your daughter had pitched over the weekend.

This was a middle school ball tournament - OP already said they are not allowed to play travel ball while school is in session in their area.

Jul 31, 2015
That’s a lot, but windmill pitching isn’t the same as overhand - it’s much easier on the shoulder girdle. That’s why it’s rare for a girl to need Tommy John surgery or a rotator cuff surgery.

Underhand pitching follows the natural elbow hinge, overhand pitching works against it.

Aug 25, 2019
This was a middle school ball tournament - OP already said they are not allowed to play travel ball while school is in session in their area.
Well things are different around the country. In these parts, NY, schools don’t play tournaments, it’s all one game at a time.

Jul 5, 2016
My DDs pitching coach has told us to keep her pitching until either velocity goes down, form changes, or any discomfort. He said he has some girls who can pitch twice as many pitches in a day than other pitchers. Just depends on figuring out each ones limitations. Not sure how accurate that is, but kind of what we’ve been going off.

I remember watching Alexa Osorio (Alabama) pitch two games back to back. At the start of the 2nd game, she looked tired, but she soldiered on.

But the problem with this is that when a pitcher pushes this hard, the chances of an injury increase - any part of the body as Radcatcher noted. So, the best coaches won't push to this limit if they can help it.

In my experience as the parent of a pitcher, the teams I liked best were those where my DD was tied with another player for best pitcher thus reducing the chances of overuse.

Jul 27, 2021

Underhand pitching follows the natural elbow hinge, overhand pitching works against it.

This such old school thinking and unsupported rumor.

A quick search of softball pitching injury and looking in The American Journal of Sports Medicine will give you plenty of evidence that softball pitchers suffer from injuries (biceps problems, tendonitis, rotator cuff and tendon strain, ulnar nerve and more) coming from overuse and fatigue.

Little League Baseball and USA Baseball now have the pitch limits and required rest periods that are VERY restrictive. 311 game pitches in a day would be the max of 4 baseball pitchers of that age. And they would all have 4 days of rest.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00