How to tell coach my dd isnt a robot?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 7, 2020
How do I tell my dds middle school coach that my dd is throwing too many pitches. My dd had to pitch a tournament about a week ago. She pitched 3 complete games. 2 back to back then a hr break then play again. No one kept a pitch count for her until after the tournament was over. Then they counted the using then score book. Turns out my dd threw way too many pitches. I knew she was throwing alot of pitches but had no clue it was this many. The coach said she pitched 311 pitches. Not including warm up before game or between innings. When I found out my dd pitched that much I got mad. That's way too many pitches. My dd just turned 13 last week. First year of middle school ball. She's in 7th grade. She's the only real pitcher the team has. The other ones can't get the ball to the plate. My dd tells me not to worry about it and she will be fine and for me to not talk to the coach about it. I don't want her throwing like this in the next tournament. From now on I'm bringing my own pitch counter. How do I tell the coach my dd isn't a robot that can throw over 300 pitches? I'm really mad about this.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
How do I tell my dds middle school coach that my dd is throwing too many pitches. My dd had to pitch a tournament about a week ago. She pitched 3 complete games. 2 back to back then a hr break then play again. No one kept a pitch count for her until after the tournament was over. Then they counted the using then score book. Turns out my dd threw way too many pitches. I knew she was throwing alot of pitches but had no clue it was this many. The coach said she pitched 311 pitches. Not including warm up before game or between innings. When I found out my dd pitched that much I got mad. That's way too many pitches. My dd just turned 13 last week. First year of middle school ball. She's in 7th grade. She's the only real pitcher the team has. The other ones can't get the ball to the plate. My dd tells me not to worry about it and she will be fine and for me to not talk to the coach about it. I don't want her throwing like this in the next tournament. From now on I'm bringing my own pitch counter. How do I tell the coach my dd isn't a robot that can throw over 300 pitches? I'm really mad about this.
This is about middle school ball.
No details on coaches ability. Will stop there.

How many pitches per day or per 3 days is ok with you/parent?
And whats her sb history to date? Travel ball years? Just checking...
Because 100 pitches in itself a day is not overloaded but parents tend to set boundaries they hope are healthy ones.
As a side note, Most comming from watching bb and pitching changes constantly...
Find out sb generally does not switch out multiple pitchers per game.
2 would be maybe a norm when needed or for playing time.
To throw one pitcher the entire game is common.

80 ~ 100 pitches would be equal to a workout.
Some throw more.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021
Totally agree with Lance, that is a ridiculous amount for anyone never mind a 13 YO girl just getting going in a sport I am sure she loves. If you don't say something they will think that it's ok to do that whenever they want. If they're coaches they need to step up and do their part in developing the other pitchers to the point of being able to get some circle time. Good luck and I hope it gets worked out especially for your DD's sake!

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Consider playing games in a tournament. 1:30 time limit
Pool saturday
3 games
Sunday tourny
Can go 3 or 5 games to win.
How many pitchers will that take?

Even a 4 or 5 inning game could be 20 pitches per inning
Thats 80 to 100 pitches.

Common in this scenario Pitchers could be asked to throw 3 games a weekend.

*Not saying just deal with it...
However this is an example of thinking through expectations on majority of teams.
Can you limit how many games/innings she throws.
Absolutely!
Talk to the coach!

Last edited:
May 17, 2012
I don't want her throwing like this in the next tournament. From now on I'm bringing my own pitch counter. How do I tell the coach my dd isn't a robot that can throw over 300 pitches? I'm really mad about this.

Have you tried not going to the games?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD was shutdown by idiot HC for the last 1/2 of TB, his favorites pitched. Come MS, same pitchers, she pitched both games of opening DH. Lot of fun! Then the next game and the next game. She was in no way conditioned for this.

Her arm was going to fall off. HC did try to protector at practice by not having her throw too much but it was not enough. It got to point were I told her she needed to talk to coach or I would.

She talked to the coach the next day sort of got resolved. Not perfect but better for sure.

Oct 2, 2018
Georgia
Just don't let her pitch travel while MS ball is going on. I understand that the MS may not have another pitcher but I am sure the Travel team has them. Or if she is the primary pitcher for travel, speak to coach and have him/her schedule tournaments after the second week of October.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
The tough part is not knowing how efficient/conditioned your DD is at pitching. As well as her body type and where she is at in terms of her growth spurt(s). I'm not condoning a pitcher throwing 300+ pitches in a single day tournament. But, it can be done and the pitcher can come out okay. The problem is when it becomes a season long norm. Overuse injuries will become not if but when.

The other questions I have are....Does your DD take any strength/conditioning classes/courses? How recently did she go through a major growth spurt? How many more tournaments/multi-game days does your DD have in MS? How likely is this to happen again? Does your DD have good mechanics vs just relying on her arm? Did she have pain or soreness during or after the games? Did her arm/body get adequate rest after the tournament? How soon was she asked to throw again (over hand or under hand)? Did you know going into the MS season the team only had your DD as a pitcher?

All of these things come into play and need to be thought about before banging down the coaches door. I would think a calm conversation to voice your concerns is valid though. between your DD and the coach would be valid. If and when much of the above, or more, is considered.

Edit: Amended the last part based on a good callout by Quincy.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Missed the part of pitching for 2 Teams.

This was BB but I required a P to only pitch for 1 Team. They could choose us or them, no hard feelings either way. I saw to many young kids have arm surgery that I do not want to mess with it or try to negotiate with other coach.

We have 8 other positions that we can get you playing time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad