How to tell coach my dd isnt a robot?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 6, 2013
Did I miss something? The original thread stated that the player played both travel ball and middle school ball. Why would anyone be complaining to the poor middle school coach who has absolutely no idea what the player did in the previous weekend. I would be more upset With the Travel ball coach. In my mind, the team must be a horrible team to have only one pitcher. Better to be the small fish in a big pond then the big fish in the fountain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes you did - on page 3 OP said this:
Our state won't let us do travel ball and school ball at the same time. Travel ball is on hold til mid October.
This is only pertaining to middle school ball. He was only saying that for clarification that in travel his daughter doesn't pitch as much as she is being asked to pitch in MS.

May 23, 2018
@RIZZARIJOE I’m not sure if you missed anything. My answer was generally speaking, not necessarily directly applicable to the OP. The point was definitely not to complain to anyone, it was to communicate. And it shouldn’t only be with the TB coach, it needs to be with both!

Agreed. I don’t know how it is in your state, but in Massachusetts Middle school ball it’s nothing more than a glorified Rec league. I guess the question I’m getting at Is how many pitchers are on your DD’s travel team?
If There are multiple pitchers on your daughters travel team, why aren’t they being used? I’ll see girls pitch up to four games on a weekend without much negative affect - One Friday night during pool play, one Saturday game during pool play, and then two games on a Sunday. Well I normally see from behind the plate is girls literally losing a yard off their fastball

May 23, 2018
Yes you did - on page 3 OP said this:

This is only pertaining to middle school ball. He was only saying that for clarification that in travel his daughter doesn't pitch as much as she is being asked to pitch in MS.

Wow. How many games are they playing a week? I’m used to seeing maybe two games a week in middle school.Extrapolating in guessing, that would mean 311 pitches Would mean approximately four games a week.

Jan 8, 2019
Agreed. I don’t know how it is in your state, but in Massachusetts Middle school ball it’s nothing more than a glorified Rec league. I guess the question I’m getting at Is how many pitchers are on your DD’s travel team?
If There are multiple pitchers on your daughters travel team, why aren’t they being used? I’ll see girls pitch up to four games on a weekend without much negative affect - One Friday night during pool play, one Saturday game during pool play, and then two games on a Sunday. Well I normally see from behind the plate is girls literally losing a yard off their fastball

Rizz, my DD plays rec and JV HS. They usually do not coincide, except for last year because of COVID the CIF allowed players to do both at the same time. We have no MS ball here.

We generally use our multiple pitchers, or why would you have them? I do know of a pitcher who was pitching in two leagues, and there was no communication between the parties. She ended up having to sit about a week to recover (thankfully, no injuries) so both teams lost her For that week. Where if there had been even a little communication, that could have been avoided altogether.

Our teams are in a pretty good spot. Simply trying to make the point that good communication can save a lot of pain, literally.

Jul 27, 2021
Here is a fact. A Softball is 20% heavier than a baseball.

Overuse injuries Are easy to come by in youth sports. Lots of rest is key (daily, weekly, monthly, yearly )

For pitchers, the most common overuse injuries are shoulder tendinitis (inflammation of the tendon),
back or neck pain, and elbow, forearm, and wrist tendinitis.

A research study in the Journal of Orthopedic & Sports Physical Therapy compared overhand and underhand “windmill” pitching. The study showed that torques on the arm during a fast-pitch delivery are similar to those of overhand pitching.

U of FL study has found that softball should have similar / same pitch count limits and rest that baseball does.

Injury prevention is pretty standard . Warm up, rest, good mechanicsn limiting repetitions (every rep causes muscle/tendons micro tear and breakdown )

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Not to respond for someone else, but there was no disagreement that injuries still exist from softball pitching. The reason there are pitch counts in baseball has little to no bearing on the windmill pitch in softball. As you know, it has to do with the shoulder and elbow support structures in kids being prone to damage due to the 'normal overhand throwing motion' which is an unnatural movement pattern. Although you can certainly pitch underhand in a manner that can cause similar damage, this isn't 'proper form' and not the norm for a majority.
If injury comes after
'a certain amount of throws'...
Its weird to limit only one positions overhand throws.
( overhand or under)

I caught back to back to back games...
Actually in travel caught 95% of the games i played.
My arm never wore out.
Including catching entire games over 20 innings.
Caught for 24 years thankfully no throwing arm injury or problems.

What i notice over my career being involved with softball athletes
Throwing injuries come from bad mechanics.
(Which can include a pitchers purposeful mechanics that may be bad for the body)

Obviously Taking care of our body
= a healthier body.
This includes through duration of days off!

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021
If injury comes after
'a certain amount of throws'...
Its weird to limit only one positions overhand throws.
( overhand or under)

I caught back to back to back games...
Actually in travel caught 95% of the games i played.
My arm never wore out.
Including catching entire games over 20 innings.
Caught for 24 years thankfully no throwing arm injury or problems.

What i notice over my career being involved with softball athletes
Throwing injuries come from bad mechanics.
(Which can include a pitchers purposeful mechanics that may be bad for the body)

Obviously Taking care of our body
= a healthier body.
This includes through duration of days off!
Agreed. If I had to make a logical guess, it has to do with the breakdown in normal throwing mechanics due to imparting spin on the ball. I'm not really sure however what age boys can throw spinning pitches.

I had a WICKED screwball as a kid. It was the only spinning pitch I could throw. At least once a game, I would get a stinger in my arm like I had hit my funny bone. Looking back on it, I was an idiot for thinking it was okay to throw that pitch. You can't count on a kid to know what is best for them, and I was no different.

Jun 7, 2020
On our last tournament of the season. Which was this past saturday we won 1st place. We used our second pitcher for a good chunk of the 2nd game. Dd pitched 1st, a little bit of 2nd game and all the 3rd game. After the meeting with the coach we were watching her pitch count. We were also watching her speed. If her speed would have dropped then we would pull her. She pitched great and hit great as well. I'm glad I talked to the coaches as well as my dd. My dd threw no where near the 311 pitches from the last tournament.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00