How to Play Softball During a Pandemic

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
For better or for worse, a CDC recommendation about whether parks can allow play or not carries about as much legal weight as a parent recommendation on the starting lineup.

Correct. The CDC has no legal authority.

But when somebody files that lawsuit against LL and the local park district, it sure looks good when you say “The United States Centers for Disease Control issued this recommendation, but you told me it was safe to play. You chose to ignore it and now I have hundreds of thousands of dollars in hospital bills. What qualifies you to know better than the CDC?”

May 29, 2015
"Little League baseball canceled its 2020 World Series tournaments and regional qualifying events Thursday because of health concerns related to the coronavirus outbreak."

"However, Little League Chief Executive Stephen Keener said local leagues can begin play after May 11 and hold district all-star tournaments as long as they adhere to local and state guidelines. "

LOL, talk about mixed messages... Looks like the Chief Executive is protecting his own butt from liability, and letting the locals proceed at their own risk...

And by “protecting his butt” you also mean the wallet in his back pocket. This way they can still charge teams.

Feb 15, 2017

But when somebody files that lawsuit against LL and the local park district, it sure looks good when you say “The United States Centers for Disease Control issued this recommendation, but you told me it was safe to play. You chose to ignore it and now I have hundreds of thousands of dollars in hospital bills. What qualifies you to know better than the CDC?”
You mean the same CDC that has repeatedly revised their numbers lower everyday as they they based their 'models' on some other model done just as poorly.

I think if you play it's an assumed risk just like hopping in the car.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Mar 22, 2016
Southern California
If other people are sitting out there with me it defeats the main purpose of me being out there,e.g. not hearing them say stupid stuff. If it comes to that I will likely just drop her off and follow on gamechanger so I know when to pick her up... :LOL:

I'm voting for 100 feet behind home plate, where possible. Keep bucking the trend.

May 29, 2015
You mean the same CDC that has repeatedly revised their numbers lower everyday as they they based their 'models' on some other model done just as poorly.

I think if you play it's an assumed risk just like hopping in the car.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

There is plenty the CDC has dropped the ball on ... [lengthy section on politics redacted] ... but you are showing a lack of understanding on how “modeling” works.

When you write a line-up, you are most likely using modeling. How often do you get it 100% right?

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
"Little League baseball canceled its 2020 World Series tournaments and regional qualifying events Thursday because of health concerns related to the coronavirus outbreak."

"However, Little League Chief Executive Stephen Keener said local leagues can begin play after May 11 and hold district all-star tournaments as long as they adhere to local and state guidelines. "

LOL, talk about mixed messages... Looks like the Chief Executive is protecting his own butt from liability, and letting the locals proceed at their own risk...
The LLWS the kids are all living together. It’s a completely different animal. Plus people come
From around the world.
Plus planning for an event that large would necessitate a large cash outlay early to prepare. Since they don’t know what’s going to happen they had to make the call.
Local stuff can be planned and done on a small scale and can happen fairly quickly.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL

Very true!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nabbott