How to Play Softball During a Pandemic

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
As an umpire, all I can say is ...

See you in 2021!

People who think these things are going to work are the same ones who think schools can keep kids 6 feet apart (and that there is enough room in the classroom to do that).

I definitely feel bad for the umpires that have to work with this. I can see half of the coaches/players/fans expecting the umpire to enforce every thing listed on the chart. And the other half complaining about it the entire time. In either case, the umpires are the ones that will hear most of the complaints.

Feb 25, 2018
Where you from blue man. Are you not umpiring due to safety or that you think there’ll be no summer softball. Mass here

I'm in MA and not calling games this summer, either. I'm 55 and my in-laws are with us until they can get to FL in September. Too risky.

I don't think much softball will be played in MA this summer. Maybe two team games in July or August, but no tourneys.

May 29, 2015
Where you from blue man. Are you not umpiring due to safety or that you think there’ll be no summer softball. Mass here

Multiple factors for me ...

I am in Illinois, but will be moving to Mississippi in a few months. So that will complicate things, but wouldn't make it impossible for me to umpire.

Illinois has extended their Stay-At-Home to May 30. Schools in my area are making contingency plans to continue e-learning IN THE FALL.

Mainly though: safety. I do not think we are through this and fully expect a larger (more widespread) second wave. It isn't so much that I am hiding out for my safety, but fewer people moving about and congregating equates to less spread, so it is more responsible for everybody's health. That is just my personal belief, so I won't get into more than that lest we offend the softball moderators.

I was scheduled to UIC this summer, so I know the vast majority of regular umpires that I have work with in my area (a pool of 50 or so) have said they will NOT be calling games this year.

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
I definitely feel bad for the umpires that have to work with this. I can see half of the coaches/players/fans expecting the umpire to enforce every thing listed on the chart. And the other half complaining about it the entire time. In either case, the umpires are the ones that will hear most of the complaints.

You know, that is a good point I didn't even think of. Are they going to expect umpires to enforce this? (I don't feel it is the umpires' responsibility -- but you know they are going to be yelled at.)

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
There will not be softball games with real social distancing. This is not going to work, so stop with all the silly attempts to make it safe. It is impossible to play softball and social distance simultaneously. If the catcher has covid then all the rules in the world won't stop a damn thing.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I was thinking about that as well. So between games you have everyone trying to crowd under the tent to get a little shade. Who will be going around telling them to break it up? Who will be telling parents they have to move because they are too close or in the wrong place? What happens if you run into some of those parents we've seen on the videos who decide ain't nobody gonna tell them nothin' about where to sit?

Having players outside the dugout seems like a nightmare too. Parents may not be sitting there, but they're going to have a lot more access to their DDs so they can offer them all types of advice and tell them why their coach is an idiot. I used to tell players if they left the dugout to sit with their parents I would arrange it so they'd have plenty of time to do so. I would hate that rule.

On a pop fly to center with a SS, 2B and CF converging, who is responsible for ensuring they maintain proper social distancing? Although I guess in my experience that usually takes care of itself, as they all decide to socially distance themselves from the ball.

It's going to be a weird summer. Can't wait until we can just get back to playing ball.

Jun 8, 2016
IMO, nobody but umps, coaches and players in the park is the only thing that will make any sort of difference (not even sure how much) and be reasonably enforceable. Doubt it happens though..

Everything else is eyewash (ok no handshake line after the game can be enforced I guess..)

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My father taught math in the same HS I went to. I once had a class that was 2 classrooms away from his, I could hear him better than my own teacher. Similarly, I have had professors from other classrooms come and shut the door to my classroom when I am teaching ( I usually make a point to do so but sometimes forget). Point being, no need for one of those in my family...
Ol Leather Lungs Pattar

Jun 8, 2016
Ol Leather Lungs Pattar
Pretty much..I get loud when I get excited about something which makes it hard when I am trying to explain things to my kids regarding sports..it sounds like I am yelling all the time when in reality I am just "getting into it"...My whole father's side of the family is like that (6 brothers..11 kids total) First time my wife went to a family gathering of mine she was like wth..

May 16, 2016
IDK... CDC does not seem to think we are ready to play ball yet...

CDC: Guidance for Administrators in Parks and Recreational Facilities

In general, most organized activities and sports such as basketball, baseball, soccer, and football that are held on park fields, open areas, and courts are not recommended during times in which individuals are encouraged or required to practice social distancing. These activities and sports typically require coaches and athletes who are not from the same household or living unit to be in close proximity, which increases their potential for exposure to COVID-19.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi