how to make a pitching an out door pitching mound

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Probably depends on what part of the country you are in. I would recommend brick dust if you are lucky enough to live near a brick factory. You may also want to ask your local parks and rec field maintenance guys what they top dress their fields with.

Feb 14, 2009
Probably depends on what part of the country you are in. I would recommend brick dust if you are lucky enough to live near a brick factory. You may also want to ask your local parks and rec field maintenance guys what they top dress their fields with.
Omaha , NE

Jul 26, 2010
Clear out a 10x3 rectangle about 8 inches deep. Put a 2 inch layer of gravel and then layer moundmaster or promound unfired clay bricks. Alternativly you can use mound clay instead of bricks layering 2 inches at a time and tamping, moistening, and adding the next layer. Place the rubber and bring the clay to about 3/4" beneath the top of the rubber using bagged mound clay. Tamp, and then cover with about 1/4"-1/2" of infield fines mixture.

You can get all that stuff from most material/dirt suppliers. Go to Promound or Moundmasters website and look for retailers in your area. Most will let you take as many 5 gallon buckets full of infield cover as you can carry for about $20 once you purchase the clay.

That's how I made mine, and it's held up for the last 5 years with regular maintenance.

-W

Feb 14, 2009
Clear out a 10x3 rectangle about 8 inches deep. Put a 2 inch layer of gravel and then layer moundmaster or promound unfired clay bricks. Alternativly you can use mound clay instead of bricks layering 2 inches at a time and tamping, moistening, and adding the next layer. Place the rubber and bring the clay to about 3/4" beneath the top of the rubber using bagged mound clay. Tamp, and then cover with about 1/4"-1/2" of infield fines mixture.

You can get all that stuff from most material/dirt suppliers. Go to Promound or Moundmasters website and look for retailers in your area. Most will let you take as many 5 gallon buckets full of infield cover as you can carry for about $20 once you purchase the clay.

That's how I made mine, and it's held up for the last 5 years with regular maintenance.

-W
thanks for the information , I will let you know how it goes

Jul 26, 2010
Here's a youtube video. I use two layers of bricks, hence 6 inches instead of 3. Since you usually have to buy the blocks by the pallet it makes more sense. Alternatively, you can sync up with your local rec league to split the cost on a pallet and help out their fields.

This is a batters box but the principle is the same for a pitching lane. I also alternate the seams on the blocks (like a brick wall) so you don't end up with cracks down the length of the lane.

-W

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying