making a pitching lane

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
Good evening! I am looking to make a 4' x 50' pitching lane at an old, grass infield TBall diamond. How perfect does the mound area need to be as far as dirt composition? Do I need just the dirt or add sand as well or what? I instruct mostly 10 and 12U with a few 14U. Thanks!

Sep 19, 2018
I just did this. I put Turface clay bricks. Flat is fine. You don’t need to put them on their side. If you don’t cover the clay it will dry up and crack. You need infield mix. 1/2 inch or so. Not much. Not conditioner. I was lucky enough to live 1:15 from beam clay to buy infield mix. I don’t think you need to go 3 feet wide with the bricks either.

Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
A lot depends on the native soil and what your budget is. Since this an outside facility it will get rained on so the soil or whatever you want to call it, has to be able to take water, it will cut down on the time that it can't be used. Obviously it will have to be groomed and the holes filled in, then tamped a bit. I would say pitch on it a couple of times and adjust from there. The lane/mound for the pitcher isn't going to be too big if you have to amend it.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Do you need it all worked on, or do you just need the circle area? My backyard cage just has a full-size turf batter's box turned sideways that we use for pitching. I used RCA underneath to help absorb moisture and provide stability. Also, it's easy to drive the pitching rubber nails deep enough to prevent it from slipping.

Jan 22, 2011
I just did this. I put Turface clay bricks. Flat is fine. You don’t need to put them on their side. If you don’t cover the clay it will dry up and crack. You need infield mix. 1/2 inch or so. Not much. Not conditioner. I was lucky enough to live 1:15 from beam clay to buy infield mix. I don’t think you need to go 3 feet wide with the bricks either.

I need to do this as a summer project at my DD’s High School.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
Do you need it all worked on, or do you just need the circle area? My backyard cage just has a full-size turf batter's box turned sideways that we use for pitching. I used RCA underneath to help absorb moisture and provide stability. Also, it's easy to drive the pitching rubber nails deep enough to prevent it from slipping.
What is RCA, please?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad