How to go about requesting a "handicap"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 25, 2016
Ok, so we are a small school in a big city. There's 3+ powerhouse teams in the city and 3+ more in the neighboring city. No serious athlete is ever going to want to come to this school for sports unless they live on the same block and their parents make them come here. We don't belong in a varsity league but that's what the AD put is in. If we were facing JV and freshmen squads of those powerhouses I'm sure these girls would have more fun, learn more and gain more confidence. Plus we wouldn't have to drive hours to face a team that will beat us by 15+ runs anyway. But I'm not the AD.

The pitchers that we're facing are too fast for us...we're not getting on base at all and put the ball in play only 1-2 times a game. The girls are getting discouraged and taking some of the opposing teams chants personal. Would it be proper to ask an opposing coach not to pitch their best pitcher? In other sports the teams that already know how badly we are, they send in their JV squad against us and that has actually allowed us to win at least 1 game in every sport so far. But we didn't request that. I'd also like to make a request of that sort (for them to send their JV squad to face us) before we face them, so would it be ok to e-mail a coach and set that up?

Sep 29, 2014
Might take a while for word to get around but you would think ADs and coaches would talk. I would think half way into the season word should get around and you should be seeing the second string after the first couple innings.

I think what you should try and do (next year) is get a heavy scrimmage and non conference schedule that is with other JV teams, since it wont count other schools probably won't care.

I'm not sure what you mean no one would come to your school...kids have to go to school where they live, right? You should get kids from within your boundary.

Your state should also segregate you with similar size schools for conference/league play?

I don't think any HS AD will field only a JV squad in sports, if you have enough girls 9-12 grade to play say at least 10 or 11 just get out there and give it your best.

Plus sports can be a strange thing if school size is not the issue, you might get lucky one year and get a couple stud freshman come in and build a powerhouse yourself.

May 6, 2015
alternative might be to ask the opposing coach to treat it as development game for his team. get some alternate pitchers some innings, move kids around in field, start reserves, etc. if they are that much better, still probably beat you handily, but probably not quite so bad, and his team benefits as well, more so than absolutely crushing you with normal lineups.

Sep 29, 2014
alternative might be to ask the opposing coach to treat it as development game for his team. get some alternate pitchers some innings, move kids around in field, start reserves, etc. if they are that much better, still probably beat you handily, but probably not quite so bad, and his team benefits as well, more so than absolutely crushing you with normal lineups.

Problem is if it is a conference game school is always going to play first two innings straight up and get a 10+ run lead...they would be silly not to, then after that they can afford to play around but if they goof off and lose a conference game they should have easily won the other teams AD will have a long talk with that coach

May 6, 2015
if disparity is as put by the OP, then even a mixed up lineup should get and hold a lead. and if someone game is close after 2-3 innings, coach can always put move to regular line up. but that reserve with more experience might come in handy late in season when regular stud SS goes down with a rolled ankle. no AD should be giving a coach grief about developing players, and coach will certainly have reserves and their parents in his corner.

can't imagine a predetermined game is much fun for either team.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
We have one of those schools in my area. They take a beating every game. What the other teams usually do is bring up a JV pitcher, or let their #3 or #4 start the game. Once it's confirmed that the team is who the coach thinks they are the starters come out and subs play. Sometimes the starters don't even see the field.

It's still a mismatch, but at least not as ugly as it could be. Perhaps other teams will do the same, or if they don't think of it themselves perhaps you can suggest it to them.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I believe you are a new HS Coach, if I remember correctly? You have to play 5 innings at a minimum. I would suggest to try and slow the game down for your girls. What I mean by that is place the pitching machine at 30 feet with some zip to it. Start by just having them get their bat on the ball, even if they foul it off. Eventually they will start hitting weak ground balls to the opposite side. When they face a pitcher at 43 feet the pitching won't seem as fast to them. Keep doing that every practice and the girls will start making contact during the game.

You also probably need to change your strategy, more bunting maybe? Only putting the ball in play 1-2 times a game isn't making the defense do anything. Remember good things happen when you make the other team field the ball.

Feb 25, 2016
I believe you are a new HS Coach, if I remember correctly? You have to play 5 innings at a minimum. I would suggest to try and slow the game down for your girls. What I mean by that is place the pitching machine at 30 feet with some zip to it. Start by just having them get their bat on the ball, even if they foul it off. Eventually they will start hitting weak ground balls to the opposite side. When they face a pitcher at 43 feet the pitching won't seem as fast to them. Keep doing that every practice and the girls will start making contact during the game.

You also probably need to change your strategy, more bunting maybe? Only putting the ball in play 1-2 times a game isn't making the defense do anything. Remember good things happen when you make the other team field the ball.

Thanks, I had wondered if moving the machine back would be beneficial. That's something we will do, and work on bunting.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD finished about .500 in MS.

We got destroyed some games, watching them messing around with thier pitchers on the sidelines they looked darn good too.

So I guess be careful asking for their #2 or #3 pitcher.

I would rather be whipped out by thier #1 pitcher. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06